Smacking Children Scotish Law

Wonderwall

The Scottish government this week, announced that they are to make the " smacking " of children a criminal offence .

Im interested in people's view on this. 

I think it's a great law. Unfortunately some kids need protection against their parents. I've always found it bizarre that it's an offence to hit an adult, but not a child??  It's stirred  up a fair old debate up here, what's the views on  here?

• Like 2

This is something close to my heart, there is no way on this planet that smacking children of any age will do any good whatsoever, violence breeds violence in my opinion

I remember once a few years ago in a shopping centre, hearing a man say "Shut the f...k up", I turned around thinking he was talking to a mate or a dog but no, a little two year old girl, what chance does she have with a Dad that talks to her like that? If anyone deems fit to smack my children I would gladly do a stint at Her Majesty's pleasure, that would probably make me as bad I hear you say but lay a finger on my defenceless kids, I wouldn't think twice

Grace

• Like 2

My dad never use to smack us, he use to give us a look and if that wasn’t enough, he had a walking cane down the side of his chair and the coffee table got a whack, while saying it’ll be your a**e next

it never was, but that was enough for us to stop whatever we were doing

we all knew dad would never hit us but we had that fear of what if

children these days don’t have that fear

they answer back, swear 

I was brought up to respect elders, sadly those days have long gone and I believe is half the problems society has today 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is no point in smacking a child if that punishment fails to work, however with some children it does work and for that reason alone it should not be outlawed. smacking is just one tool in the parents list of available punishments.

Where a parent cannot judge the difference between a loving but chastising smack against physical brutal and actual bodily harm, it is the parent that needs the "smack"

What I would be in favour of is for the parent to be given the birch if he/she gives their child a smack so violent it can be deemed as GBH, but the rules would  need to be made clear.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2