Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

Robin, this may sound silly, but it might be worth putting the keys on to the key ring and testing that it actually floats if you drop it in water (suggest you try in the sink rather than the marina!) I used to use a little foam anchor key ring and was surprised to find it would only actually float with one small key on it. Often used to see people with massive bunches of keys with one little cork ball and I suspect that had they been dropped it would have gone straight to the bottom.

• Like 6

Maybe the keyring version is to serve as to remind him to clip the full size blue fender to the key ring before he leave's the boat ? 

That way the keys are safe and there's no danger of forgetting them on a bar or such like + everyone knows who you are bit like a big name badge really :default_coat:

Sooooo been a while but finally got round to getting a long awaited video (from November) up and running, but another is fast ont he way from this weekend too..

The keyring - I tested it, it sinks so useless but I am keeping it and will get something that floats in due course. Anyway, without further ado here is the video update:

• Like 12

Robin that pipe you found behind the little doors In the bed structure that seams to go from the bottom oif the water tank to the top , it looks a clear pipe to me but I'm struggling to see it properly but if it is clear you might just have stumbled across the level guage for the water tank , like you point out its similar to a balance pipe except vertical and if both valves are open the level in the pipe will correspond with the tank level , other than that I can't see any reason for the pipe being there , there will be a valve on the outlet to the pump no doubt at all and should be at the tank or very close to it .

Fuel wise that could be diesel bug being hazy n all but its as you know treatable , engine wise oil filters n impeller changes defiantly before heading out and as yiu quite rightly point out pump and alternator belts too they age harden stuck in the same place which is why they should be removed and stored in a dark place when the boat is winterised same with the impellers , gen set service is as you say very important for both power and heat while at sea and belt n braces have spare impellers , belts and filters with you and knowledge of how to bleed the fuel lines after changing a filter  if its not an electric lift pump which I'd be very surprised if it isn't in that case you just crank it till it goes .

See there you go I can spend your cash for ya , but seriously its better to have spares + if you've got them it makes ordering others easy from the parts numbers .

Ricardo: I can say that the engines were fully serviced in August, and belts changed. So I am not needing to worry about this - upon checking the oil in the engines it is still golden showing how little run time the engines have had since service. .However, I will need some spare parts you're right  but finding them is proving frustrating - The main engines are Yanmar 6CXM-GTE 2 but the parts for  generator which is branded Cummins Onan but has a Kubota engine are worse since the Parts.Cummins website does not list them with my serial number!

So I went by model number (I forgot this as I left the service manual I have on the boat) which is great to tell you what to do and when but does no give a single part number and it does not show up on the usual marine parts websites since it is not usually used as a boat propulsion engine but a plant engine.

Previously the boat was 'officially winterized' in so far as belts off, impellers removed, raw water side filled with anti-freeze and so on and so forth - I am not going to be doing this because the time between now and leaving I don't think is too long and it may even have a run out in January so I am just keeping the engine room heated (and the interior too) hence my monthly electric bills are running on the high side . As you will learn in the next update video I have fixed the dish washer and went mad using that and got the washer dryer going too (but it floods the galley when it fills with water) and the dryer function has a lot to be desired so gave up and  spent £15 in the Marina's laundry room to wash the towels.

Oh and yep the pipe for the water tank is a level indicator - I have been in touch with a fellow Trader owner who advised on this, but also gave me some not so welcome news that his draft is about 5ft. He does play it a little safe, but I would say mine is going to be between 4ft 8" and 5" depending on how much water and fuel is onboard this won'#t be an issue on the Yare but I I would not be surprised if on a low tide in the Marina in Brundall she will be in the mud.

So, time for another update:

In this shorter video, I get on with the final cabin to be cleaned - and I mean all out, full inspection and every surface cleaned down and this time it is the twin cabin on the starboard side. Upon lifting a panel under the bunk I found something odd - possible water ingress from the port light but running down the inside of the hull and not touching the wood that surrounds the port light - it was not wet, and actually appeared to look like a muddy deposit over a long period of time where water had come in with sentiment dried and the black sediment then was left over. I duly cleaned all this away and will keep an eye over time what happens here, since I have a leak in one of the galley port lights that has rotted the wood!

I now need to find out where I can get some faced ply that might not match exactly but at least is of the same colour/finish as what is up currently - I am contemplating doing a temporary fix whereby we stop the leak and attend to the soft wood just to seal it and put a stop to its spread while then working on a permanent cosmetic solution down the line.

