Gramps And The Lads Back On The Broads

Gramps

Well that time of the year again and Myself Craig Ben Dean Jamie and Owen are back on the Broad with a female this time, Bella, Craigs black Labrador. Arrived at Richos about 12-45pm, never seen it so busy, but soon booked in and after a quick trip to Tesco at Stallham we were on our way by 2-30pm. Last year we vowed never to visit the Sutton Staithe hotel again after a poor meal and even worse service. but needing a sheltered mooring out of the reach of Storm Brian we decided to give it another try, so glad we did. The food was excellent the service was not the best but an improvement on last year, and a bonus was that they had  put a pool table back in the games room.

A pleasant couple of hours spent it was back to the boat for a few hands of cards, or so we thought, table set up, a few cans from the fridge at the ready, but the evening curtailed by a failure of the domestic batteries, a premature lights out,  we did have to run the engine after the 8pm threshold, apologies for any inconvenience., so an early night it was to be..

Today Sunday first stop back to the boatyard for a new set of batteries fitted without too much delay and off we set for Gaye's Staithe for a late breakfast. This was our first visit to this mooring we have missed out on a gem, a lovely place to moor.. Only 4 boats on the mooring but one was side on in the stern on moorings, another moored bow first but we managed to get in the corner without any trouble. Breakfast over and we were soon underway next stop Ludham Bridge for a visit to the shops, The tackle shop was closed so that saved Craig a penny or two. The journey down the Ant could be likened to an hour and a half ride on dodgems at a fairground.

We  decided on Womack Water for our overnight stop with Thurne Dyke  as our back up destination. Womack was full but plenty of space near the Lion Inn. A good choice, a nice meal and good beer another nice evening.. The card school is now in full swing back on the boat, a couple of cans to consume then off to bed

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

I had intended updating this tale on a nightly basis whilst away but lack of signal in places, then a shortage of data allowance curtailed activity. I use a MIFI unit with payg simcards on 3 network, but as Ben had an offer of Year 4 apprenticeship while we were travelling to Stalham he was given sole access to the unit so he could upgrade his CV and fill in the online application form and compose and send a covering letter.During this time his laptop decided it was a good time to do a major update, wiping clean the 3gb data sim we had just put in. Enough waffle, time to get back to the tale now other holiday threads seem to have run their course.

The fishing so far has been very good, but on Sunday evening, Owen my youngest Grandson, had the misfortune to "Hook a Duck" The bird was quickly netted and the hook removed from its bill and was soon back in the water no worse for the experience with a few ruffled feathers, Owen was most upset by the event. A lesson learned here not to buy too short a rod for young children, the Rod must be longer than the depth of water that they are fishing in when float fishing or they will be unable to control the end trace on the retrieve.

Monday 23rd.

After breakfast we made our way to Potter Heigham for a visit to Lathams, the moorings on the river looked full but we spotted a couple of boats getting ready to leave, so turning near the bridge we cruised slowly up to these boats and moved into the empty space making sure we left the other vacated space available for another boat. When these two boats left the moorings one of them caught and dislodged a keep net on a moored boat in front, causing the net to sink without trace. Despite the anglers best attempts the net could not be retrieved so he was out of pocket and worst of all an estimated 20-25lb of skimmers and roach were condemned to lingering death.

A visit to Lathams tackle shop and supermarket for Bread completed we were on our way once more, we phoned the New Inn at horning hoping for table for six and a mooring for that evening but they were fully booked, so our preferred destination was the Maltsters.

• Like 8

Lovely to read and mentally transport myself to the Broads having just struggled for 3.5 hours to get to work through the latest SWT Train strike.

I am now serenely cruising round that lovely U from Thurne, past Oby and round to St Benet's..........

Oh bu**er, no I'm not, I'm in EC2 and stuck in front of a load of screens, Oh well !

Looking forward to the rest of your holiday Gramps.

