That Went Well :)

Cockatoo

Just returned from a week on Siesta 2 from Stalham.

I talked Debs into this trip at fairly short notice. Her first thought was that she wouldn't like it because of the 'sploshie' noise of the water against the hull while she was trying to sleep. This was based on the one night she had spent on a broads boat (or any boat) about 15 years ago when she came to Wroxham for the day and visited myself and a group of friends that were out for a short break. In the back of my mind was the idea of looking for a boat share eventually but this obviously depended on how Debs and our two Jack Russels took to the idea.

So last Saturday we set off, me, Debs, Les (FIL) and two small dogs (Jack and Tilly). We arrived at Stalham a bit early at about 12.00 and reception told us to go back at 12.30 to find out what time our boat would be ready. Debs and Les went off to Tesco to stock up on essential supplies leaving me and the dogs to wander round the boatyard.  It turned out it would be ready at 14.30 so it was time for lunch in the Swan. Back at the boatyard we collected buoyancy aids (inc Jack and Tilly's) and had completed the handover, unpacked and returned the cases to the car and were off by about 15.10. the weather was lovely, especially for October and the cruise down to Ludham Bridge was beautiful, We moored downstream of the bridge and were set for our evening meal at the Dog. In the morning I got up first as usual, took the dogs for a quick walk and then got the kettle on. Poor old Les isn't used to being awake this early. The strange thing is when he was working he used to start really early but in the last couple of years since he retired he sleeps like a teenager!

Eventually we set off. All the way to Salhouse Broad where the dogs had a good run in the woods and we had bacon sandwiches for breakfast. Interestingly Debs commented that "next time we need a boat with two cabins". If that's not a buying signal I don't know what is :)

Off we went to have a look at Wroxham but the only place to moor was the Hotel Wroxham so we only stayed for a couple of drinks

IMGP5407.JPG.49b54cc93a045158417129d4dc39ad5c.JPG

and headed back to Horning. we were lucky and managed to get a  mooring at the New Inn which was us set up for the evening meal.

The next morning saw us heading for Ranworth were we moored on the island to give the dogs a run. This was Les' first attempt with the ball-thrower.

Throw.JPG.712520ea82d9ab3da8b04d75d6676e86.JPG

He got better and the dogs had a great time.

IMGP5434.JPG.7c645eb487ee087c79d251141f933b7d.JPG

(TBC)

• Like 12

The great news was that everybody enjoyed it. Les spent most of the last day scouring the hire websites for "next time" and we have a week booked already for May. I also have instructions from SWMBO to book a short break before then just for us two :)

• Like 6

From Ranworth Island we went to have a look at St Benets Abbey. Mooring at St Benets we saw this :(

IMGP5349.JPG.654a41487d605752e73cd8b976914f75.JPG

We actually saw a few dead fish and speaking to a couple of anglers they reckoned it was because of salt walter coming higher up the river because of the recent high tides.

IMGP5358.JPG.76c4f5c2ef6d0bb6bc02600a57c50186.JPG

The gatehouse

IMGP5365.JPG.b37046610bae597b77c528f819f3185b.JPG

From St Benets it was off to the Bridge at Acle for some lunch and then a slow cruise up to Thurne Dyke to moor for the night

IMGP5390.JPG.ae14ab5578f1d7196b474838d1ce6bd8.JPG

(TBC)

• Like 6

When you get spring tides the wate empties out of the broads more than normal at low tide and fills more than Normal from the sea at High tide.

Added to this we had a storm over the north sea, giving low air pressure, raising the water level more.

Therefore you'll get salt water surge up the broads

Not a lot more to report really. That night we moored at Thurne Dyke but unfortunately there was no food at the Lion. Acle Spice came to the rescue with a delivery :)

then it was on to Potter Heigham for some shopping followed by a night at the Maltsters at Ranworth.

The next day saw us moored in Faircraft Loynes at Wroxham for a pump out, a few drinks in the Boatshed and Fish and Chips onboard.

Thursday it was pasties from Horning for lunch followed by another night at Ludham Bridge and a visit to the Dog. 

Friday night saw us at the White Horse, Neatishead leaving us with a short run up to Stalham to return the boat Saturday morning.

Mission accomplished.

Everyone had a lovely relaxing time and back at Stalham we booked another week on a different boat (two cabins) for us all in May,

Debs is sold on the idea of buying a share and after contacting Alan (ranworthbreeze) we are going to take a look over Ranworth Breeze next month :)

• Like 5