Two Old Kids On Holiday..

Wyndham

Really fantastic week, one of the best ever.  I’ll tell you some stuff but it’s mostly boring.

Unlucky for some, Friday the 13th and I had packed the car and waiting for Mrs W to finish work so we could set off.

We were so excited, one reason being after hiring various craft this time we’d gone back to basic single level bathtub style, our first ever hire.

So, off we went and while we knew we’d be arriving late the traffic started to make that later and later. The yard shut at 5, google maps had us arriving at 4-50 so we resigned ourselves to a night in the yard. On route the yard rung us to ask when we’d arrive and now google said 4-45, fine they said, and we did arrive bang on 4-45.

Now here’s something that I think is important to say, despite us arriving close to home time on a Friday afternoon at no time did I feel we were an inconvenience, so much so that the guy who took us through the handover was so thorough, more so than was necessary. Knowing we had hired many times before he could have been on his way in 2 minutes but instead took the time to be sure he’d explained everything, staying after his finishing time.

It was a lovely evening and we had a decision to make. The boat was a mess as we’d put nothing away, stay where we were in the yard or head off somewhere, we had just under an hour before it got dark.

We set off, but after seeing the first six wild moorings we passed taken, we decided it was busy on the rivers and went back to the yard, but not actually the yard, the grassy bit on the port side as you leave,........ where the wasps nests are.:default_icon_e_surprised:

So we deploy the rhond anchors and make secure and are happily enjoying  the fading light at the start of our holiday, Mrs W mentions there are a lot of” flies” where we have moored.

There went our lovely Oct evening drinking wine outside on the boat at the start of our holiday.

Followed by a restless night thinking” bugger, I’ve got to get them rhond anchors out in the morning”

More boring stuff to follow…

• Like 12

We were on Swan Reflection 2

You know when you have a restless nights sleep, when you always seem to be half asleep, trying to solve problems that don’t exist, well that was how the night went.

Finally got up just as it was getting light, made some tea, opened the window and sure as anything one of those yellow and black pests wants to come in and share my digestive. Quick wash and dress and prepare to leave for somewhere more pleasant. Actually once outside with nothing to interest them they didn’t bother me at all. Untied and we were off.

We were heading for How Hill for a walk and some breakfast. On the way we discussed whether to head south for a couple of nights, we’ve never been to Oulton or Beccles but agreed we’d leave that for another time and just plod around the north, going to all the places we’ve been before.Told you it was boring. Passed Broad Ambition at Irstead as they were heading back to base. All but one of the wild moorings down the Ant were taken, we figured it was going to be busy.

It was a glorious morning and while having breakfast the heating thermometer was in full sun and peaked at 30 degrees, at half nine in the morning.

Most mornings when we get up we have little idea what we’ll do that day and today was no different, we should be renamed Mr and Mrs Umandar. Somehow we made a decision to head for Stokesby, mainly because whenever we head down that way it is either very windy or overcast (or both), today would be different. The wind did pick up a little but it was a lovely cruise down. A quick visit to the stores and a not so quick visit to the pub. Had drinks sitting on the wall watching just the odd boat pass, and discussed what chance the raft of reeds floating around trapped in the eddy, had of escaping and making their way to Yarmouth.

We headed back up the Bure. It had clouded over a little and the wind had picked up some more.

Mrs W wanted to send some postcards to the grandchildren, I don’t know why, old fashioned and they can’t even read so we headed to Ludham Bridge and the little stores. I could do some fishing and she could write postcards. There was plenty of space when we arrived but by sunset you could only have fitted in one small boat, I can’t remember seeing it that busy.

So that was us done for the day, great weather and the forecast for tomorrow was even better.

DSC02665.JPG

DSC02662.JPG

• Like 9

I think that we could equally be called Mr and Mrs Can'tDecideWhatToDo! We've never managed to moor at Stokesby, and as you will see if I ever manage to write up our trip last week, we didn't get further than Acle this time.