Best wishes

Charles

002.JPG

• Like 1

Here is a snapshot of the Fella who lost his keep net, must say he was more chilled about it than I would have been. A steady cruise along the Thurne, we were in no hurry, the weather dry with the cloud cover clearing and really quite mild for late October., The river traffic was light a big improvement on hustle and bustle of Saturday afternoon trip from Stalham. Thurne mill astern of us we were soon turning right  and heading upstream along the Bure. River traffic increased as we passed St Benets and as we turned for Malthouse Broad we started thinking of an alternative mooring place should Ranworth Staithe be full. Our fears were groundless as we spotted 2 available spaces both a little tight, but its amazing how soon crews of boats appear on deck to make space when they see one of Clives 8-10 berth bathtubs reversing towards them. They did not need to fret. Safely moored time for a nice cup of tea.

Tea Break over time for the lads to do a spot of fishing, and for Ben and myself to fill the water tank and me to take a shower while the water was hot. Ben isn't into fishing so spent the time completing his job application letter.4 people fishing in the front well is the absolute maximum so I decided my time would be better spent perusing the Maltsters menu while sampling a pint of East Anglia's finest bitter, at the same time finding out which part of pub we could use with Bella in tow.(at the Lion the previous night a table was reserved for us in the bar area). Ben decided it was a two man job so promplty joined me.

Liquid refreshment purchased, question about Bella asked (answer was she is welcome anywhere) Ben and I chilled for a while.

Back to the boat and only two lads fishing so I joined in for an hour. there were plenty of small roach, skimmers and perch eagerly taking the baits, a pleasant evening too.

We decided on an early evening meal on the advice of the bar staff who had said that 7-8pm was usually  quite busy. We were seated with drinks a little after 5-30pm  and as they don't take food orders till 6pm we sat and chatted about the plans for the next few days. The food and drink as usual was good and plentiful, After the meal some of the lads went back to the boat while Craig and myself had a "father and son" chat over another pint. Living 90 miles apart we don't get the  chance often these days.

Back to the boat and an early night for me, the excellent beer soon had me in a deep sleep.

SnapShot net.jpg

IMAG1048.jpg

• Like 9

Lovely out there this time of year. 

I can appreciate your dilemma though. Beer/fishing, beer/fishing, beer/fishing. 

Yep if you can't have both.........:default_beerchug:

not wishing to steal your blog but why do so many pleasure anglers still insist on using a keep net? I do wonder if it's something to do with less monitoring because do that on most lakes and your off!!!

anyway back to your tale and sounds good once the batteries were sorted. :default_beerchug:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

Lovely out there this time of year. 

I can appreciate your dilemma though. Beer/fishing, beer/fishing, beer/fishing. 

Yep if you can't have both.........:default_beerchug:

not wishing to steal your blog but why do so many pleasure anglers still insist on using a keep net? I do wonder if it's something to do with less monitoring because do that on most lakes and your off!!!

anyway back to your tale and sounds good once the batteries were sorted. :default_beerchug:

completely agree with you re-keep nets, I don't need to see a net full of fish at the end of the day I am happy to catch and release straight away, nothing to prove. However I believe in freedom of choice for other anglers as long as they stick to guidelines and don't overload nets or keep fish for too long why should they not have the same rights as match men. This would make for an interesting topic in " fishing" section

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Gramps said:

completely agree with you re-keep nets, I don't need to see a net full of fish at the end of the day I am happy to catch and release straight away, nothing to prove. However I believe in freedom of choice for other anglers as long as they stick to guidelines and don't overload nets or keep fish for too long why should they not have the same rights as match men. This would make for an interesting topic in " fishing" section

Ha ha. I'm not going there. Your trying to tease me:default_icon_bowdown:

As you say each to their own. 

My net would be empty anyway so why make one wet. 

• Like 1

"Hook a Duck"  Easy for you to say :default_blush:

caught and dislodged a keep net on a moored boat in front, causing the net to sink without trace. Despite the anglers best attempts the net could not be retrieved so he was out of pocket and worst of all an estimated 20-25lb of skimmers and roach were condemned to lingering death.

