Floating Pontoons Or Not?

Our current mooring has a fixed jetty and I am hankering to be on a floating pontoon again. I would be interested to hear what others prefer as I may be thinking through rose tinted brain matter :42_confused:

My ski boat is on a floating pontoon and I like that a lot.
I’m about to gain another mooring that will be fixed (hopefully).
But the floating pontoon is at Burgh Castle with a huge tidal range and the fixed one will be at Potter with almost no tidal range.
I think I’d hate a fixed one at Burgh Castle but a floating one would be wasted at Potter.
Horses for courses I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always on a floater if I can. Have had fixed and floating at brundall and whilst the fixed is fine, I just like the no worries on a pontoon. Especially if you get a big tide. 

2 yrs ago we had a big tide the day my boat was being lifted and the NYA guys were running around adjusting mooring lines. Don't happen often though. 

Yes the peace of mind is a big factor. To be fair the owner of my current mooring does keep a good eye on lines and stays on site overnight when big tides or bad weather is due but its still a risk and much more of a faff setting lines, fenders, and a fenderboard too in my case. Not all floating pontoons are created equal though, It would have to be a nice wide stable one, I have seen some that look to have been designed to dump you in the drink at the slightest opportunity.

Definitely floating pontoon at Brundall. I was at Brundall Gardens and had a fixed mooring initially. The difference (rise and fall) was so significant for my Norman 23 that I had to start timing my departure/returns to a certain tide level. If I arrived at the boat at the wrong time I literally had to lie flat to be able to unzip the canopy. Being narrow beam, the gunnels are fairly narrow which made getting down onto the boat with the canopy up was very iffy indeed. Eventually I managed to convince the marina bods that it was actually dangerous! They swapped me to a floater!

Although the discussion is relating to permanent moorings I have to say that when on the south rivers I really do like the pontoon moorings. Knowing that you can go to sleep or leave the boat without worrying you might not have slackened the mooring lines sufficiently is really nice.  It is such a contrast to cruising on the north rivers where the issue really doesn't exist. Liz

• 3 months later...

Thread update: We have now moved to a floating pontoon!, well almost as the ramp section is articulated but I am going to fix a centre cleat to the boat so I can tie just to the floating section. Well pleased so far, loads of space around the boat and very easy to get the boat in and out of the berth.

pontoon.jpg