Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

4 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Don't suck it up. We live in a country that regulates energy and trade. And Robin knows his stuff. Don't let people walk over you so easily.... question everything check every fact and figure. There is always someone willing to take your money. Don't let them do it without a fight.

To be honest since Robin needs the marina's blessed for him to get the contractor on site to sort out his boats fuel issues then making an enemy out of the marina is a seriously bad move , had he no need them to give their blessing to said contractor then I would have said defiantly go and challenge them re the bill for electricity but that not the case here if he does they they are quite within their rights to not allow outside contractors onboard his vessel a d then he has serious problem's .the last thing in the world i would personally promote is people not investigating their rights but in this case even my  head strong self  can see that could well be a very foolish thing to do .

We've had a dehumidifier running constantly since October plus general useage when on the boat most weekends using a couple of heaters, tv etc. Think we are up to about £25 so far but obviously its a considerably smaller boat than Robins! 

• Like 1

I repeat it is illegal to resell electricity at a higher charge than supplied.

There was a debate on here not long ago when the BA tried to charge for the card thus supplying less than £1 for a £1 card they had to back down.

If you are running air con and heaters the cost does not seem excessive to me.

A boat is effectively a very great heat soak, without hull insulation you are heating moving water around it.

Robin get your diesel heating fitted as a priority.

Do you need to heat all areas at the moment?

After a leak at home (while we were on the boat) the insurance company installed 2 massive dehumidifiers for 2 weeks, they paid for the power used BUT next year our monthly bill went up by £25 a month until we were massively in credit and they then re-estimated things and rebated the over payment.

If it is a reverse flow air con then triple what you think it may use.

Running air con in a car can cost a loss of 5 miles per gallon.

paul

3 hours ago, KaptinKev said:

Now I have pulled this one out of the air so to speak, but I think the going rate is about 15 to 20 pence per KWH. I know they have overheads regarding cost to keep your supply up to date and safe, but I think that is the going rate.

actually thats cheaper than the highest rate I pay at home , I was just looking at my bill and I'm paying 22.19p per unit, so thats not too bad, at least your lighting will cost you less now you've changed over to LED

3 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

I repeat it is illegal to resell electricity at a higher charge than supplied.

There was a debate on here not long ago when the BA tried to charge for the card thus supplying less than £1 for a £1 card they had to back down.

If you are running air con and heaters the cost does not seem excessive to me.

A boat is effectively a very great heat soak, without hull insulation you are heating moving water around it.

Robin get your diesel heating fitted as a priority.

Do you need to heat all areas at the moment?

After a leak at home (while we were on the boat) the insurance company installed 2 massive dehumidifiers for 2 weeks, they paid for the power used BUT next year our monthly bill went up by £25 a month until we were massively in credit and they then re-estimated things and rebated the over payment.

If it is a reverse flow air con then triple what you think it may use.

Running air con in a car can cost a loss of 5 miles per gallon.

paul

Yes yes yes and that's from some one who 10 yrs back took a marina to court for over charging so I'm well versed in the law regarding electricity re sale and nothing has changed law wise from then to now , however when I came to renew my mooring suddenly it was unavailable and I got the standard agreement 28 days to leave , all that for standing my ground .

The situation with BA was completely different no one had anything to lose by questioning them , and yes they were proved to be wrong in their charge's which resulted in benefits for all and unbeknown to most I guess on here  it was not as reported in another place the actions of one person that changed things no matter how much credit they took at the time !!! 

2 hours ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Don't suck it up. We live in a country that regulates energy and trade. And Robin knows his stuff. Don't let people walk over you so easily.... question everything check every fact and figure. There is always someone willing to take your money. Don't let them do it without a fight.

I wasn't actually complaining, although I'd like it to be free as part my annual mooring fee. 

This time of the year with a hot water immersion heater, a few tube heaters set above the frost level, the fridges plus battery charger +++. it is easy to really chomp into the electricity. even the electrical consumption of an Erbespatcher can be 85w.