Why oh why are some anglers still using keep nets?  In my earlier years (and to my now eternal shame) we always used a keep net as a matter of course (Pun intended), looking back we used them for no real or good reason, imho they are barbaric and cruel to the fish.  Only time there is an 'Excuse' if one is match fishing.  Each to their own I suppose, but no longer for the likes of me, in fact I no longer own one - consigned it to the skip years ago once I had been better educated.  During our annual Lads Week afloat, there is not a keep net in sight anywhere, and woe betide anyone who even suggests using one if they are part of 'My' crew

Anyroadup Gramps - thoroughly enjoying your holiday tale

Griff

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

"Hook a Duck"  Easy for you to say :default_blush:

caught and dislodged a keep net on a moored boat in front, causing the net to sink without trace. Despite the anglers best attempts the net could not be retrieved so he was out of pocket and worst of all an estimated 20-25lb of skimmers and roach were condemned to lingering death.

Why oh why are some anglers still using keep nets?  In my earlier years (and to my now eternal shame) we always used a keep net as a matter of course (Pun intended), looking back we used them for no real or good reason, imho they are barbaric and cruel to the fish.  Only time there is an 'Excuse' if one is match fishing.  Each to their own I suppose, but no longer for the likes of me, in fact I no longer own one - consigned it to the skip years ago once I had been better educated.  During our annual Lads Week afloat, there is not a keep net in sight anywhere, and woe betide anyone who even suggests using one if they are part of 'My' crew

Anyroadup Gramps - thoroughly enjoying your holiday tale

Griff

I never said that!!!! But.......

back in the 70s we all used them as kids. It was a bit of a "look what I caught" thing. And we did to know better  

I even remember proper hesian sacks for carp!!

i find it easier now to put them straight on the BBQ! JOKE. :default_icon_bowdown::default_icon_bowdown:

As i said. Sorry we hijacked your thread. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Only time there is an 'Excuse' if one is match fishing. 

Well matches could be run like about 95% of all sea matches,  CMR (catch measure Return) the angler next to if not fishing a pairs peg, if a pairs peg the next angler, on a peg not connected to the person who caught it,  measures and signs the card on each catch with the length of the fish at time of capture before release (it is released by both the measurer and catcher together, so no cheating can be done). No longer do you see heaps of tings etc going in bins after weigh ins.

Charlie

• Like 2

you beat me to it Charlie, Having been involved in the match scene on the East and North East coast for many years that is the way we solved the problem. Was not popular to start with but we all came to accept it was for the best.

Ron

4 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

Well matches could be run like about 95% of all sea matches,  CMR (catch measure Return) the angler next to if not fishing a pairs peg, if a pairs peg the next angler, on a peg not connected to the person who caught it,  measures and signs the card on each catch with the length of the fish at time of capture before release (it is released by both the measurer and catcher together, so no cheating can be done). No longer do you see heaps of tings etc going in bins after weigh ins.

Charlie

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gramps said:

you beat me to it Charlie, Having been involved in the match scene on the East and North East coast for many years that is the way we solved the problem. Was not popular to start with but we all came to accept it was for the best.

Ron

Yes i match fished in the sea, from the mid 1960's till the mid 1990's when the old ticker put paid to that. The first Essex matches where we started that was the Wednesday evening autumn series in the late 70's, not popular  then but normal these days. No heaps of dead fish discarded after weigh in. I still know lots of matchmen, and also top caster's world wide, so yes sea matching saw the light years ago why not freshwater anglers and matchmen. In fact in the 1980's both our shops stopped selling keepnets.

