Who’s Dropped What In The Broads ?

Snowy

My thread “car in the Bure since 1991” after a few commented has got me thinking....

what things have people dropped in the rivers and broads ?

what have you heard that’s been dropped or even thrown in ?

and has anyone ever managed to recover anything ?

I dropped my phone into the Herbert Woods basin as I said at the time:

I was VERY annoyed.  I had owned that phone for many years and it was not an "expensive" one, but I had intended to contact another friend to meet-up during the week and although the other on board offered the use of their 'phones there was often no signal or no reply!

A mudweight. It's in Ranworth Broad. Returned to the area with a grappling hook and trawled for two hours from the inflatable, with no luck. I was trying to prove I could recover it to Rene. Put that down to another miserable failure.

And Rene. Apparently it was my fault she stepped off the bow without checking we were actually alongside!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jenners tipped a JCB digger into the river in Thorpe when they were building the "new" quay heading opposite the church. They also tipped a large telescopic mobile crane in the river, further up at Wards, when they were erecting the road bridge.

As far as I know, they managed to build the wet shed without incident!

Not the broads but canal basin.

I lost a Dj carrying 2 boxes of LP's. We off loaded well oil'd party one one side of the basin due to works in our yard, I kicked the front over ran inside to shut bar down ran back up steps sharp right to get the front and splash in he went LP's as well. He wasn't our DJ classed as crew so no beer allowed till engine off routine. We pulled him to the bank dragged him out to drip dry, wouldn't mind we told him to say inside.

Somebody's had the lp's away as they wasn't sat in the mud a few years back when it was drained.

Don't think I've ever dropped anything in the Broads although my dad did drop his pipe once while tapping the tobacco out over the side !!  I've dropped myself into the Thames 3 times plus a small toolbox, managed to get everything back though with a magnet.

Someone (not me!) managed to send the mobile pump out machine over the side and we had to use the fork lift truck to get it out, luckily no damage or leaks !!!

In the 50’s before I was born my mum and dad and another couple had a Broads boating holiday.
Whilst trying to tow another boat my dad who couldn’t swim and wasn’t wearing a life jacket fell in and had to be dragged out and given CPR by my mum.
So my entire existence very nearly dropped into and stayed in the Broads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Salhouse Broad owes me a mudweight and a pair of expensive varifocal specs. Malthouse Broad owes me a pair of sunglasses. The Waveny at Burgh St Peter owes me the side panel from a Freeman 22 hood that I lost overboard 24 years ago. Our own mooring basin owes me the end of my Kaercher pressure washer and the stand-up bit at the back of my TV aerial, which hopped over the side the other week,  to name but a few.

• Like 1

My Dad and a Great Dane called Blue.

Not so much 'dropped' in my Dad's case. It was more like he was bowled. 

I was about 12yo, Six of us, Me, Dad, his girlfriend Barb, her daughter Sue (about 15), Jenny (boxer) and a Great Dane called *Blue were on a sailing boat for a long weekend. Moored somewhere north of Potter Barb was cooking breakfast, Dad was messing about with ropes and stuff and the two dogs were mooching around a big field being dogs. Dad called them back to the boat and they were off! Jenny was a sprinter. instantly flat out and heading for the boat. Blue used to take a while to get her legs into the right firing order and then stretch out her stride so she was actually the fastest. She caught up with Jenny just as they reached the bank. Jenny stopped and hopped onto the deck. Blue, with a look of terror on her face, couldn't stop and bowled my Dad off the back of the boat into the water,

Dad had the hump all day because a: we couldn't stop laughing and b: Barb, Sue and I were more interested in getting Blue out of the water than him.

*Blue was a rescue dog that we fostered for a friend of my Dad's "Honestly Maurice it will only be for a week or two" At this time we'd had her about 18 months.

1 hour ago, JohnK said:

In the 50’s before I was born my mum and dad and another couple had a Broads boating holiday.
Whilst trying to tow another boat my dad who couldn’t swim and wasn’t wearing a life jacket fell in and had to be dragged out and given CPR by my mum.
So my entire existence very nearly dropped into and stayed in the Broads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click on my profile “about me” very similar thing happened to me 

34 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Salhouse Broad owes me a mudweight and a pair of expensive varifocal specs. Malthouse Broad owes me a pair of sunglasses. The Waveny at Burgh St Peter owes me the side panel from a Freeman 22 hood that I lost overboard 24 years ago. Our own mooring basin owes me the end of my Kaercher pressure washer and the stand-up bit at the back of my TV aerial, which hopped over the side the other week,  to name but a few.

Ahh so it’s not a silt build up causing the high water at spring tides, it’s all your stuff !! Lol 

My sister dropped her phone in at Salhouse this year, spent a good while dredging the bottom with a net with no luck. Though even if we had landed it, all we would have was a piece of plastic , was known as a phone!!

lost a fishing chair in oulton broad. My Grandad once dropped his keys in at Ludham , and amazingly retrieved them with the boat hook!!!

Dropped my Mums ashes in Salhouse , but of course that was intentional. 

My first baby tooth to fall out, aged about 5 or 6. Moored up on the left hand bank (looking upstream), just upstream of Ludham Bridge. It came out while I was eating an apple on the foredeck of Luna from Hunter's Yard, and I dropped it whilst walking along the side deck to show my Mum. It bounced once on the deck and went straight over the side.

Not only was that distressing, but apparently in situations like that the Tooth Fairy doesn't pay out. :(

• Like 3

I think many many years ago when they were digging out a dyke up near Bells, they trundled a large Ruston Bucyrus crane across the marshes to get to the dyke, on mats of railway sleepers - go on guess what happened next to an adventure precarious at best!

Eventually they did recover it but at some time and effort so it probably does not count!!!

Me, many many times, SWMBO several times, well we were dinghy sailors at the time..

Shaver battery powered, dropped overboard while clambering out of my Lysander to go to the club showers ...

One week later,

New Shaver battery powered, dropped overboard while clambering out of my Lysander to go to the club showers .    I went back to wet shaving after that...

Watches several, used to monitor the count down till race start time, ripped off wrist by ropes during racing, the fish must be getting annoyed with all those alarms going off...

Mud weight when the rope came off the cleat on boat,. An easy recovery with 30 ft of rope floating around.

Hats several, all recovered except for one run over by a following boat..

A Rough Collie called Baron Blue Moon, well I didn't lose him, he chose to follow SWMBO who was he was devoted to. And she had just stepped off on the bank to hold the bows into the wind while I sorted out some rigging. Of course once she stepped off the boat swung out and he didn't make the leap.... Trying to get 70lbs (when dry) of wet Rough Collie out of the water is difficult, now our dogs wear life jackets... They have a handle on the back....