Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

3 minutes ago, MorningSwan said:

Got to wonder about the fascination about someone bringing a perfectly capable sea going boat around the coast to Norfolk/Suffolk, yes it’s a big boat for the Broads and a long passage BUT.

Yes if it were a Calypso or something similar it would be interesting, even dramatic, as was Charlie’s trip with BA, a boat specifically designed for inland waterway use, to the Jubilee celebrations on the Thames in BA but a 300 mile coastal hop with a few stops in a boat like Robins?  Yes important to to owner of the boat, he wants it here , and.is recruiting competent and. Proven peopleto help him in his desire to achieve that.

the tone of this thread I’d becoming to be a lot of ‘experts’ telling/suggesting things that I seriously confidently suspect have already been covered by the people that really know what they are up to.

Lets just be happy for Robin and and wish the passage crew well, they DO know what they are doing.

I think it adds a great deal to the interest of this forum. I am not contributing anything to this particular thread but I ain't half enjoying it!

My thanks to all involved for sharing their most interesting experiences with us. I wish I were there!

:default_stinky:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MorningSwan said:

Got to wonder about the fascination about someone bringing a perfectly capable sea going boat around the coast to Norfolk/Suffolk, yes it’s a big boat for the Broads and a long passage BUT.

Its because secretly many would like to do it but never will.

I have a 1973 Calypso down in Medway,  I don't think it would survive a trip to open water let alone across it.  I have a road atlas,  I might start planning a trip,  is it left it right at the Isle of Sheppy.  :default_beerchug:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MorningSwan said:

That was interesting to see who checked my profile on this thread as I rarely post these days.

Ricardo, you do know me, think back to Pacific Princess and the Webber Family.

And your point is 

???? Of cause I know , probably too much to be honest , but I'll leave it at that given what happened , I wouldn't worry about who checks your profile I certainly don't :default_biggrin:

54 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Its because secretly many would like to do it but never will.

I have a 1973 Calypso down in Medway,  I don't think it would survive a trip to open water let alone across it.  I have a road atlas,  I might start planning a trip,  is it left it right at the Isle of Sheppy.  :default_beerchug:

Er done it thanks :default_biggrin:

So a fun packed afternoon of taking the boat to bits - currently I have no portlight in the Galley and in its place a bin bag to keep the water out. I have lost my spreader lights too and the fridge is non-operational so using the second one on the sundeck for beer cooling. This in ongoing and needs a new Rectifier.

My friend Dan who came up today with be doing a dive tomorrow and taking photos and film of the hull along with measuring our actual draft. Today, other than the the above was cosmetic cleaning and further water tank treatment. Tomorrow we will attempt to move the boat alongside my neighbor which should free up enough room to get the RIB in the water. The RIB was tested and serviced in August so I am confident she will run but she needs Petrol not diesel to run the engine. Crane had a complete new Carbon lifting wire, and manufacture certified test as to load also last August.

Life Raft is a six man job, and I might just buy a new one rather than mess about with it being serviced since it is 2003 vintage it has seen a lot of weathering and storage despite its certificated tests and services over that period.

Lots of bits and bobs to get tomorrow including having bespoke stainless steel brackets made to hold the new LED spreader lights on top of the Radar arch and may be having a 4Kw warm air heater installed between now and our departure date to avoid having to run the generator when underway to make electric to run fan heaters.

Anyway all this is being filmed but doing a bunch of things too means stopping to film what is going on is not that easy as on may think but will tr and post updates daily here to keep people up to speed.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

51 minutes ago, neilp1962 said:

Has anyone checked that all the beer left on the boat is still in date? Assuming Robin hasn't drank it all.

This technical boating stuff is all well and good, but priorities and all that....

Still in date, Neil?

I've never, ever known various crews who either knew or cared about that sort of thing!    :default_drinks:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Robin has some competition lol.

Now the big boys want a bit of The Broads. 1f601.png? Fabulous news for a place desperately in need of a boost. Hope it's the beginning of a new lease of tourism life for the place.

14225600_10154537796274485_4661646973719
EDP 24Like Page
13 hrs · 

Great Yarmouth is set for a tourism spending boost after it was confirmed cruise ships will be docking with hundreds of passengers at the town’s port.

safe_image.php?d=AQC2lDH2tbVURKWy&w=476&
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, brundallNavy said:
Robin has some competition lol.

Now the big boys want a bit of The Broads. 1f601.png? Fabulous news for a place desperately in need of a boost. Hope it's the beginning of a new lease of tourism life for the place.

14225600_10154537796274485_4661646973719
EDP 24Like Page
13 hrs · 

Great Yarmouth is set for a tourism spending boost after it was confirmed cruise ships will be docking with hundreds of passengers at the town’s port.

safe_image.php?d=AQC2lDH2tbVURKWy&w=476&

Yep the first one is due in early Feb :15_yum:

well thats a turn up for the books, I thought I would look on the shipfinder site and see if Independance had her ID flashing up yet - apparently not, but I must warn the crew to be careful as there appears to be a dredger proceeding up Grenville road.

dredging grenville road.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Labrador said:

What the hell are they going to do in Yarmouth?

Play in the ammusement arcades, visit the lap dancing bars, with the exception of Sarah Millican who commands £28.50 a seat watch some "has been" on Britannia Pier and sup some awful beer with a syrene cup of whelks.

What more could they want? The Golden Gate Bridge or the Grand Canal? They get a good view of the wind farm, that will do for them.

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 17:57, psychicsurveyor said:

Keep up Ricardo :default_biggrin:

Robin mentioned renewing the life raft in a previous post.

I suspect Independence and all equipment will be checked within an inch of her life before even sea trials are undertaken.

Thank god for YouTube!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Play in the ammusement arcades, visit the lap dancing bars, with the exception of Sarah Millican who commands £28.50 a seat watch some "has been" on Britannia Pier and sup some awful beer with a syrene cup of whelks.

What more could they want? The Golden Gate Bridge or the Grand Canal? They get a good view of the wind farm, that will do for them.

What no hanging gardens of Babylon :default_biggrin:

22 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Life Raft is a six man job, and I might just buy a new one rather than mess about with it being serviced since it is 2003 vintage it has seen a lot of weathering and storage despite its certificated tests and services over that period.

When we purchased our last boat it came with an out of date life raft as well as a newer one. For fun, we thought we would set it off in the garden. It was a sobering experience. It inflated as advertised but promptly deflated where several seams had failed. If I ever have the good fortune to own another boat, the life raft will be chosen with a great deal of care. 

If you buy a new one perhaps you could inflate the old one as a video for the blog? If anyone has access to a swimming pool, it might be interesting to see just how easy they are to climb in to.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Davydine said:

When we purchased our last boat it came with an out of date life raft as well as a newer one. For fun, we thought we would set it off in the garden. It was a sobering experience. It inflated as advertised but promptly deflated where several seams had failed. If I ever have the good fortune to own another boat, the life raft will be chosen with a great deal of care. 

If you buy a new one perhaps you could inflate the old one as a video for the blog? If anyone has access to a swimming pool, it might be interesting to see just how easy they are to climb in to.

Wise words .