Charlie

• Like 2

Tuesday

As just mentioned a good nights sleep helped by the fine Maltsters ale enjoyed by me, the rest of the crew were not so lucky they were awakened by a strange whirring noise being emitted from somewhere near the middle cabins and the engine hatch.it turned out to be the water pump switching itself on without taps being turned on. Water pump switch at the helm was turned off and they all went back to bed. In the morning we decided to head for Horning and if we could find a mooring we would call Richardsons out .Craig took Bella for her morning walk she had really taken to this boating lark after a uncertain start. After breakfast and a spot of fishing by the lads while we washed the pots we were underway heading towards horning. The water pump was behaving itself now but the problem was to return later in the day

Slow cruise through Horning did not reveal any vacant mooring spots so we carried on towards Wroxham. We never make a rigid plan we just make it up as we go along although we do have favourite places we like to include at some point during the week. The river traffic was getting very busy by now with many crews travelling really fast doing their best to empty their diesel tanks as quickly as possible.

When we passed the bridge height gauge for Wroxham it was showing almost 7ft the tide was still ebbing at this point so we knew we would probably be ok for the pilot to take us through if we wanted to spend a day upstream.

As we came in to sight of the bridge we could see two boats on the pilot moorings and another behind in midstream so we went into Faircraft Loynes. Their basin, adjacent to the car park and the road was virtually empty so here we moored. Cup of tea time before we look around the place.

A few minutes spent on the bridge watching the comings and goings on the river, then off to Roys food hall for provisions, we don’t cook an evening meal on board but do have a full English each morning. We decided we were going to overnight in the boatyard and would have a takeaway later. Next stop was the Angling Direct fishing tackle shop where a few minor purchases were made, Oh plus a keep net by Owen paid for out of his holiday money he been saving for the last 10 months, (Sorry Mark and Griff but I am not going to moralise with my 10 year old Grandson even though I do agree with your sentiments, he can make his own decisions when he is older, Grandads are there for the fun things in life .I promise that will be my last reference to  Keepnets for the duration of this tale) We then had a walk by the riverside back to the  bridge and then the boat to put the perishable goods in the fridge. The water pump was running again!

Time for lunch, we decided on the Hotel Wroxham, we had already decided we were not going through the bridge didn’t want to spend a day that side for a 3 hour cruise. So a leisurely lunch overlooking the river. At one point there were 7 vessels rafted up waiting for the pilot, at this point the two NBD passenger vessels returned, mayhem for a few minutes ensued. It was now time to go back to the boat to give a few maggots a bath.

The fishing was surprisingly good with roach rudd skimmers and nice perch netted. The bites continued until it started to get dark, so we called it a day got cleaned up and went back over the bridge for our takeaways.

Dinner over we decided to go to find the “Shed” a place often maligned on other internet sites but we decided to visit and form our own opinion. We took Bella with us even though we were unsure whether dogs were allowed, and she was also showing signs of coming into “season. The latter fact confirmed by the unwanted attentions of a free roaming Shih tzu . So back to the boat for her and confined to barracks for the duration apart from her regular walks in the quieter spots.

We were pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere of the place even though the bitter on tap was not the best, I did find one that suited my pallet. The lads had a few frames of pool then a game or two at the dartboard, a good evening spent time to return to the boat, That water pump running again! We decided to put up with it for the time being, not wanting to spend more time in the boatyard in the morning. We were going to try for a mooring at Horning again tomorrow.

• Like 7

Wednesday

Up early this morning, traffic noise near this mooring starts early and finishes late but it is close to all amenities, Craig was already up and out with Bella, so I decided to fill the water tank there is a good flow on these pipes so the job didn’t take long. My task was made easier by another boat hirer wanting the hose when I was finished. His boat was 3 spaces above ours in the middle of the quay there are two hoses available, one at each end, he had chosen the wrong one. After dragging it all the way to his boat he found it was short by a couple of metres. I did offer to help him put the hose back when he was finished but he said it was not necessary. So I released a few more coils so it would reach his boat

I am surprised that boat yard operators do not fit taps to the end of hoses, it would save a lot of water over the season. Time to give a few more maggots a bath, but the fish were not so active this morning, just a few skimmers landed. By now Jamie and Owen were awake so we chose to travel a little before we had breakfast, with Wroxham island our first choice destination, if full we would continue to Salhouse and drop the mud weight. We just managed to fit into the one available space and clear the escape ladder by about a foot.

