Hello.

josiejohn

Hi, my name is John and we have been hiring boats on the broads on and off for a number of years. We will soon have the opportunity to buy our own boat. We would welcome any advice. Our needs are, sleeps 6,decent living space. Needs to be able to go under Wroxham bridge. We have been looking at the bounty 37 style boats and like the centre cockpit style boats. We would like a boat already with railings, electric winch and 240v shore power. Bear in mind we will need a survey and possible work our budget all in would be tops £35000.broads boats always appear to be over priced so what is a realistic price for what we would like?. 

• Like 1

A word of advice, find the right boat, obvious really, but be wary of ones subsequently bodged by obsessive DIYers and especially those subject to open planning by out of control house builders who know it all. There are more than a few ruined boats on the Broads, casualties of such ignorance.

You should be able to get a nice boat for your budget, don't be afraid to look above your price range, as advertised and actual sale prices are often further apart than you might think.

Hello John,

Welcome to the NBN forum.

Have a look at the various boat sales on Broads, the likes of the NYA will send you a weekly email with all the used boats they have for sale, sadly they have just sold a Bounty 40 (8 berth) with was just within your budget.

I agree that you may be better off as others have suggested that you tie down your search to a couple of similar boats and then search nation wide at the various brokers.

Regards

Alan

We have three styles of boat we would like and have decided to up our budget to around £50000.but that would be  boat with bow thruster, electric winch, shore power, etc. We would like the bounty style of boat, the type of boat wit centre steering and sliding roof or the duel control style of boat. The other option is one of those styles very cheap and then refit it how we want. 

• Like 1

We have three styles of boat we would like and have decided to up our budget to around £50000.but that would be  boat with bow thruster, electric winch, shore power, etc. We would like the bounty style of boat, the type of boat wit centre steering and sliding roof or the duel control style of boat. The other option is one of those styles very cheap and then refit it how we want. 

Just my thoughts but having had a share in Evening Shadow (Centre Cockpit, Aquafibre 38) and Thunder (Dual steer, Diamond 43) I would say that the centre cockpit is a fantastic summer boat but in the colder months that sliding roof used to leak heat like a sieve! In my opinion Thunder is a a better all year round boat but it would be better without the sliding roof as even here it does get drafts. I assume the more modern sliding roof and canopies are better insulated though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1