In a marina there is a fairly extensive infrastructire investment after they have bought the electricity from the "utility supplier", posts, meters, DP's, plus of course much cable that all has to be maintained.  

Robin - with regards to the marina office - Say nowt! - For now.

Wait until the contractors for the fuel system is sorted, then get stuck into them with regards for querying the price / units used.  It won't have any effect when my team comes to visit in January as we are not contractors, just a bunch of mates coming down for a social weekend onboard and helping you out - UNPAID - whilst we are at it - All of which is 100% true so you stand to gain / lose precisely - Nowt!

Griff

• Like 8

Hi Robin, if we're me I think I'd pay up and keep them sweet while you need outside contractors on site.

Quick look at the figures. Say 4 weekends of say 48hrs with all the heaters, Chargers etc works out at about 1.5 units an hour. With all the 'playing' with the tech onboard plus learning how to heat your boat I don't think it's far out. I bet the next bill will be half that at most. It always takes a lot of heat to bring the temp up when left for a while without background heating. Once the diesel has been scrubbed you should be truly Independent :default_icon_e_biggrin:

Thanks for letting us all in on your great adventure.

Best regards from us both

Colin and Ruth 

Thanks for the replies about the electricity and I have some news. The electric is charged at 16.6p per unit - each post has a meter and the meter reading was taken from the period I took ownership of the boat. I will check on Friday evening when I get to the boat if this meter reading is the same as per invoice, and also that my plug has a lock on it so somebody else cannot sneak some of my power.

In all honestly though I think I have spent 3 long weekends (lost count now) on the boat, and in this time I have had the water heater going, an electric towel rail and a 1,750w fan heater in the saloon and a convector heater in the aft cabin on low (750w). Because I have been on board a lot of the time, both of these have been used quite a bit - couple in the tube heater left on a timer in engine bay (10pm to 8am) and two other tube heaters one in forward cabin one in after cabin on 24hrs I'd say the bill sounds about right.

This time I have some thermostatic sockets to use - the tube heaters were left on as we did have some cold evenings and a couple of below freezing nights so I;'d rather spend the money and have peace of mind.

In other news - I have secured a lovely mooring on the Broads, not where I originally planned but I will now be in Brundall. Side on, 60ftlong with my own bit of lawn by the boat, perfect.

But the most important news is my new key ring has arrived! Gone is the large Cork ball so many boaters have, and hello Blue Fender! How appropriate lol!!

Fender Image.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

Good news Robin re mooring it’s always a relief when the mooring is sorted.

Sounds like you will be around we’re we moor so will look forward to seeing you around and have a beer ir two, poss three or four then !

John

• Like 1

Well I cant imagine you will be wanting to navigate Hobroughs dyke on a regular basis in a 57 footer so im thinking Brundall Bay, or Brooms on the island? I will have to make sure to be at the boat the day you arrive, in fact how about a forum flotilla for the final stretch of the Yare?

In other news - I have secured a lovely mooring on the Broads, not where I originally planned but I will now be in Brundall. Side on, 60ftlong with my own bit of lawn by the boat, perfect.

looks like we are going to be neighbours robin, we are moving to a new mooring in the spring , linear with our own lawn and bbq area....bliss :default_cool:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Look forward to seeing you at Brammerton Woods End at the weekend.   ? 

It will be quite a sight to see the Trader moored there

I think Robin will be using the RIB to scout all his likely mooring spots along the Yare, especially with regard to depth at low tide

21 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Robin - with regards to the marina office - Say nowt! - For now.

Wait until the contractors for the fuel system is sorted, then get stuck into them with regards for querying the price / units used.  It won't have any effect when my team comes to visit in January as we are not contractors, just a bunch of mates coming down for a social weekend onboard and helping you out - UNPAID - whilst we are at it - All of which is 100% true so you stand to gain / lose precisely - Nowt!

Griff

Very sound advice if I may say so Robin, softly softly catchy monkey ?