My turn in the Galley and I realised it was going to be a challenge, boats of all shapes and sizes blasting past in both directions we were being buffeted by the excess wash. After about 15 minutes calm was restored although there was still heavy traffic Ben had a look outside and reported that there was a launch behind us with blue lights on the cabin roof, thank you guys. Breakfast over we were all sitting in the bow well drinking tea when the launch crew came walking past, they stopped for a chat before disappearing into the undergrowth at the end of the mooring. As we left the mooring we spotted them with blue marigolds on searching through what looked like bin liners.

Our journey to Horning was uneventful but very pleasant, the weather fine and sunny, river traffic was very heavy, not much chance of a mooring we assumed at Horning so next on favourites list Womack water was decided on as backup plan. We wanted to include Womack, my favourite mooring place, I argued that Wednesday was our best chance as on Thursday night it would be the last night for HWs Monday to Friday boaters.

Our best hope for horning was probably the Ferry inn but the only available spaces were reserved for day boats. There were plenty of spaces opposite but we had no intention of feeding that parking meter, Cockshoot was very busy and we didn’t think our boat would fit in the only available space..

After passing Ant mouth the volume of traffic decreased significantly and by Thurne mouth it was as though we had the river to ourselves. Different story in Womack Dyke only 2 short mooring spaces available there. We were still optimistic and conscious of two vessels astern that had come down from PH. There was only one space available on the Staithe, we knew we had to get this mooring right or we were likely to miss out. Fears were unfounded and we were straight in at the first attempt. During the last few days we had come to accept that there was a free for all attitude and Broads etiquette was sunk without a trace. We are used to the quieter half term weeks, but with one week being in November when Richardson’s are closed to hirers, we had to bite the bullet and join the “madding crowd” would we do it again? Probably yes, there is no such thing as a bad week on the Broads for some of us.

Safely tied up  Craig was off for a walk with Bella, Jamie and Owen were off to bend the ear of the tackle shop owner, Dean was sitting on the roof of the boat trying to find a signal so he could contact his girlfriend, for Ben and myself it was off to the shop for provisions and to use the ATM, followed by grandad and grandson time in the Kings Arms, a chance to catch up on his apprenticeship application and his current progress with his near completed 3rd year IT  apprenticeship. A couple of frames of pool taken and an enquiry about table availability for our evening meal, the only available slot in the restaurant was 8pm, which we accepted. We walked back to the boat to inform the rest of the crew about the evenings dining arrangements and inform them that a carvery was an option. Dean and Jamie hired a pedallo for an hour after making sure they were allowed to take their fishing rods with them. Fully kitted out with the fishing essentials they pedalled off to the far extremities of Womack Water.

I think the fishing from the front well of our boat was better but having said that Dean and Jamie enjoyed their adventure.

The pub was all decorated in the Halloween theme a bonus for Owen, we were seated promptly and our orders taken, Craig Ben and myself opted for the Carvery option, a good choice. A selection of five meat choices including two different beef options, we were the last to use the carvery but the vast veg choice was still very fresh and well prepared. The other three meals were also of a very good standard. If you have not sampled the Kings Arms carvery give it a try I don’t think you will be disappointed. When we received the bill it was the cheapest of the week and by far the best value so far. We retired to the bar so the lads could have a game of pool. A family were monopolising the table but when Craig and Dean put their coins down they did stand down so we could have a frame or two. Soon it was time to return to the boat and for Craig to take Bella for her evening walk after which we all retired  making sure the water pump was turned off!

• Like 10

Great writeup. Interesting to read how busy the rivers and the moorings were. We are fortunate to be able to avoid school holidays and those busier times now that our children are grown up. But your tale is exactly why it can be better not to have a plan and just take each day as it comes ... although when we were there I was doing the same as you in terms of thinking which yard's boats might be using which moorings the night before or after the busiest changeover days.

