Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

Finny I have gone one better - a friend has put be on to these:

71KJC13vgWL._SL1500_.jpg

Fast and easy removing - no heat gun, no razor blades - the same chap called the Marina to see if they would accept the parcel, but has sent me some Teak veneer strips should I need them for the interior to dress any areas. I truly feel like I its me and then a whole bunch of others along side me even when I am on my own and I can see having a few thank you parties on the boat in the finer weather :)

• Like 2

Do the last of the parcels include a new VHF/ AIS transponder ?

As Grendel and I hope weather and visibility being OK. To do a bit of coast hopping from Dungeness to Ramsgate , and being able to track would be a bonus

Taking Photos from Dungeness point

Sy Marys bay/ Dymchurch

Hythe

Folkestone /Capel le ferne

Dover

Pegwell bay

and approach and arrival at

Ramsgate

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I am all set for long journey tonight - leave work, straight to Paddington and get a train down.By the time I get to the boat it will be gone 11pm 

Ahhh! So the whole thing revolves around Great Western, not the weather, sea state, mechanics and such like.

• Haha 1

Well I am worried about the section of line through Dawlish as the sea state tonight there is not going to be kind and may affect trains passing through here.

Do the last of the parcels include a new VHF/ AIS transponder?

No it did not - having spoken to several people at the Boatshow I was advised to wait until could go with a complete system and not buy a radio only to have it for a short time before an upgrade. The current system works it is just not AIS equipped. I also have two back up hand held VHF's one waterproof and floating, a grab bag, EPIRB but need to get some Flares from the local Chandler

Greeting Robin, Griff and team Indy,

Just caught up with this as been off site for a while. First of all good luck with the work weekend and Bon Voyage for your trip in Feb.

Just had to put my tuppence worth in here regarding fuel and tanks. It is bad marine practice to take a vessel to sea with all tanks cross connected and open to each other. Strongly recommend that you use just one tank to feed everything i.e. center and top up off the others.

I speak from bitter experience here, on a small coaster that I had just taken over on as chief engineer, the previous chief had left 2 bunker tanks cross connected and feeding the daily service tank via a transfer pump. We hit bad weather and water got into one of the bunker tanks. Sadly it was one of the cross connected ones so we ended up with 2 out of three bunker tanks contaminated as well as the daily service tank and the main engine and generator. Nett result = total power failure in a force 9 in the north sea, not an experience I care to repeat. Once I had figured out what had happened it took me 2 hours to restore power and a further 3 to restore propulsion. Needless to say it didnt do the fuel injection pumps and injectors much good either.

Just a cautionary tale...

hope all goes well and you all reach norfolk safely.

cheers

trev

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Last sleep and all systems are a go from the northern contingent or 'The A Team' that's me Wizard and Brian - all regular Lads Week crew members and members of 'B.A's restoration team.  Van is ready in all respects with numerous items onboard marked for Independence - I've lately got on first names terms with many delivery drivers!  Selection of my tools too.  By the time I have collected Wizard, his tools and Brian, I reckon we should be on the M18 no later than 0900-ish  299 miles door to marina,  Plymouth here we come.  Looking forward to seeing the Plymouth and London contingents.

Griff

• Like 5

As the boat has been moored in salt water for some time, do you know when the bottom of the hull/props were last cleaned, it does not not take much growth on either to negatively affect the performance?

2 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

As the boat has been moored in salt water for some time, do you know when the bottom of the hull/props were last cleaned, it does not not take much growth on either to negatively affect the performance?

You leave Barnacle Bill and his many family members alone , they are quite happy smuggled up on the props , rudders , and hull :default_biggrin:

1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

You leave Barnacle Bill and his many family members alone , they are quite happy smuggled up on the props , rudders , and hull :default_biggrin:

In their own "independent" little eco system

51 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Last sleep and all systems are a go from the northern contingent or 'The A Team' that's me Wizard and Brian - all regular Lads Week crew members and members of 'B.A's restoration team.  Van is ready in all respects with numerous items onboard marked for Independence - I've lately got on first names terms with many delivery drivers!  Selection of my tools too.  By the time I have collected Wizard, his tools and Brian, I reckon we should be on the M18 no later than 0900-ish  299 miles door to marina,  Plymouth here we come.  Looking forward to seeing the Plymouth and London contingents.

Griff

The A team eh , big boots to fill , n who's playing the part of Murdock :default_biggrin:, still 300 miles to debate that one in the morning , oh hang on 299 miles :15_yum:

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

I recall Robin saying one of the team was a diver, and going to inspect her bottom.

That is good since if the boat does not perform as expected and the bottom is known to be "dirty" then there is an immediate and plausible explanation.

27 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

That is good since if the boat does not perform as expected and the bottom is known to be "dirty" then there is an immediate and plausible explanation.

Hang on how would anyone on aboard know if performance was down or not ? isn't it the first time all have experienced a trader ? Apart form unusual vibration etc they have nothing to compare performance too , dirty bums wreck fuel consumption figures and at that stage in the game its unlikely you can do anything about having it cleaned so even more important to keep a watchful eye on fuel being used on route .

29 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Hang on how would anyone on aboard know if performance was down or not ? isn't it the first time all have experienced a trader ? Apart form unusual vibration etc they have nothing to compare performance too , dirty bums wreck fuel consumption figures and at that stage in the game its unlikely you can do anything about having it cleaned so even more important to keep a watchful eye on fuel being used on route .

True increased drag will result in higher fuel consumption, the increased drag can also "lug" the engines down a little so that they no longer reach the rated RPM with the resultant max boat speed being slower than the deigned max. The extra weight of the crane & tender if fitted after the boat was originally "propped" could also cause this. 

8 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

True increased drag will result in higher fuel consumption, the increased drag can also "lug" the engines down a little so that they no longer reach the rated RPM with the resultant max boat speed being slower than the deigned max. The extra weight of the crane & tender if fitted after the boat was originally "propped" could also cause this. 

Yep all true , weight and fouling lose quite a bit if performance but if you haven't got a yardstick to compare current performance to then your totally blind other than the obviously visual check underneath or without that vibration problem's showing via the boat itself , and let's not forget these little monsters especially love water intakes , I once found a tiny jelly fish In my weed filter at Yarmouth :default_blink: