What Boat Should I Be Looking For?

I’m thinking of getting something like this ....

One double berth

Basic cooking facilities (ok, I admit I just want to make coffee)

Toilet.

Small enough to moor next to a riverside property. I don’t know berth measurements.

Preferably inboard diesel or electric.

Ideally fits under PH bridge.

I don’t know where to look or what to look for.

Any advice gratefully received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want outside space 

A bounty 27

more internal space 

Hampton safari (25 ft)

obviously without knowing budget etc is difficult to really know what to suggest but the two above start at about £5k for a rough bounty up to £25k for a tidy example 

what i would recommend is avoiding if possible a petrol boat as isn’t available waterside so means carrying fuel from a garage , and don’t jump in too quickly , Kate and I spent over a year till we found our ideal boat 

Thanks for that. Sounds like good advice.
Not really sure on budget yet. I’m a contractor / consultant so if work comes in I’ll probably buy a boat that’s ready to go. If it doesn’t I’ll probably buy a project boat. Also don’t know what budget “needs” to be if that makes sense.

The need (wish) to pass under Potter will restrict your choice greatly , and very very few will pass under at all times  (even if the vendor says they do) .

We decided that we would forgoe passage through Potter , and eventually our choice meant that Wroxham was also a no go so be prepared to modify your wish list 

I reckon budget and mooring sizes would be the main initial considerations, then just get yaself round the brokerages to poke, prod n feel a few to see what you fancy, theres no substitute for actually being on board to get a proper sense of what they are like. NYA, NBS, and Waterside to name but three, all good places to nose around.

Of course once you get a few in mind post on here for opinions and views etc

All I will say is if its the first boat you have bought then take someone who knows boats with you , it is a minefield out there and its very easy to miss something that that costs you dearly later .

Moorings as going to be a major factor in what you buy , earlier models of the bounty 27 are the elysian , solid boats and a looked after mk2 is not that much cash , virtually all will have a diesel be it BMC or Perkins and don't be afraid of ex hire craft , yes they will have had repairs but so will private ones just remember a broken down hire boat earns nothing and therefore they were (are ) looked after  , the end of the yr is time to buy deffinatly , tolls are looming :51_scream: as are big brown envelopes thanks to christmas and people want rid .

I will admit to being a not biased regarding elysian boat I own one , it will for under potter with care and do all other bridge's when adapted into sneek under there mode .

Thanks everyone. Some great tips there.
Just a few points.
It’s far from my first boat but will be my first cruiser.
Mooring is sorted but space is limited.
I might be able to move before the end of the year but I’m not sure yet.
It will be kept near PH so if it won’t go under I’ll be halving where I can go with it.

2 hours ago, JohnK said:

I’m not an expert but I don’t think that would go under any of the bridges emoji57.png

Trust me it will they always have done , skills level is bordering magnificent but it wiil fit in the box as it were :default_biggrin:

1st work out what you want to spend, then forget that.

2nd work out what you must have, then forget that.

3rd work what you don't want, then forget that.

4tth work out what age you want, then forget that.

5th go out and fender kick everything.

6th be prepared to spend more than the boat cost, because you have discovered chandlery shops. You don't need that, BUT!

I looked at this when we were thinking of changing, the one we bought was probably the first I disregarded looking on line!

It suits us, probably paid too much (definitely).

Thing to remember if it floats your boat, that's the one.

paul

• Like 3

A Colin Facey CF21 might do the job, 21'Long ×8'4" Beam(i think, will check later), little Yanmar 1GM10 inboard diesel on outdrive(well mine has anyway), tall enough to stand up in part yet goes through Potter pretty easily(think I had 6'3" on the gauge last time n it wasnt tight tight), galley and seperate heads(mine has a proper loo n tank but not sure if they all did) and two doublish berths or two single n one double.

Think the same mouldings were used by others too.

Hope thats of some assistance:)