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 13:33, Gramps said:

........ he can make his own decisions when he is older, Grandads are there for the fun things in life ......

Well I'll have the job of teaching my little Grandson about football and fishing as the SiL does neither. Fishing wise he can make his own decisions, football wise he can't, he'll do as he's told and his life will be a misery forever, just like mine has been... (Thanks Grandad!!)

Loving your write up.:1310_thumbsup_tone1:

• Like 1

Thursday

Really nice and quiet on this mooring but three of us had a disturbed nights sleep,  too much food consumed too close to bedtime was the probable cause. Up and dressed by eight to find Craig was already up and walking Bella. Pot of tea made, time to enjoy a cuppa on deck. Already there was activity with boats getting ready to depart, others who had spent the night on the mud weight and early morning arrivals all circling like vultures looking for shore access. We had two full bin liners to dispose of in the forward well but not wanting to disturb sleeping crew members they could be dealt with later, time to fill the water tank. The flow from this pipe is extremely slow so would take some time to fill. Whilst waiting for this another vessel came close by asking for the water hose next even though he hadn’t got a mooring yet, but he was moored 2 spaces from us  by the time we had enough water. Bending the hose double to stop the flow I called him to collect the hose .”just drop another few coils so it will reach my boat” said he!! Now I am quite willing to help anyone who asks for help politely but being in my mid seventies I do not take orders from anyone. This guy, who I will label Mr Arrogance was with his family and a large brown dog aboard a Green sedan style cruiser from Richardsons, I will not name the boat but feel sure if Mr Arrogance reads this he will recognise himself from the description.

This was not the end of the story, when I replaced the cap and returned the water key to its place I set off to dispose of our full bin liners, one of Mr As family was manning the tap. When I returned 25 metres of hose was still lying on the quayside but the boat had gone.

Over breakfast we discussed the day ahead, I suggested a run down to Acle or Stokesby, never been in the pub at Stokesby but had heard good reports about the food, being an all male party we were barred until recently.

I was outvoted in favour of another attempt at a mooring in Horning even though we knew the New Inn was fully booked.

Horning was even busier than yesterday so back down the Bure we went, as we approached Acle Bridge Jamie and Dean recognised the place from 2 years ago, “this is the place with the Arcade and Play Area” Jamie said,“can we moor here for the night? So the decision was made. We moored outside the pub as far away from the road as we could to avoid the traffic noise. Craig took Bella for a walk, Dean Jamie and Owen disappeared in the direction of the arcade and play area, Ben finally had enough signal to forward his CV and application form and I got to catch up on emails etc.

We enquired at the pub about a table reservation but was told the restaurant was fully booked, but if we notified the staff on arrival of our requirements we would be placed on a list and allocated a table as soon as possible in the bar area. Least busy time would be about six pm. That suited us fine.

Craig and Jamie started fishing, fish close in were few and far between, but Jamie got his tactics spot on and was getting a fish every cast. He was using a pellet feeder with maggot hook bait in the middle of the river. They fished through until it started to get dark. We were treated to a fantastic sunset this evening, the best of the week

We went across to the pub about 6-15pm and were seated before 7pm, good service as usual. The meal service was a little slow but they were very busy by now, the quality as usual was very good, the staff were very friendly. Mooring here is £5 overnight but a total refund is given against food purchased. Another very nice night out in pleasant surroundings.

SnapShotwm2.jpg

SnapShot wm1.jpg

• Like 9

Friday

Very strange but the crew were not so eager to arise this morning, I was usually woken by Craig as he took Bella for a walk, the tell tale noise of the creaking floor near the engine hatch was the only alarm needed. Could it be the impending end of the holiday feeling? There was no river traffic noise but when I ventured outside most of our neighbours for the night had already departed.