I also thought I would give the washer dryer a go -it worked, for a few minutes before water began to gush out the detergent drawer on the front. I duly stopped the machine, cleared up the resultant water from the galley and tried again - worked and then once again flooded out. It did not do this on rinse cycles mind you only on initial fill (and no the drum was not full and overfilling). It may be a partially blocked pipe leading to the drum, but since its performance was less than great I may just be getting a newer machine the fun will be removing the old and getting a new in, as it can only fit through he port side sliding door by the helm.

Next up was the Dishwasher. This was in a terrible state inside so thought why not first put it through a cycle - thing was I did not check the filter and as the machine did it's thing I had no idea that no water was being drained at the end of the cycles, just filling up the interior - more water to clean up, messy, yucky, greasy water at that. However after much time it was not only gleaming but the stiff to open runners on the drawer were smooth running once more and it is a lovely addition to have on board and made short work of the mountain of glassware I found!

• Like 6

its a bit late now as you’ve already brought it, but for anyone else considering an iPad Pro or and iPad for that matter, you do not need to pay the extra for the cellular feature 

ive owned many iPads over the years, first one was cellular until I discovered ‘Personal Hotspot’ which turns your iphone into a mobile internet hub if you like

connect iPad to iphone

hey presto iPad now cellular and a dam site faster internet connection than an iPad with built in cellular !

• Like 1

I use my iPad Pro through a 3 mifi router when out and about and through the home WiFi at all other times. No need for cellular here.

The 3 unit is very fast and am able to watch now tv, Amazon & Netflix with no problems at all (with iPad connected to hdmi on tv through adaptor)

Robin to get over your Blutooth problem Amazon have these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Transmitter-Receiver-Adapter-Bluetooth-Black/dp/B01N1G1S4B/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513275014&sr=8-2&keywords=RT-B6+bluetooth

Have one and it works great.

The Onam gennie best thing to do is take off the side panels and find the model number of the Kubota, then just ring MST and quote what you want for that engine.

Thank you for the latest update. Its looking very cosy and homely.  Cant get over the vast quantities of glasses but at least you can enjoy washing them over and over!   I like the silver horses but you can keep the gulls . Get a ships cat!  :594c04f07a501_default_AnimatedGifCats(124):

Thanks for posting the update Robin,  the boat is looking good,  your hard work is paying off.

You might want to fix the tube heater to a bit of timber to keep the heat away from the vanished surface,  the can get quite hot. 

I am thinking of filling my fender key floats with expanding foam to improve buoyancy :default_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

Robin,

i think the reason your washing machine floods is it fill by passing water through the drawer to collect powder softener etc, I’m guessing that the drawer needs removing and the buildup of powder sludge cleaning that’s blocking the pipe to the drum.

Doug.

I would totally agree with this, and possibly a very easy quick fix,

clearly the previous owner didn’t care for white goods maintenance especially after the state the dishwasher was in !

loving the blogs Robin even though I don’t understand half of it 

Robin has previously removed the drawer completely, cleaned and refitted the thing, made not a jot of difference to the overflowing situation.  So, he now has to remove the machine from it's location. get the back / top off and inspect / clean out the delivery pipes from the drawer to the drum.  We have discussed  this scenario, I have the now-normal sneaky feeling I'll be tackling this one for him next month.  Even if successful it won't fix the poor performance of the dryer though

Griff

Guys,

Robin explained why he got the cellular Ipad in the video. The non-cellular ones don't have GPS :)

Re the washer dryer. If you are going to replace it Robin I think I would be inclined to dismantle it for removal rather than dismantle parts of the boat and then replace it with a slimline.

Steve

1 hour ago, VetChugger said:

Also, the drier function on combination machines has always been power hungry and inefficient even in a domestic setting. If you replace it I would be inclined to go for washer only with a good final spin speed.

And a good dehumidifier with laundry mode. :default_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016UF7J5C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the bluetooth unit I got for the boat to save the 3.5 lead running all over. I've listed it before and the price does drift about. Good toy and has saved me getting shouted at in the house for cables from my keyboard and cd mixer unit upstairs. I just bluetooth to the 500watt speaker in the passage.

Also your showing your goodies onboard but does it have an alarm I've not heard you say.

Is it Christmas all of a sudden?

Is our Kitchen now a Naval Stores shed?

Nope,  It's now a layapart store for Independence, that what it is.  MrsG commenced with having a canary fit when this lot started arriving, asking me just what I had been buying, why, how much? etc etc   Fortunately our Robin has sensibly got all items addressed with 'c/o Independence' so that was my yard arm cleared instantly and put MrsG swiftly back in her box.  There are now nine items with more to come no doubt.  I can't wait for the new washer / dryer to turn up (Not told MrsG about that one yet :default_icon_e_surprised: )

Griff

• Like 2
  • Haha 5