Where Would We Be Without The Rnli?

JennyMorgan

A damn sight worse off is where we'd be. Just like the Ranger from Yarmouth Yacht Station these men and women deserve medals for putting their own lives at risk to save  everyday folk like us. Forget celebrities and the like, these people are the true heroes. Much braver than I could ever be, geez I get upset if I break a nail lol :facepalm:Seriously though, well done for two more successful rescues :default_trophy:

Grace

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Normally the cry for help goes to the Coastguard, and they would alert the nearest available Lifeboat.  On Breydon that is usually Gorleston RNLI, but Hemsby independent usually get the call for the northern rivers, and often elsewhere because they have a boat specifically designated for the Broads, ready and waiting on a trailer, and can usually get to most inland locations quicker by road and short river journey than a purely waterbound service.  Horses for courses, but all of them do a great job and deserve support.

• Like 4

I would probably be drifting in an open boat about a mile off Dungeness power station, after a fishing trip that went bad. 

Someone on the boat hooked a large section of discarded netting. Excited at first thinking it was a monster cod. Less excited when they saw the extent of their "catch" .  The net was unhooked and someone unthinkingly let it go back over the side  where it caught up on the bilge keels of the fishing boat, from where it eventually found the prop.  Whilst the anchor was holding, we were not in any immediate danger but we weren't going anywhere either and the tidal "window" for getting back to the boat's moorings in Rye harbour was going to close in a couple of hours, plus it was starting to get dark, so the skipper called the RNLI. Within just over half an hour we were being towed back to port by an RNLI RIB with two massive outboards behind it. 40 minutes or so later we were back safely on our home moorings having a whip-round for drinks for the lifeboat crew.  Our skipper took an awful lot of "stick" from the lifeboat lads, who were all mates of his, but all was given and taken in good spirit.   Hats off to the RNLI . They are one charity whidh will always get my support!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you ask the RNLI, the very last thing that they would want is official funding. You provide your own funding, you do what YOU want not hidebound by other officials making decisions for you!

Government funding would probably kill it off in its present form and that is not the way forward! Well known adage here - if its not broke don't fix it and certainly not ever have it taxpayer funded which would totally leave it at the mercy of the public purse for future funding! 

Why on earth does anyone think that would improve it? The same applies to the Air Ambulance - fund that publically and you immediately put into direct competition with the normal ambulance service for funding! No, leave it as it is and let them make the decisions and keep the suits away!!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, JohnK said:

Do they get any lottery funding?
That could give them money without red tape couldn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lottery money comes with a lot of government induced ties. They actually control where the general placing of the money goes...