Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

24 minutes ago, Siddy said:

Think this thread needs splitting into two it's drifted away from what could be a long running topic for LR like Griffs was on BA he did on the otherside.

My view only.

I agree, this should be strictly Robin’s adventures aboard Independence 

• Like 3

So just back home from another weekend onboard Independence (I kinda like the fact I can shorten this to Indie and it still sounds good)

I arrived late Friday with Hailstones but by the time I got to the berth (mine is about as far as you can get from the main entrance) the Hail had given way to horrendous rain - I was soaked! All was good onboard and soon had my fan heater and convector going and things were warming up nicely.  No time for food mind, it was close on midnight so was a quick unpack and to bed.

I woke up Saturday to more rain and wind - I really did not feel like doing too much outside or going to town, so I began working on the fridge issue - after taking most of the galley to bits to get at it, turned out was a blown fuse - this was duly replaced and the fridge came to life. Sadly a few hours later it died again but rather than fear a dying fridge I will have to get a new Rectifier after all and if this does not fix it then I have lost little financially  and will replace it with a domestic version running off the 240v supply.

Time to head into the city and first thing was get to eat as I had nothing last night - Pizza Express it was.  love their dough balls, but prefer Zizzi Pizza personally and would love a fusion of both. Then it was off to Argos to get a basic Lithium battery drill, drill bits and a 75ft 'expanding' water hose. All this is about 15 minutes from the Marina so I could not me more central. Rain again, time to go back to the boat.

Upon getting onboard I notice the hatch to fly bridge is all dark - heart sinks - canopy has come loose I think, well I get up the ladder try and open hatch but find it stuck, get door open and get half through when I realise what peril I am in - too late - I am soaked with a lovely water and Gull sh*t mix. You see the canopy had got more and more laden with water, sunk in the middle like a paddling pool, the edge then came up and slipped off the screen and the wind caught it thus flipped it over the door and hatch.  I headed for the shower block, change of clothes and back into town. This time I got some waterproof trousers, and from Halfords a bunch of bungee straps.

Back on the boat, suitable 'suited up' with gloves I set about picking up the canopy, and trying not to get too covered with water and the dreaded Gull sh*t.  I then found a metal bar to make more of a 'tent' to stop water pooling as much, and used the bungee straps to held secure the canopy but have some give in it - it is a real hack but I think it will work, and was the best I could fashion up given the falling daylight and need to at least get the instrument panel from being exposed to the rain.

While doing this though I found a way to lift the forward seating in the fly bridge area, and you can crawl into a space above the saloon helm area, in here was some lovely thick ropes, more covers and all types of water/power and hydraulic lines - also access to the back of the instrument panel.

Back inside the boat and I was setting up a new speaker system a Logitech Z906 - it is  offers 1000w of 5.1 Dolby surround sound. and  I got 57% off of a black Friday deal and was pleased, because while it sounds loud it feels a bit too bass driven and that is because of a 30cmx30cm subwoofer which I have now found no space for - anyway having done a temp install and tested it does not sound too bad but you need some volume to get things working and then you are in danger of pissing off the neighbours - it looks totally over the top but that is find, I have put a big stamp of my character on the boat.

I then found out the boast has a safe - sadly it was empty - but is a proper bolted in affair and fancy keypad locking system. I also went to the engine room again where I like to pop down to and sit and contemplate and say "hmm" and "Where the hell does that go to" and then hit my head. However this visit was fruitful. I have found how hard it is going to be to change the starboard engines fuel and oil filters and I think I will need to employ a Toddler to get to the impeller on this side of the boat, and talking of impeller's it must be easily the size of my fist judging from the housing. Thankfully the port engine is all very accessible.

I also found the domestic water system has not got an accumulator after all on the cold waster inlet side - only one for the hot water side. This is kinda good news and kinda of bad news. The pump fitted is big (20L per minute) but the fact that the galley has poor pressure I think will have to be lived with, because pressure on the port side heads is good - not sure it is 20L a minute mind you but then it made me wonder what the hell the red accumulator tank was for - well turns out for the closed side of the air-con chillier lines. You see these get heated o chilled by the system and are probably a good 1.5" diameter pipes that serve the air handlers and then return to the chillers in the engine room. This explains the 14Psi and pressure gauge. I can however find no header tank for the system so I ma not clear on how one would drain and re-fill the system, as I would very much like to not have plain water in it but a 50/50 water antifreeze mix. I have found invoices from 2007-2012 where the system was each winter drained, flushed and left then re-filled after winter. But how do you know it is full? HFL who make it, have the worst website with no clear details so I can see this having to be a Contractor thing first time and then learn how it is done and do it myself thereon.

I did more cleaning surfaces and chucking out things, found perfect condition sets of vinyl window covers and some dirty but not too far gone mesh window covers for summer. I've now put these under the forward double in the bow where there is a large area of space and access to the bow thrusters. Talking of those, the rubber 'boot' from one of the controls on the helm has split, I called the company who make these (they are Tork Master made by Hardy Engineering) to be told you need to buy the entire panel - over £400.00 - I said I will live with a split rubber boot.

So might not sound like a great deal of action and progress, but with limited time and only me I am still happy with what I am doing and have a good plan going forward of the things I need to do, things that would be nice to have and the vanity projects that just will look nice but are not in any way essential.

• Like 15

Any plans for spending a week onboard Robin ? Must be very frustrating only being able to stay for the weekend, I’d be tempted to pull a “sickie” 

Come on people, let’s give Robin ideas, what illness do you need for a week off ? 

:default_biggrin:

Would it be possible to ditch the big and troublesome flybridge cover and just have small fitted covers for the helm and instruments? (ok maybe not until you get to Norfolk and away from the gull s**t)

Would it be possible to ditch the big and troublesome flybridge cover and just have small fitted covers for the helm and instruments? (ok maybe not until you get to Norfolk and away from the gull s**t)

I did find some further covers, one for the helm instrument  panel but I like the fact that cover is keeping the Gull droppings off the rest of the boat under it, I don't think this will be as much of an issue once away from the coast so may just revert to using the individual covers.

Any plans for spending a week onboard Robin ? Must be very frustrating only being able to stay for the weekend, I’d be tempted to pull a “sickie” 

I've already cut my hours by two days at work to spend more time generally sorting things out, but there is only so much I want to do while the boat is where it is which effectively is to have the fuel drained from the tanks and the tanks inspected/cleaned and then to have new navigation kit installed. That makes me feel happier and more confident about taking the boat 300 odd miles in winter seas back to Norfolk.

Next Spring I can get on with all the nice things - from seat covers to gel coat polishing. I will be a damn site closer to the boat then and can consider making the big move to Norfolk.

• Like 7

Come on people, let’s give Robin ideas, what illness do you need for a week off ? 

Well I would not recommend for him with what I had to go through last week.  I couldn't take an hour off, let alone a few days

(Perks of being self employed and not letting customers down)

You see I had what is commonly known as a case of 'The Runs' which was bad enough in itself, to exaggerate the condition though, this transpired into a 'Jurassic Anus' otherwise known as a 'Megasorearse' :default_badday:

Griff

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

27 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well I would not recommend for him with what I had to go through last week.  I couldn't take an hour off, let alone a few days

(Perks of being self employed and not letting customers down)

You see I had what is commonly known as a case of 'The Runs' which was bad enough in itself, to exaggerate the condition though, this transpired into a 'Jurassic Anus' otherwise known as a 'Megasorearse' :default_badday:

Griff

What had you eaten ?

14 hours ago, Snowy said:

Stress.

My sister hasn't worked for 10 years because of "stress" still on over half her pay though. Think her company are too scared to stop her money fully in fear of a "claim"

Some good news I spoke to Carl of CP Fuel Polishing today and a very nice man here seems to be.

The reason I am seeking the services of his company is because I do not know how long the boat has been sat and how old the fuel in her tanks is. Does it contain the dreaded ‘diesel fuel bug’ or perhaps there is a lot of muck and debris that have fallen to the base of the tank just waiting to be stirred up once one gets in to a bit of a rolling sea and potentially could clog the fuel filters and be an engine stopper why such are changed.

The main issue he can see is access to the tanks as ideally one would like to take off the inspection hatches and see what is actually in the tanks – then use a type of vacuum cleaner that sucks up any mess that be lurking. Once that is done the entire contents of the tank are pumped through a filtration system in a loop until the fuel is crystal clear.

Of course if he is not able to get into the tank, the fuel cleaning will sort any issues with the current fuel but not remove the any crude at the bottom of the tank. Another option is to drain fuel from the bottom of the tank and hope that what comes out will include any crude or another option would be to purposely stir up the tanks contents using a high pressure fuel pump and then begin to suck and filter the tanks contents capturing as much suspended matter as possible in the process until the fuel is clear and clean.

He has estimated 6 hours of onsite time, but this may vary and is based some 3 hours or so away in Poole so talking to him I was expecting several thousand pounds but initial estimate if all goes to plan is £580.00 odd. I can for see there will be issue and so will budge to double this but even so for peace of mind and knowing that what will be in the tanks is as clean fuel as one can hope for and then treat the fuel with a suitable ‘diesel bug’ treatment like Soltron, will be one big item ticked off the pre-departure list of things that have to be done.

I have also shared a video link and asked his permission if I may film some of the work he does and then be able to share the process with you all. I have emailed the Marina ever so politely seeking their permission for his visit and seeing what the state of play is as to parking. I hope they don’t put a spanner in the works and say no!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I wonder if it would be worth obtaining a 1000 litre IBC container and have one tank totally emptied into it, then cleaned and then the next tank pumped into the clean tank, followed by the third tank into the second, then the fuel in the IBC could be returned to the last tank after cleaning - or is this something they do anyway. 

do the inspection hatches have openings above for easier access (eg a bolt on hatch above) and if not, that may be a job to do at a later date so that access is easier in future. looking at the drawings in the owners manual, there could be access hatches set into the side decks to the top of the fuel tanks.

either way a photographic/ video record of the process will be useful, it might even be worth photographing the location of the inspection hatches to be able to provide with a request for their services next time (or any time in future)

inspection hatch in the deck should be achievable, you would need to thin the teak decking where the hatch was, and it would be removable from beneath only, would have a rubber seal between it and the hull, with nuts underneath (maybe wingnuts) the cover would have welded studs protruding to attach the nuts to.

inspection hatch.JPG

• Thanks 1

Little update - so the Marina have 'accepted me' and offered me a deal - stay another year and save 5% on the mooring - but they also have agreed to let the contractor on the pontoon which is nice though oddly they don't usually allow such to be done at weekends, despite the office being manned 7 days a week. Anyway I have rearranged dates so the fuel cleaning will take place on 16th December.

The tanks do have an inspection hatch on top of them, but to get to such means laying on the engine, reaching through the air intake baffle and having about 20cm or less clearance . I would never consider having holes cut in the decks just to get down to the tank beneath there should never be any need as all that is required is enough room to get a suction hose in to the tank to scour the bottom.

Once the bottom of the tank is cleaned, a smaller set up is then used - this takes fuel out the tank, through two very fine micron filter elements, then back into the tank - this processes is repeated in a loop until all particulars, water etc contaminants are removed from the tank. The process is expected to take 6 hours to complete but could go on for longer if the fuel is very bad. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2