What Boat Should I Be Looking For?

Which one was yours Paul?
JohnK, I think it will depend on the shape of the hull, the CF21 for example is quite a bit narrower at the waterline than the gunwhale(if thats the correct term:default_blink:)
I'd be happy to help with any measurements etc just ask:default_biggrin:

Thanks you.
I’ll definitely be in touch once I own the berth.

If anyone is really bored ... conceptually ....
Will I own the berth if I have a leasehold off the EA?
Can you own a berth?
Isn’t the berth the water and doesn’t the water belong to the BA or EA or Anglian Water?
It’s all too confusing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An excellent small boat for that area would be a Freeman 22 / 23. Great well built boats, and can be picked up for considerably less than £10,000, and often toll payed with long bsc.  They are also very well made, with dozens of them around the Broads, some of which you will probably find for sale in the local brokers etc.

I think you would stand a better chance then most with 6 foot. The might be times when even that wouldn't get through but my guess would be you could get through more often than not. The vast majority of hire boats are 6 5,  6 6 plus which is why so few get through these days.

• Like 1

Just now, JohnK said:

If I’m understanding what I think I’m reading on various sites I think there’s typically 6’6” to 7’ headroom.
Do we agree?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the boats or the bridge?

I think the bridge is more typically 6 foot to 6 6. Others may correct me but the occasions it over 6 6 are getting less.

Ah ok thank you.

I was going on this
http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/bridge-heights-and-opening-times
Saying average high tide clearance is 6’6”

And this
http://www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk/norfolk%20broads%20bridge%20clearance.html
Saying there’s typically a 4” to 6” tidal range.

I suspect some of that information is a bit out of date, I wouldn't like to rely on 6 6 as the norm 

One option could be speak to Robin or Patrick Richardson at the Phoenix fleet Boatyard. They operate the pilot service and may be able to give advice about current typical clearances. 

I still think at 6 foot you will be in the right ball park and as Grendel says a narrower boat will be easier too. 

Do you intend to use the boat all year round? 

Levels can be a bit higher in winter but can be very low too on occasions. 

Just to give an example - in December last year it was 5'6" in February 2017 it was 6'2" and June 2017 6'5" 

This was going by the board at the Bridge - the gauge in the pilots office is more accurate but the above gives a rough idea. 

Unfortunately clearance under PH Bridge is anything but an exact science! 

The Martham motor cruisers seem to manage most of the time though. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JohnK said:

Thanks you.
I’ll definitely be in touch once I own the berth.

If anyone is really bored ... conceptually ....
Will I own the berth if I have a leasehold off the EA?
Can you own a berth?
Isn’t the berth the water and doesn’t the water belong to the BA or EA or Anglian Water?
It’s all too confusing emoji57.png

On the broads

A berth is where you park yourself, not a boat,

A boat goes in a mooring.

If you have leasehold you don't own the mooring, you are effectively renting the mooring for a period.

The water belongs to no one, in the Broads area the BA have the right to charge you for being in their area with a boat.

EA generally on the broads just control the right to dangle a worm in the water.

Anglian water only supply water from the taps....

• Like 1