Channel 4 Tonight's Canals Program Is On The Broads

RegalSafari

Well I don't know about anybody else but I've just spent the last hour with a grin on my face.

A decent show.

Pru got my wrath early on with her "plastic bathtub" comment but totally redeemed herself with the last line, something like,

" the sound of water slapping at the bow is enough to cure ...." forgot the rest. Maybe some of you with recording abilities can fill in the blanks.

• Like 3

I found the whole programme very disjointed. I didn't really feel that it gave a sense of why anyone should go to the Broads ... but perhaps that's not really the aim of the series. They did rather jump from one place to another which we only recognised because we know the area so well. Makes you wonder how much of the same could be said for all the other programmes they have made. It was a shame that they didn't take out something much more like the boats that most of us hire as holidaymakers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, w-album said:

Am I correct but no reference to that word 'N*******l P**k?

May just be a coincidence but the production team had been supplied with links to or copies of all the relevant documentation explaining what the Broads  isn't. That aside one of the best TV programs dedicated to the Broads that I can remember. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I found the whole programme very disjointed. I didn't really feel that it gave a sense of why anyone should go to the Broads ... but perhaps that's not really the aim of the series. They did rather jump from one place to another which we only recognised because we know the area so well. Makes you wonder how much of the same could be said for all the other programmes they have made. It was a shame that they didn't take out something much more like the boats that most of us hire as holidaymakers.

You must understand, they were making a TV programme.....not a holiday advert or a promotional video. Of all the people who watched that tonight only a tiny percentage have been to or are planning to visit the broads. Tonights show gripped us because of where they were, but the stars of tonights show were Tim and Pru. It's their show.....

with love.:default_drink_2:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Enjoyed it , they a lovely warmth to each other .

One disappointing aspect , was from the aerial shots , the water looked very brown and murky , which it certainly dosent when you are afloat. 

Where exactly was the little cottage they visited? And can anyone go and vist it?

I would guess it was on the Ant?

• Like 1

In all a good programme but as has been said it jumped about a lot from the northern to the southern broads. I would have thought that a stop at the Berney moorings and a visit to the mill would have been shown. It looks like that will be the only programme  from the Norfolk broads. Its a shame that a whole series could not have been solely about the Broads

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

Enjoyed it , they a lovely warmth to each other .

One disappointing aspect , was from the aerial shots , the water looked very brown and murky , which it certainly dosent when you are afloat. 

Where exactly was the little cottage they visited? And can anyone go and vist it?

I would guess it was on the Ant?

Yes indeed its at How hill.Was there in the summer also worth going into the gardens.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

Where exactly was the little cottage they visited?

As others have said, it's on the Ant at How Hill.

I thought they portrayed it very well. It's one off those places where you really need to throw yourselves back to years past to get the most out of it. Us older types will find that easier to imagine, when I stayed at my grans we had a potty under the bed, my mum would light a coal fire in the morning. I can almost feel what it was like to live in  that house.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

" the sound of water slapping at the bow is enough to cure ...." forgot the rest. Maybe some of you with recording abilities can fill in the blanks.

Pru was quoting from the Arthur Ransome book Coot Club.

The actual wording was.

The klop, klop of water under the bows of a small boat will cure most troubles in this world.

• Like 5