I've Seen Albino Polar Bears And Swans But.....

wombat nee blownup

5 hours ago, wombat nee blownup said:

Now, spotted in a field outside Beccles An albino pheasant. How chuffed was I?

IMG_1302.JPG

Good photo. 

I hate to disappoint but it is not an albino. Although it is white it has dark eyes. A lot of them are bred and released with normal pheasants so that keepers can see where the birds are.

On a shoot there is usually a hefty fine for bringing one down and a lot of ribbing for the gun that shoots it.

I learn something new every day! If folk want to kill then so be it, I don't object, but I don't do it myself but that never stopped me 'beating' for various local shoots over the years or breeding pheasants with my chickens. I had, until now, never heard of white pheasants being bred for the above purpose although it makes perfect sense. Bit like me using a fish finder when after pike!

We had one a few years back on our shoot.  Not specifically bred as white, it just appeared so a quirk of mother nature in our case.  All the guns were under strict instructions not to shoot it, there was a £100 fine to pay if anyone did.  As it turned out it went missing after being with us for ages.  We suspected Mr Fox got it.  Which was proper annoying as our keeper / assistants put a lot of time and effort into keeping the fox numbers as low as possible

Griff

Found this via Google:

White pheasants are purposely put into flocks that are being kept for shooting. They're 'penalty birds' which are used to raise money for charity. Shooters are supposed to avoid them (thus adding to the 'sport'), but if they kill one they have to pay an amount (£50 round here) to a specified charity fund.

Well 'Ours' wasn't a penalty bird, it was being hand fed with the farms chickens.  It even had a name, No, I can't remember what it was but definitely not 'Funky Chicken' before any smart Alec suggests such a thing, As if you would!  :228_baby_chick:

Griff

Edit - that was why the fine was placed so high to try to ensure that it was left alone

12 hours ago, Daddy Mouse said:

Good photo. 

I hate to disappoint but it is not an albino. Although it is white it has dark eyes. A lot of them are bred and released with normal pheasants so that keepers can see where the birds are.

On a shoot there is usually a hefty fine for bringing one down and a lot of ribbing for the gun that shoots it.

£100 on our shoot.. 

I'd heard something similar - that the white birds are trained and semi-tame - not to be shot, used by the gamekeeper to get the released birds to come to some feeding areas and therefore keeping them local.  It would explain why there is a penalty for shooting them as the gamekeeper would have to start the whole process over.