I'm Taking A Rest.

Poppy

My reply to the 'Wot No Christmas' thread has been 'hidden'.  

I have a serious objection to racism in any shape and form, both blatant and thinly veiled, my post was intended to make it abundantly clear that  the OP was just as I described it.

I wish to spend no time with people of those views who share them in a group of those I consider as friends I have (mostly) never met. I expect those sort of views on Facebook etc , but not on the 'Friendly Forum'.

I shall continue to 'pop in' , but I'm afraid it will be some time before I cool down enough to post again.

A Happy Christmas to all !

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
Just now, ranworthbreeze said:

I am sorry to hear that Poppy, I share you thoughts on racism 100% but I thought you could have put over your point of view in a better manor.

Regards

Alan

I don't know Alan, I find this manor, gaff or forum to be a pretty good one. Don't knock it. :default_norty:

I'm sorry to read this, Poppy. I'm not sure that the other thread exhibits racism directly, however it could have triggered racist comments. As a thread the other one suggests unfortunate intolerance, perhaps that intolerance is now spilling over into this thread. 

Perhaps we should all remember that this is the Norfolk Broads Network and stick to relevant subjects. In all honesty I thought the posting of the other thread was unfortunate, crass even, and likely to lead to tears, as it has.   Mind you, the original poster might have posted in all innocence.

Like Poppy I have no great wish to associate with racists & I do question why a potentially racist thread was instigated. However on a publicly available forum I have learned to shrug my shoulders on occasion and ignore what I normally find objectionable. Poppy, can I ask that you do the same? 

• Like 1

hang on a minute here, I am trying my hardest to see why a post about Cadburys Possibly or possibly not removing the word Christmas from packaging comes across as racist, it certainly had no racist connections in my mind when I saw it.

Sometimes you have to be actively looking for something to complain about to spot it.

Now I would never condone racism, but cannot for the life of me see what the post has to be called racist (or even potentially racist).

I am unable to discern whether similar posts may have racist overtones elsewhere, but then I am not looking for racist overtones in a post about chocolate bars and the branding on said items.

I would understand maybe if you had spent a lot of time investigating racist remarks elsewhere, that you might react badly to a similar post here, but I dont see any other reason the post would be branded racist.

This is the friendly forum, so as such I would like to see responses to post based upon the actual content here - rather than the perceived content elsewhere.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I happen to agree with you Grendel , how was any of it racial for goodness sakes.          I personally am a Christian but I know Muslims Hindus to name a couple of other religions and we and they all embrace all of our various festivals of which Christmas is one of them.   However, the fact that some chocolate bar has removed the word Christmas might seem to some a jab in the ribs against Christianity,   I would think this was the furthest thing on the mind of the Company that carried out the change.          If I spoke to my friends and suggested that they were offended by the word Christmas they were be in stitches with laughter quite frankly.

• Like 2

we have nearly as many races and religions in our office at work as there are people, and we all get along great and all have a good time at work, all highly skilled and highly literate people, we accept and embrace the differences - special cakes on certain religious festivals, and at the end of the day we all participate in each others religious celebrations without prejudice of favour. it brings a good feeling to the office. 

• Like 7

There is a fine line between patrotism and racism.

Unfortunately anyone pro British/English/Christian or patriotic about their country is often seen as racist and this for me is where the real sadness lies. 

We are encouraged to be so accepting of others that we are fast loosing sight of what England and the British Isles is all about!

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Perhaps we should all remember that this is the Norfolk Broads Network and stick to relevant subjects.

Couldn't agree more JM

I was having qualms about that thread as soon as it started. Talking about politics or religion will always end in tears. 

I agree however that I also have no time for racism either stated or implied. 

Poppy, I have 'followed' you on here and on the other place for many years. I've always had massive respect for your knowledge, your opinions ( which I agree with 99% of the time) and above all your amazing sense of humour. 

Please don't let some random comments which have nothing to do with the Broads get to you. 

If all else fails I'll pay for the train fare from Sussex and get Grace to sort you out.......... :default_norty:

Seriously, please reconsider. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I commented on the original thread, that discussing Religon never turns out well, and yet again the theory is proven. It's a cast iron, odds on certainty .

It would however be a strange place if all we were allowed to discuss was river and boat related . Shoes , wine and men ring any bells anyone :default_blink::default_biggrin:

There is even a thread on here where you are allowed to let off steam , where moaning is accepted  ( in a light hearted tone) where the boundaries are maybe allowed to be pushed just a little . 

Throwing toys out the pram, just makes our admin/mods jobs even harder, which I'm sure they can do without . This place dosent want to lose its well respected posters, so get back on!!

Has anyone ever fallen out on a shoe thread? :default_biggrin::default_cool:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh deary me, just got home from an appointment and read this. This is the thing, our lovely Pops is not only a well respected member of this forum and someone I consider to be an on line friend I haven't met yet but he's also clever, honest, funny and a totally decent guy, if he feels the need to stand back for a bit then we must respect that.

I think also and for what it's worth the subject that has so upset our Pops was, I suspect unintentional always going to be a fiery one which as we know can lead to comments that may offend or upset.

My Dad always says there's absolutely no point in arguing about religion or politics, it always ends in tears, that's why I decided to stay away from the original subject. I could see it heading in the wrong direction

I got a little upset a few weeks back and felt I perhaps wouldn't post for a little while, it lasted all of 15 hours, I hope Pops little break doesn't even last that long. His jokes leave a lot to be desired and he is an owner of one of those flappy thinghys but I for one will miss him so much and hope he's back with us very soon

We are able to discuss all sorts on this forum and have different sections for different things and not just for boating which is why I think it's so successful but we should all take care and think about what we post. Now if you stick to shoes, wine and maybe the odd Fire Fighters and Police Officers for discussion you really won't go wrong, not with me anyway :default_norty:

As for you Howard, I will deal with you later (again) I'm still trying to think of something for your little quip last week, be afraid, very afraid :default_norty:

Come back soon Pops :default_icon_kiss:

Grace

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1