Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

6 minutes ago, Bexs said:

Good decision.

Thank you for sharing this with us, really feels like we are there too. 

Agreed.  Watching this has made me feel sea sick for the first time in my life!

Have a great trip tomorrow guys.

Regards Happy (aka Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Was someone asking about saving the videos using Chrome? I'm using Chrome on a Mac and it's automatically putting the videos into my Downloads folder. Don't know if that helps at all.

Oh I wish my did that but I am using Windows 10 and it is hopeless.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

And don't forget good child's closes at 5 pm , so much more sensible to moor there till the morning then up the yare on Tuesday morning , its along leg from Dover and very likely miss the incoming tide up the yare , safety is more important than plan A for sure .

What about the bridge at Reedham does that stay open over night?

I would just like to add to the clear and momentous support from forum members here to Team Independence. . . I’m enjoying your account thoroughly !!!

Thank you for sharing with us Robin, Griff & Crew.

My best wishes for a continued safe and enjoyable transit to Brundall.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hylander said:

What about the bridge at Reedham does that stay open over night?

Don't know to be honest but I doubt its manned after the last train n before the first in the morning purely for boats , then again there's a temporary mooring either side of it anyway , problem being they are both on the marsh side so no pub or anything .

Still doesn't ever bother me I fit under at all states of tide including tidal surge's :15_yum:

So pleased to know you are in a safe haven. At one point watching vessel finder there was a lifeboat showing nearby then I read it had been there all day so stopped worrying. Have a nice meal a jar and a well deserved rest. You must be very tired, I am just watching.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Don't know to be honest but I doubt its manned after the last train n before the first in the morning purely for boats , then again there's a temporary mooring either side of it anyway , problem being they are both on the marsh side so no pub or anything .

Still doesn't ever bother me I fit under at all states of tide including tidal surge's :15_yum:

it,s 24 hours, so no probs

15 minutes ago, Islander said:

Not be able to get to the pub Ricardo? Robin and team Indy will have that RIB in the water in a flash:default_biggrin:. Then off to The Ship for a few :default_beerchug::default_beerchug::default_drinks:

Good Luck tomorrow Team Indy.

Colin

Yep but its OK its 24 hrs not that iv taken any notice as iv always been having too much of a good time with friends in reedham to do so + I can get under it without a problem day or night :15_yum:

The bridge is manned 24hrs a day because the control room is basically the wrong side of the river. In the old days they used to swing the bridge open after the last train of the day and then row across the river and go home. The next day before the first train through they would row back and close the bridge. These days due to elf and safety they are not allowed to do that and due to the requirement to not block the navigation someone has to sit in the control room just in case the bridge needs to be swung for a boat. Having said that, the way the tide can rip through there, its probably a good thing that elf and safety stepped in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

The bridge is manned 24hrs a day because the control room is basically the wrong side of the river. In the old days they used to swing the bridge open after the last train of the day and then row across the river and go home. The next day before the first train through they would row back and close the bridge. These days due to elf and safety they are not allowed to do that and due to the requirement to not block the navigation someone has to sit in the control room just in case the bridge needs to be swung for a boat. Having said that, the way the tide can rip through there, its probably a good thing that elf and safety stepped in.

You can’t deny, watching the rowing would have been good  :default_biggrin:

Well I am now home from my trek across Kent with Fairtmiddlin, we have endured rain hail and snow, times when we could barely see the shore let alone independence, we got good footage and pictures at Dungeness, but from then on they were either too far out, or visibility was rubbish, and then it was dark and we could just see the lights, anyway, as soon as they turned in fro Dover we headed to the marina, a quick check at the office and yes they were coming in, we got into position and filmed them coming in.

then it was onboard to warm up as the crew  had coffee, looked at the shots we had taken, then it was a walk to weatherspoons for a quick drink and a meal. departure time was discussed and it may be an early start for the crew, no fuel tonight or in the morning, as they had to slow down and throttle back, they used less fuel than they thought, so have plenty for tomorrow.

video is uploading to youtube, the 890 photos I took will probably have to wait until after I get home from work tomorrow, here are some pictures to keep you going, Independance performed well, despite the conditions. video is the raw footage as they came in.

IMG_8720.JPG

IMG_8721.JPG

IMG_8722.JPG

IMG_8723.JPG

IMG_8724.JPG

IMG_8725.JPG

IMG_8726.JPG

IMG_8727.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 11

RightI will get this written whilst it's stil fresh in this old brain

Early start this morning as going Boat Chasing with Grendel. well it should have been an early start but someone pulled the bath plug out and was sat on me butt for most of the morning. Till 11:10 when the call went up they had left

Now the plan was to rally down at the light railway cafe at Dungeness. (This was after picking up Grendel at Canterbury ) then walking down to the very point of Romney marsh till our feet got wet and then we would stop and take various photigraphs and video films and such like. All well and good but the best laid plans etc. It was blowing an absolute HOOLY and to boot it were proper cold with it. So huddled beside the Seabird hide to get in the lee of the wind check Marine traffic still off fairlight point. so decide to relocate to said Railway cafe once more.1for more warming coffee 2 because it was so cold the last cup had gone straight through. coffee in hand 36 minutes until they reach Dungeness. Relocate back to the back of beyond and the lee of the hide here upon INDEPENDENCE in all her glory came porpoising through the waves like some demented school of dolphins enjoying a jolly. Many Photigraphs and video films later off they dissapeared into the foam that is Hythe bay with all of its shallows. Now all plans that we were going to chase and photograph at various vantage points high up on bits of cliffs went with the wind. rain ,hail , snow more rain then Darkness (no not the group from Lowestoft) Finally sitting in dover waiting for the passage of a set of recognisable light close to Shakespear beach (from where a lot of the channel swims start ) and suddenly there into Dover so  down to the much changed marina at Dover.

Then onto Indy and the guided two Guinea tour and refreshments cause had none cause the cafes are all shut early.

Day well rounded off at the Eight Bells in Dover high street and running over the days injuries faux pas and tomorrows woes to come.

Was a great day with great company Ive already said it to Grendel but will say it again thank you for an enjoyable day and to the Crew and owner of Indy Gentlemen my esteem of you went up several notches today that was some journey

Robin Don't forget allow three days in Norfolk to scrub off the salt and clean the bilges and engine room.

Charlie one  thing to say to you, Shiny side out!

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

INDY1.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

In the last photo? To just say that the boat hasn't got a list to Starboard

This is what happens when you blip 20hp of bowthruster, to push you onto the pontoon, the boat actually heels over.

Will look through some more photo's and video's tomorrow

But for now bed beckons

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1