We always notice the ex-Swancraft boats when we are there. Swan Reflection 2? Love that boat ... having hired numbers 1 and 2 that's where my username comes from! Every time we passed you last week I said "I hope they know that's our boat they're on!" ;)

• Like 2

Yes, not boring at all. Love reading other people's holiday tales! I did have a couple of nights of what you describe as restless nights.

Okay, a confession coming on here...

I wonder if any other boaters have experienced the really strange 'first night back at home' dream that I've had after the last three times we've been on the Broads (sail and mobo)?  I have been 'waking up' (but not quite) in the middle of the night, then I get out of bed and peer out of the window wondering where on earth we are moored.  Then, for several minutes I seem to think our house is a boat before I get my bearings. Definitely wierd!  I'm sure Graham thinks I'm losing my marbles. (Mind you, he's probably been seeing that coming on for years.)

Helen

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Not boring in the slightest. Having to work the same day I was picking the boat up would be my worst nightmare. 

I admit it's not ideal but the plus side is that it takes away that edgy feeling you get when you've arrived at the boatyard early, your boat's not ready but you just want to get on it and away.

• Like 1

Restless nights seem to happen whenever there is a change of environment or alcohol is involved. Not good for the first few nights on a boat. :default_drink_2:

Got treated to bit of “the Norfolk way” this morning, I went to use the shore based facilities, as you do, and on my way back to the boat the tackle shop was just opening. Back at the boat I got some money and headed to the shop to buy some bits. It was shut with a note on the door saying “back in 2 mins” I thought it was strange as he’d only just opened but I waited, 5 mins, 10 mins then a chap strolls past with his dog and says “Oh if you want something from the shop he’s down by the river chatting to the fishermen” Off I go to find him where he explains he doesn’t normally open this early on a Sunday but as he was around he opened early. I got what I needed and left scratching my head.

Earlier we had both decided that we weren’t going anywhere near Horning or Wroxham today, beautiful Sunday, it would be too busy. What happened to change our mind I don’t know but we set off for Salhouse and lunch at the Fur and Feathers.

Fantastic cruise along the Bure, not a cloud in the sky and there was a space at Horning staithe which we took.

Shortly after we arrived it seemed most of Horning Sailing Club were on the rivers. Congested doesn’t even come close to describing it, great fun to just sit back and watch.

After leaving Horning there were plenty of yachts to contend with but had heard the chap at the sailing club ask the motor cruisers to keep slow and to the right and the yachts will avoid you. This we did and all was fine.

Salhouse was as beautiful as ever, filled with water and off to the pub. To be honest it wasn’t the best quality or best value Sunday roast I’ve ever had but who cares. We were sitting outside in short sleeves in mid October.

After lunch we took a wander around the woods and grassy bits of Salhouse and decide to leave for St. Bennets where I could fish. We were only there 15 mins and I’d had enough. It was just boat after boat going past so we untied and went down Fleet Dyke. I started to think we may not get a space as we went past 5 or 6 boats wild moored before the first moorings on the bend, however there was a space there.

The Southern Comfort party boat came and went and we had drinks on the back of the boat and watched a couple of water voles as it got dark. ( I still think they were rats though)

20171015_125856.jpg

DSC02708.JPG

DSC02717.JPG

DSC02696.JPG

DSC02733.JPG

DSC02723.JPG

• Like 8

No update yesterday….’twas our anniversary, so candles and champagne instead.

Monday morning arrived fairly misty and saw a lovely sunrise.

Today we actually had a plan. Mrs W wanted a proper shower and we were going to wild moor and have a barbeque later.

We set off for the boatyard at Stalham and it seemed the weekend rush had calmed down, loads of space at Ludham Bridge and only 4 boats at How Hill, there may have been more overnight and they left early to get back to yard.

Weather cracking again but forecast to get windy later.

At the yard Mrs W goes off armed with a wheelbarrow full or girly stuff while I have a fish, it was rubbish, in fact everywhere I’ve tried has been rubbish, no idea why.

On her return, and when her hair had dried off a bit, we head off to Tesco for some restocking and also to get a plastic chopping board which we’d forgotten to pack. You only get glass ones on the boats, doesn’t do your sharp knives much good.

