How Square Is Square?

Timbo

Tim me old mucka don't forget five cuts is five slices the thickness of the blade to be subtracted from the length. Otherwise your last bit will be short..LOL

And oh high panjandrum and font of wisdom... This aint America hunny its maths..........

Let's leave "bustin some moves" and that's a "ballin" car and stop "flossing" to our cousins across the water please. 

FYI

Flossing does not refer to teeth...

Drives me nuts ...lol

Going there in another 15 then 36 days... grrr. The department of no sense of humour knows me by name in San Diego....

M

33 minutes ago, Labrador said:

Keep it British Timbo, mathS.

I know, I was having problems with the mathS in my woodworkS. But I'm a historian so in English its Math. (with the full stop), not until 1911 did mathS with the added 'S' start to be used. I got my first mathematic wrong so when I ended up with two mathematics I was in trouble...now my plurals have gone wonky...I've caught pluracy!  :default_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, grendel said:

Tim - I once made a Plainer sled, it was just two runners on a sheet of ply - it worked well when the snow was deep enough.

Snow...that's that white stuff we used to get in the winter instead of drizzle?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, HakunaMatata said:

so far I know, after having done the five cuts and did your calculation, it has to be devided by 4, the 5th cut is just to get your peace to measure the alignmend.

such is my understanding of the five cut method, you divide by four being the number of edges you have cut from, discounting the first cut which is only done to create the first edge, so the fifth cut is made from the fourth edge hence creating four multiples of your variance. You then measure the variance and divide by four. At least that's how my father taught me, he was a Master Carpenter. I know I haven't exactly explained it very well. 

I used that calculation when I built my wall mounted panel saw, and found the result to be quite accurate, but eventually invested in a dial indicator which I don't think is any more accurate but much quicker. 

We had 2 standard references for the inaccuracies of our work, one was a frazmo, if it didn't fit take a fraz off and it'll be fine.

For finer work it could be a traumalasence out. This would require a traumour to be removed to correct the problem.

I should add these ISO standards are for metal not wood or tiles as sawdust and tile slurry both compromise accurate measurement.:91_thumbsup:

10 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I work to a tolerance widely known as a 'Gnats Knacker Sack' 

Gnats Knacker is usually my measure, if it's within a Gnat's Knacker that's close enough. Having never measured the ******** of a Nematocera I'm not sure quite what the exact size is.

If I ever said to my father "that's close enough" he would say measure it again. Once it was exact his reply was "that's close enough".

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

When I'm cutting wall / floor tiles be they of a man made material or provided by mother nature, I work to a tolerance widely known as a 'Gnats Knacker Sack'   Whether this is more accurate than  'Gnats Cock' is open to debate

Griff

Griff, I thought you'd be in possession  of a 'chruler' ! (Google it :default_norty: )

• Haha 1