Free Heat..?

LondonRascal

9 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Robin i would expect a few electric fan heaters set to half would cost less than running diesel heating in most cases but I suppose it all depends!! 

I think that one sentence sums it all up! What we have been talking about here is a car heater, which works off the cooling water of the engine. Everybody's car heater works like this. Problem is, it is only heating a tiny space in which 4 people sit.

The sheer calorific value, in BTUs, necessary to heat a space as large as Robins saloon would probably be impractical, and it would probably have a bad effect on the optimum running temperature of the engine itself.

As you are running two bloody great diesels, why not have a 1000W fan heater, running through a suitable inverter, while they are running? I assume you are going to fit larger alternators to these engines, when you install more domestic, or "hotel power" batteries?

This also assumes that you will be doing a lot of cruising but what you have described so far tends to suggest that you will be spending more time aboard when moored up. In which case an oil fired boiler system circulating through radiators will give you autonomy (if you are not moored in a marina) and will use a very small amount of power when you are "hooked up" to the shore.

From what I can see of your future thoughts so far I think this would be a good solution.

If i am right in presuming the berth was paid up for the year by the old owner I would be thinking about moving on rather than renewing if something as simple as a wifi code is going to upset them

Yes but I was going to be asked to leave before Christmas, or I'd have to pay over £500 a month to keep it there until the date the Contract ended with the previous owner. I kicked up a fuss and had evidence of a verbal agreement between me and the Broker (why filming things helps) long story short I singed  a Contract stating my name and address and the berth in my name coming to an end 31st March 2018 - and I had nothing to pay. I can well imagine this annoyed the Marina since they have a waiting list and could have got a new berth holder in paying up front for the year many thousands of pounds but it just was another sweet thing for me in this journey I am on.

As you are running two bloody great diesels, why not have a 1000W fan heater, running through a suitable inverter, while they are running? I assume you are going to fit larger alternators to these engines, when you install more domestic, or "hotel power" batteries?

I'm not going to be changing the Alternators for the new batteries, but will need some pretty smart voltage regulation between them and the new batteries - since the new batteries are going to be Lithium. I also need an Inverter but neither of these two things need to be done in Plymouth.

This also assumes that you will be doing a lot of cruising but what you have described so far tends to suggest that you will be spending more time aboard when moored up. In which case an oil fired boiler system circulating through radiators will give you autonomy

I doubt there will be much cruising being done - certainly not compared to what one would expect on a 'river boat' which countless people have reminded why go to the expense and trouble of fitting her out with such a comprehensive navigation suite let alone all the rest of the features such as the Lithium battery system, to be honest it boils down to the fact I simply wish to.

Robin i would expect a few electric fan heaters set to half would cost less than running diesel heating in most cases but I suppose it all depends!! 

It would be cheaper, but it would not be integrated and I like fancy control panels and fans and industrial things and why I like the space this boat has to to fit such items. Oh, and I have a bit of an obsession with fans and air-con lol.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

So effectively they expected to be paid again for a mooring that had allready been let and paid up for the year.  Thats shockingly unscrupulous and well done for covering yourself and not letting them get away with it!  

Unfortunately its quite common practice , extremely wrong but I happens a lot hence good to talk to the sellers regarding the mooring status had Robin not done so he could have well been billed not knowing it was already paid for .

PS please don't mention alternator's they are a sore subject here with me :default_crying1animated:mine has taken to announce its impending failure with a ignition light and buzzer ! , no worry's we have a replacement sitting in a cupboard and just wants the conversion to suit the advanced regulator which I could probably do with my eyes closed by now :default_biggrin:

They wanted £500 a month and no wifi.!!!!, and as for the chandlers I think I would be talking to the owners of all the dive boats and fishing boats to find where they go for bits and pieces. There has to be more choice in Plymouth.

I no longer have any connections in Plymouth having given up diving over 20 years ago so can't help but there must still be places where when you walk in the door they smell of hemp and cotton.

Colin:default_drinks:

p.s. Love the simrad sonar. What we would have given for that when diving. We had Decca and a brilliant skipper to find the wrecks to dive on.

pps Goodluck Ricardo

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

why go to the expense and trouble of fitting her out with such a comprehensive navigation suite let alone all the rest of the features

I don't blame you! When I was at naval college I learned coastal navigation with the help of very early small boat radar and later used it for a few years in the RFA. I would love to be able to use the modern technology that is now available, and enjoy all the information that it can provide. In my day the Decca Navigator was the state of the art and a fine system it was, too. I also imagine that such an upgrade will protect the re-sale value of your ship, when the time eventually comes, so money well spent, in my view.

This thread is about heat, however, and I still think a diesel fired boiler system running radiators will be the best solution for the use that you want out of the boat.

By the way, for solid state charge splitting, I also recommend Peachments. They have an American system called X - SPLIT which comes in various packages depending on what you what to do. We installed it on around 200 luxury modern hire boats, and it works!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1