Craig took Bella for a walk through the boatyards and riverside checking out Pedro’s on the way. We knew we needed bread, beans and a pack of bacon if we all were to .have breakfast, but not wanting to dice with death on the road to Acle we decided to make the 15 minute cruise to the little shop at Stokesby.

Another lovely sunny morning, we moored on the farm moorings just downstream of the pub. Dean Jamie Owen and Craig dashed off to the shop. My turn as Galley slave, so all remaining sausages under the grill, bacon sizzling in the frying pan, tin and half of tomatoes in the pan ready. At this point the lads returned to say the shop would not be opening today because of a funeral. Well not quite a loaves and fishes event, so we would make do.

Dean said he didn’t want breakfast, Craig said he was not bothered but I convinced him there would be enough. It was me that was going without, Owen’s breakfast all week was bacon and beans, no beans available so he would have a bacon sandwich with one of the two slices of bread available, Jamie’s breakfast request sausage and tomatoes, no problems there, so Ben and Craig would share what was left. Plenty of eggs left but they only wanted one each. All served I went to sit on the stern to cool down and enjoy the lovely autumn sunshine while the kettle was boiling. We emptied the teapot washed the pots and started our journey back to Stalham.

The mood of the crew was a little subdued as it always is on the last full day of our holiday, but as we passed under Acle bridge in the clear blue skies spirits raised a little.

We always spend the last night in the boatyard this gives us chance to pack the cars before spending the evening in Stalham. In previous years we have stopped at How hill for a few hours fishing but with the expected high volume of river traffic we decided to re-visit Gayes Staithe instead. Traffic on the Ant was quite light but the moorings at Ludham Bridge were busy. How hill mooring were unusually quiet with 3 cruisers and two day boats the only occupants. Gayes on the other hand was fully occupied so back to the boatyard we went, it was no problem we always catch fish in Kingfisher.

On the journey from Stokeby when not at the helm Craig and I had sorted our clothing out and packed away everything except a change for our last night and the journey home in the morning. Once moored up we loaded all we could into the cars in readiness, then time for a bit of fishing. By 4-30pm I had enough so the rest of my fishing tackle was loaded into the car, the toilet, bathroom and Galley cleaned, I showered and changed ready for the evening.

Our usual place for dinner on the last night is the Swan in Stalham, they always make room for us. This time the restaurant was fully booked, think there was an Halloween event taking place, but tables were moved around in the bar area so that we could dine there. When we were seated the rest of the bar was empty within 15minutes all tables were occupied. What we like about this place is they don’t rush you to place your order, they don’t try to get you to leave when you have finished your meal, if you want another couple of rounds of drinks that is ok. The meals are substantial and reasonably priced. All too soon it was time to leave after a diversion to Tesco for a sweet fix for the lads.

Next morning I was up by 7-30am, what a difference in the weather, cold cloudy with a biting wind, reminded me of my home on the Lincolnshire coast. After completing my ablutions I went in search of the yard guys to check us out. They had just finished refuelling a more modern vessel close by so came straight to us, fuel usage £48-70, refund due £101-30, good result. I mentioned that we used an almost identical amount  last year, he said the hull that Ultimate Gem had was one of the most economical on the fleet, He then showed me the figures for the other boat they had refuelled, figures similar but other way round, they had used £102 worth of fuel on the northern broads.

Buoyancy aids returned, refund collected, we were ready for our journey home by 9am We would meet up at the Farm café on the A17 for a late breakfast before going our separate ways. Ben would be going home with till Sunday then his mother would meet us at Lincoln to take him home

Will we be back? Feel sure some of us will be, It would be a shame not to use the loyalty discount we have accrued over the past five years.

• Like 10

Enjoyed your write up and photos as always, that last morning feeling is just the worst isn’t it.

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up :default_beerchug:

For future reference there is a safe track that runs behind the hedge adjacent to the road up to Acle ( on the Bridge pub side) it takes you right up to where you cross the road and turn right towards the village

• Like 1