Recent Salt Surge?

Wildfuzz

There was certainly one this last weekend, or an expected one as they closed the barrier at Potter - how bad or otherwise it is depends entirely on how high it was on the coast. On the Bure they are now, at the worst, getting up to Horning for example but I guess, as I have not seen reports of dead fish, that this particular one did not get up as far as expected.

Anyone seen reports of dead fish up North??

Let's not forget that salt surges also occur on the southern broads , and looking at the EA site re river levels it seams things are back to as they should be the Norfolk broads are far more than potter and wroxham and the south suffers too from salt , its always fascinated me that people are worrying about the bridge clearance at such a wroxham when their boat is on dry land ( in some cases ) and don't give a dam about the fact that many if not all Mooring's on the southern side are below the actual water level , OK rant over just to point out there is more to the broads than the northern side .

Ricardo

You can speak for what you know others speak about their own knowledge and experience, I don't know but would imagine given the speed of flow etc while levels would probably rise equally both sides salt surges would have a greater effect on the Northern rivers especially as there is salt incursion around the Hickling area as well,  I wasn't afloat so have no precise knowledge this weekend but levels were certainly high with less than 6`0" at Wroxham at one point.

Fred

Of course we are aware there is actually more to the Broads than the North, but it is equally true, unless Mr Waller wishes to teach me something else, that the surges do more damage up north and is why the EA have installed the barrier at Potter and use it effectively. I don't think that there is one in the south unless of course you wish to inform me otherwise?

Part of the reason is perhaps that it is more "salty" down sarf anyway and perhaps the fish cope with it better but it may well be that as it runs out very much more quickly too, it has less impact. For whatever reason, you do tend to hear of fewer and smaller "kills" when you do have these surges in the Southern waters.

And Fred, you really have to be grateful to that old bit of stone at Potter as it struggles to get upstream unless its a very large one - my guess the salinity at Hickling has more to do with it coming through the substrata rather than that 'ol bridge!!

47 minutes ago, marshman said:

Of course we are aware there is actually more to the Broads than the North, but it is equally true, unless Mr Waller wishes to teach me something else, that the surges do more damage up north and is why the EA have installed the barrier at Potter and use it effectively. I don't think that there is one in the south unless of course you wish to inform me otherwise?

Part of the reason is perhaps that it is more "salty" down sarf anyway and perhaps the fish cope with it better but it may well be that as it runs out very much more quickly too, it has less impact. For whatever reason, you do tend to hear of fewer and smaller "kills" when you do have these surges in the Southern waters.

And Fred, you really have to be grateful to that old bit of stone at Potter as it struggles to get upstream unless its a very large one - my guess the salinity at Hickling has more to do with it coming through the substrata rather than that 'ol bridge!!

Now I know from the comments In the first paragraph exactly why John K started the tread he did this evening , no body is trying to teach anyone anything BTW .

11th November had lethal levels up to Acle on the Bure & Cantley on the Yare,12th had lethal levels to Acle.13th had lethal levels to Thurne mouth on the Bure & Beauchamps on the Yare.On this occasion there have been few fish deaths reported so far.

11 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Let's not forget that salt surges also occur on the southern broads , and looking at the EA site re river levels it seams things are back to as they should be the Norfolk broads are far more than potter and wroxham and the south suffers too from salt , its always fascinated me that people are worrying about the bridge clearance at such a wroxham when their boat is on dry land ( in some cases ) and don't give a dam about the fact that many if not all Mooring's on the southern side are below the actual water level , OK rant over just to point out there is more to the broads than the northern side .

Ricardo

The reason a lot of people who are experienced with the Northern rivers use the gauge at Wroxham is because it gives a good indication of water levels in all areas including low lying moorings etc not necessarily just to get under the bridge,  we each have our own criteria as to how, why, where and when we use our boats and the style of boat we choose and any piece of information that makes that easier is invaluable.

Fred

53 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Ricardo

The reason a lot of people who are experienced with the Northern rivers use the gauge at Wroxham is because it gives a good indication of water levels in all areas including low lying moorings etc not necessarily just to get under the bridge,  we each have our own criteria as to how, why, where and when we use our boats and the style of boat we choose and any piece of information that makes that easier is invaluable.

Fred

To be honest Fred its really nothing to do with any criteria or where anyone wants to sail , take last weekend and the one before that , 2 of the 3 rivers in the south had flood alerts  and in  the case of the yare a warning the weekend before last , not one river on the northern side had even a flood warning so I don't understand how wroxham is a barometer for anywhere else than northern rivers its certainly not one for the southern side as they are affected quite differently .

22 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Ricardo

Perhaps I should have been more specific I was refering to the North and despite lack of warnings there was some flooding in known areas including Horning and Wroxham.

Fred

Yes there was a bt of flooding there was in brundall too basically quite a few areas are below sea level , the ferry at horning is below normal river levels permanently hence floods a lot , I will agree wroxham bridge is a sort of barometer for the northern rivers but deffinatly not the south .