By now it’s about 12 and we head off to Gays Staithe for some lunch. It was empty when we arrived but soon after it started to fill up, started to get very windy too. Spoke to a chap there, I think he was on the other Swan Reflection, said he’d been visiting the broads for 30 years and had never moored at Gays!! We just sat around enjoying the sun.

Time came for us to set off and find our barbeque site, we could go up the Ant, or down the Ant, we went down and stopped at the first available spot just below Irstead, fairly sheltered from the wind. I did what all blokes do best and lit the coals, poured the beer and opened the wine. We’ve always enjoyed a wild mooring barbeque and tonight was no different.

DSC02758.JPG

DSC02749.JPG

DSC02767.JPG

• Like 9

DSC02772.thumb.JPG.bcff36c7cd113746dce452bdbb8c0908.JPG

Slow start today, no rush to go anywhere but after breakfast, for us and the swans, we set off down the Ant and towards Wroxham. Thought about popping down to Ranworth but carried on. Gave the pilot a quick call to see about the bridge height and he said should be no problem, just avoid high tide around 12, perfect, we now had the option of going to Coltishall.

At Wroxham we moored in NBDs yard and filled with water, then walked across the bridge for Mrs W to do some shopping. Every time we go away, for as far back as I can remember, Mrs W has to buy something to take back for our girls, and now she also has to buy something for the grandchildren so makes a beeline for  “Roys Toys”. For those who don’t know it’s not a big shop but we still managed to be in there for what seemed like ages, looking around everything, and then doing it again. Finally gifts purchased and she wanted to go to the department store. I offered The Kings Head as an alternative and promised she could visit the store tomorrow.

20171017_133322_001.thumb.jpg.64da6aea0267ca70f1e9931418ca1ffa.jpg

Couple of drinks later and we’re back on the boat with the pilot, through the bridge and heading for Coltishall, IMO one of the nicest stretches of river there is, and so few boats around. We went all the way to the lock and deployed rhond anchors, then off for a walk around Horstead Mill and along the river. Walks like that are so enjoyable when you have no time pressure to have to be back by a certain time.

DSC02781.thumb.JPG.902643e8fe5ebf3e93524a8eedf3fd86.JPG

We could have stayed there for the night, instead we headed back to Wroxham, arriving as the light was fading and mudweighted on Bridge Broad. This meant Mrs W could have an early department store fix in the morning and the bridge passage wouldn’t be a problem.

We had some rain that evening and overnight, not that we cared, we were on a boat.

• Like 10

Overcast this morning, but calm and the rain had stopped. I moved the boat over to the side on moorings above the railway bridge, as much as we love mudweighting it’s good to get off and stretch your legs.

After breakfast Mrs W goes off to purchase more gifts and out comes the fishing rod, What a complete waste of time, 45mins and not a single bite. I gave up and went and found her. Called in the butchers and got a pork pie for lunch, one of them home made ones, the only time of year I eat them is when we’re on a boat.

We moved up to the moorings by the Kings Head ready to call the pilot when Mrs W breaks out in a massive grin and says “look what I can see”, she had spotted a Norfolk Rock. Now I didn’t have a clue what she was talking about but apparently it’s the latest craze where people, old and young, paint pictures on small rocks and go out and hide them. Whoever finds them is supposed to post a picture on the facebook page with the hashtag ((what’s that?)) so the owner of rock can see it’s been found, you then rehide it somewhere else for another person to find. She was all over that, any excuse to go on facebook.  Apparently it’s quite a big thing so keep your eyes open for painted rocks.

It had brightened up now and we went through the bridge and pootled downstream. The rivers were much quieter now so we thought we’d have a look at Ranworth. As soon as you pull onto the broad you strain your eyes to see if there’s any space at the staithe, silly really ‘cos there’s now way you can tell from that far away. There was space so we slotted in and went off for a walk.

On returning we considered going in The Maltsters however the view from the front of our boat was much better. We had lunch there and just people watched for a while. Have to say, apart from the bow first situation, saw some pretty impressive helming.

