Hi everyone, I'll be going on my first solo cruise in march probably with Richardson's,does anyone know of any other boatyards that allow solo cruising ? Also I've got my eye on a few boats courtesy of the captains blog who is a connoisseur at solo cruising on the broads but i just wondered if any of you could recommend a boat that is more suited to the solo cruiser, cheers ?

56 minutes ago, seanguest said:

Hi everyone, I'll be going on my first solo cruise in march probably with Richardson's,does anyone know of any other boatyards that allow solo cruising ? Also I've got my eye on a few boats courtesy of the captains blog who is a connoisseur at solo cruising on the broads but i just wondered if any of you could recommend a boat that is more suited to the solo cruiser, cheers ?

Hi there. I've hired solo several times, including twice on Broadland Wave 2 from Richardsons, most recently in May 2017. It's a breeze to handle and very manageable, even if the decks are slightly high. Have a look at my write up in the Holiday Tales section and my review in the Hire boat section. Richardsons are top people - next year I have Symphony solo and 2 other hires with a 'crew'. 

Elsewhere, I know Freedom are happy with solos and I think Silverline are if you book direct. I know Herbert Woods and NBD both insist on 2 people, which is bizarre given a solo experienced hirer is less risk than a pair of novices. 

I assume you have boating experience as Richardsons and the others insist on that. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I assume you have boating experience as Richardsons and the others insist on that.

that's the one thing that puts me off solo cruising - I don't have a great deal of boating experience, maybe we should start a thread for people who want to go boating but need the experience, to buddy up and boat share a hire boat to gain that experience and confidence to go solo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grendel said:

that's the one thing that puts me off solo cruising - I don't have a great deal of boating experience, maybe we should start a thread for people who want to go boating but need the experience, to buddy up and boat share a hire boat to gain that experience and confidence to go solo.

Great idea.

53 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

I quite often cruise solo, on a centre cockpit boat.iIt just needs a bit more planning with ropes drinks snacks etc.  If I need the loo I just nose into the reeds.  

Doug

Nose into the reeds...i just planned on filling the empty wine bottles lol

• Haha 2

I don't think I entirely like my own company enough to solo hire, though a bit of me does fancy it. Good preparation and knowing your limits are vital I would think. As stated , life jacket at all times is a must, I would imagine that is why some yards don't hire solo, more to do with personal safety than a worry about the boat. I'm sure they lose more sleep when they see a crowd of young uns leaving the yard!! 

Good luck, look forward to hearing all about it, maybe one day I will pluck up the courage!!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

Can I suggest you only buy red wine to drink then....wouldn't want any, errrrrr, mishaps,:410_cocktail: if you see what I mean!!

That reminds me of a joke,here goes.

A wine taster went into a bar and asks the bartender for a fifty year old glass of red wine. The bartender pours him a drink, the man drinks it and immediately spits it out, and yells “This is a 43 year old red wine! I asked for a 50”

A few people at the bar applaud him for his knowledge. He wipes his lip and says “Its ok. Just give me a 35 year old glass of white wine” 

The bartender serves him again, the man tries it, and cannot bring himself to swallow the drink. Furious he yells at the bartender “This is not a 35 year old wine, its only 27 years old”

Once again the people at the bar applaud his great taste. He then asks for a simple seven year old beer. The bar tender gives him a can and he says “Its not exactly seven years but not bad.”

When he’s done with the drink the bartender comes back and says “Some guy at the other end of the bar told me he wanted to get you a drink”

He thanks the man and raises his glass to him, and takes a sip. Disgusted he screams “God this tastes like water!” To which the guy at the end of the bar jumps up and asks “How old am ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1