Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

Think it was the gears they had trouble with?  Not sure what gears are fitted in this case, normally ZF or sometimes Twin Disc but there's usually a way of manually controlling the gear change solenoids.

I keep one of these as a backup

image.png.fb2c28e1daf8e401a31c6ec19f34810b.png

3 minutes ago, finny said:

Nah ........most of the crew are from Yorkshire ...................just hang your bum over the side job :11_blush:

Finny

Careful said Richard from Halifax west Yorkshire :15_yum:

18 minutes ago, finny said:

Just over the boarder Richard ................would now be a good time to mention the " War of the Roses ":default_biggrin:

finny

Not really since I was born in Liverpool :default_biggrin:  and I ain't joking :default_biggrin:just spent 99% of my childhood in Yorkshire , i don't do border's Finny but I get your point even spent 5 yrs in hebden bridge right on the border as it were :default_biggrin:

Evening All,  Team Indy now back to our various hovels, five hour drive again for the Northern contingent.

Robin will in due course do his magic with the editing and no doubt produce an updated video when he gets a moment to do so.

We certainly got a lot of items done between all of us, did not get every one ticked off but then one never seems to where boats are concerned.  The Williams rib / hoist works just fine, that one we did today, along with topping up the fuel tanks to the brim ready for 02nd Feb.  Talking of fuel tanks, I discovered and discussed with Robin further options on the tanks / draw and returns.  We now know there is in place via the valves and fuel manifold,  options to draw fuel from all three tanks independently or simultaneously.  I have just about got my head round it, another hour or so in the engine room and we will know all there is to know.

That electronic wizardry that control the engines.  'All' the system control is:-   Ahead / Neutral / Astern on the gearboxes and the amount of revs on each engine.  They do not control start / stop, that is via normal electric push buttons to solenoids / starter motors.  It is a fairly straightforward operation to disconnect the electronic boxes then control the engines / gearboxes manually  from the engine room, but far from ideal, you would need a relay of crew passing instructions.  We are getting more confident with the system but more homework needed, which of course our Robin excels in, so right up his street.

I'll do a bit of an update on the sea trial day but really this should be coming from Robin himself

Griff

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

no the other left you fool.

You can laugh (And I did too) but that actually happened on Sunday when I asked the foc'sle party to make ready the port head rope, he picked up the Stbd one and I shouted down - 'No, the other Port Brian' but then again he is ex-crabfat so what does one expect?

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have just caught up here with all that has been said - will be posting a full update of all that has happened later - and get on with video editing. I have also got (left on the boat sadly) footage from my mate Dan who dived down and got her draft (5ft 2") and found the hull and anti foul to be very clean - but port prop has a small 'chip' in it to be addressed and Anodes are in a poor state - have made inquiry that Goodchild Marine can lift a boat her size and allow owners to work on their boats on the hard, so this could be a goer in due course.

I am now off out to get an eye test and new glasses!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I have just caught up here with all that has been said - will be posting a full update of all that has happened later - and get on with video editing. I have also got (left on the boat sadly) footage from my mate Dan who dived down and got her draft (5ft 2") and found the hull and anti foul to be very clean - but port prop has a small 'chip' in it to be addressed and Anodes are in a poor state - have made inquiry that Goodchild Marine can lift a boat her size and allow owners to work on their boats on the hard, so this could be a goer in due course.

5' 2" draft..... I think you can expect a convoy of Broom's, Fairline's and Princess' to follow you when you navigate the New Cut.

I think you'll find brooms can lift it although its doubtful they will allow you to work on it where as good child's do , problem with good child's is getting into the dock under the hoist .

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Surely even the crab-fat used naval terms such as port and starboard? 'Tis only pongos what don't talk proper!

"Commissionaire, get me a taxi, will you?"

"I'll have you know Sir, I am not a commissionaire, I am a naval officer."

"Well get me a battleship then, I've got to get home somehow!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Couldn’t Dan find your glasses? Goodchild’s seem to lift out some quite large vessels so you should be ok there.

If I need to go to Goodchild's I would leave out the New Cut, head down to Breydon hang a right and head up to them that way. I also have to take into account yards that have a hoist able to lift her and who would allow works to be undertaken without necessarily using their staff. This is why Goodchild seem a good bet. They have lifted and re-powered a Princess 55 so I think I would fit under, have also heard good things from those who have had new nav gear and electronics fitted by them and they are used to pretty serious stuff since working on commercial craft there.

Right sorry to tease people here, must get on will do the big write up and share some photos after work :)

• Like 4