Somewhere we have never managed to moor overnight is Womack Island, probably because we leave it too late in the day. This might be our chance we thought as we could get there with plenty of daylight left. Off we go. A few spots of rain on the way but nothing major. Sadly when we arrived there was no space, went up to the staithe, but didn’t fancy staying there the night and headed back to the Bure still not sure where we’d end up.

By now it had got real gloomy and the rain was falling. We stopped again at St  Benets only this time hardly any boats were passing, it must have been the weather prompting everyone to moor up early. Fished there until just after dark and actually caught some decent fish for a change, then inside a toasty boat, shower and enjoy the exceptional roast Mrs W had prepared.

There seems to be a lack of pictures today, just these two.

DSC02789.JPG

DSC02788.JPG

• Like 6

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 21:04, Broads01 said:

I would have loved negotiating Horning. It wouldn't be the same without keen saily types making things a challenge. Passing through Horning when it's quiet is almost a disappointment. 

That was Horning SC's end  of Season Regatta, that they passed through. But fear Not, it's Snowflake Sailing Club, who Hire Hornings Base, that will occupy the river most Sundays for the next six months (Not Christmas Eve But they will be on the river on Boxing day.)

The Sailing Programme here http://www.sfsc.co.uk/Sailprog.htm 

Nice pictures and story...

• Like 2

Up early on our last full day to be greeted by thick fog. It actually made for quite a peaceful morning with so few boats moving around. Although we probably could have left the mooring we decided to have breakfast there and wait for the fog to lift a bit.

DSC02803.thumb.JPG.15e4ac3cac02ff1185e5268f2c1836c0.JPG

When we did finally leave we went back to Womack Water and by the time we arrived the fog had gone and it had turned into a really nice morning.

The boat we were on had a water level gauge and we had run it really low, that coupled with what must be one of the slowest hoses on the broads meant it took an age to fill up, not that it mattered. Lots of people around so lots of chatting and swapping holiday stories. After the refill we wandered up to the village for a couple of bits (and another pork pie) and back to the boat for some more people watching. It was T shirt weather again.

We were going to be somewhere near the boatyard for the night but it was too early to head up there just yet so we popped in to The Lion at Thurne. There are some strange coloured ducks at Thurne Dyke. The walk to the pub takes you past some boats that are very neglected, makes you wonder the story behind them and how they’ve come to get that way.

DSC02804.thumb.JPG.c56e40d7d15b6c033eb2d72c5e51c60c.JPG

DSC02807.thumb.JPG.3ad5a6731e23333fe7076eb67b99b16c.JPG

We still don’t know where we’ll spend the night but make our way off and up the Ant. Under Ludham bridge, slight sadness knowing we won’t see it again until next spring. Had a brief stop at How Hill and then off again. It was almost like we didn’t want to stop for the night as then it is all over.

We ended up at Paddys Lane, well actually the wild mooring just along from the BA moorings, nice and peaceful. We decided no packing tonight, it can all be done in the morning. Shower, dinner and played some cards.

Next morning, usual stuff, packed (I use the term loosely!) and take the short cruise back to the yard. It had been raining this morning but was pleased it stopped for us while unloading the boat. It was also nice to see a guy at the yard asking everybody if they had any problems with the boat and noting everything down, not seen that before.

So that was us done until after the clocks go forward next year. Like I said it’s mostly boring, but that’s what make it so special.

Thanks for reading.

Lack of pictures again so I’ll add this one taken earlier in the week just for our Gracie.

20171015_100833.thumb.jpg.6d440364a98f5688bfaadda0da0d3cd9.jpg

• Like 8

I have enjoyed reading your write-up and seeing your photos, especially as we were out the same week. Very interested to know what you thought of the boat and what condition it is in after a couple of seasons with Richardson's.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SwanR said:

Very interested to know what you thought of the boat and what condition it is in after a couple of seasons with Richardson's.

I was very impressed. Considering this was the end of season and the boat had probably been booked solid all season there was nothing at all to complain about. Everything worked just as it should and it looked almost immaculate inside. The outside could do with a good pressure wash which I'm sure it will get over the winter. It's hard to keep the decks sparkling with a mop and river water!! A couple of really minor things needed attention but overall one of the best we've had.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2