National Park? Does It Matter?

Mods, feel free to delete this thread if you think it’s going to turn to nastiness.

As I understand it the broads aren’t officially a national park.

But some people call it a national park.

Is that true?

Some people here seem to get quite heated on the subject.

Does it really matter? Why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it SHOULD matter. I live just outside the New Forest NP, and can vouch for the ridiculous rules and regulations that go on. Things like thatched cottages CANNOT be re thatched with Norfolk read but are quite happy for residents to use far more expensive EU thatch. Things like houses being painted with the wrong type of paint, houses which cannot have double glazing to keep out the cold, severe restrictions on decoration etc etc. Living in an NP is fraught with red tape and beaurocracy which renders some people having to sell up because they cannot earn enough money to maintain a property in the manner demanded by the NP authority. 

As for the Broads, take a look at the restrictions now imposed on boating in "The Lake District NP. No more water skiing, sailing boats only on most lakes, none on some, and a blanket 6mph speedlimit by what few motor vessells that are still on Windemere. There`s also the ongoing threat of the Sandford principle, which prohibits ALL motor vessells in the park, which is continually being discussed in The Lake district NP.  Can you imagine the upheaval on the Broads if the damned authority were successful in implimenting full NP status,  99% of us would have to take our filthy deisel or petrol engined boats to other waterways, waterways which might be overcrowded already?. 

Yes, it most certainly DOES matter, and for very good reasons too. Just hope the ridiculous NP status gets DROPPED rather that fully implemented.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

One thing i forgot to say was the sheer number of B+Bs, hotels, and caravan parks etc etc have hit on hard times, or even gone completely due to the watersport restrictions that now apply.  That`s people losing their livelihood to keep some idiots happy that selfishly want the lake district the way THEY enjoy it, and sod everybody else.

MorningSwan. Yeah, sort of. It was your post that prompted me to ask but I’ve seen many other people post the same thing.
I’m not trying to provoke an argument (I seem to be saying this a lot recently but I’m honestly not). I just like to understand stuff.
I still don’t really understand the problem. I completely agree people should be honest but I don’t understand the harm in this case. Is the worry as SpeedTriple (biker?) says that boats get banned, skiing stopped etc? Or is there more to it than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, this has been discussed in depth and suggest that you use the search facility. 
However, in a nutshell, the fact is that the Broads is NOT legally a national park, a fact that even the delusional Broads Authority acknowledges.

Fair enough. Sorry for the post. I’ll shut up and use google in future.

Just now, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

One thing i forgot to say was the sheer number of B+Bs, hotels, and caravan parks etc etc have hit on hard times, or even gone completely due to the watersport restrictions that now apply.  That`s people losing their livelihood to keep some idiots happy that selfishly want the lake district the way THEY enjoy it, and sod everybody else.

Or have lost their moorings for their residential boats. I wasn't going to comment further but Speed's comments deserve support.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Fair enough. Sorry for the post. I’ll shut up and use google in future.

John, the search facility top right of the NBN home page is actually what I was referring to rather than Google. No need to shut up but as for this and other Broads related forum this topic is now well worn! The fact that the Broads is not a national park is in-controversial  yet that doesn't stop some people, generally the same ones. wading in in favour of the lie.

• Like 2

Does it matter ? Well yes actually it foes simply because its not true , BA have permission to use it for marketing and that's it , one would have thought a television channel would do thier research better and it fly's in the face of the last question I saw regarding this on the same programme , that being which of the following is not a national park and the correct answer was the broads , nothing has changed legally and highly likely never will , so yes it matters distortion of the truth always matter's .

1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

Does it matter ? Well yes actually it foes simply because its not true , BA have permission to use it for marketing and that's it , one would have thought a television channel would do thier research better and it fly's in the face of the last question I saw regarding this on the same programme , that being which of the following is not a national park and the correct answer was the broads , nothing has changed legally and highly likely never will , so yes it matters distortion of the truth always matter's .

Distortion or denial?

• Like 1

I did do a search but could find very little other than some people saying it shouldn’t be discussed and a few saying it isn’t an NP so it shouldn’t be called one.
If it can be called a NP in marketing how’s that different from calling it an NP in public?
What I was hoping to hear was people’s opinions on why they think it’s either a good or bad thing calling it an NP
I can understand concern over it actually becoming a NP. So is the worry over it being called a NP just that someone is trying to sneak it through?

• Like 1

John, I served for four years on the Broads Authority's Navigation Committee and petitioned against the Broads Bill in the House of Lords. I can assure you that the effectively unchallengeable  control which would be obtainable with the Sandford Principle is the ultimate goal of a sector of the Authority. 

if-you-repeat-a-lie-often-enough-it-becomes-accepted-as-truth-joseph-goebbels.jpg

• Like 1

the effectively unchallengeable  control which would be obtainable with the Sandford Principle is the ultimate goal of a sector of the Authority. 

I hadn’t come across that term before.
Assuming this is true....
http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/students/whatisanationalpark/aimsandpurposesofnationalparks/sandfordprinciple
That is scary. Fair enough for a true nature reserve but for man made waterways?
Sorry to have dredged it up again (bad pun intended) but now I know a bit more I’d say it’s worth discussing at every possible opportunity however boring it gets! There must be a lot of people like me that know nothing of what may be trying to be done and the potential consequences.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JohnK said:

I hadn’t come across that term before.
Assuming this is true....
http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/students/whatisanationalpark/aimsandpurposesofnationalparks/sandfordprinciple
That is scary. Fair enough for a true nature reserve but for man made waterways?
Sorry to have dredged it up again (bad pun intended) but now I know a bit more I’d say it’s worth discussing at every possible opportunity however boring it gets! There must be a lot of people like me that know nothing of what may be trying to be done and the potential consequences.

John, you have reached the only possible conclusion having read the above link. In any hands it is scary scenario, in the wrong hands even more so. 

• Like 2

John, you have reached the only possible conclusion having read the above link. In any hands it is scary scenario, in the wrong hands even more so. 

Couldn’t agree more.
Isn’t there a danger that if the only people talking about it are for it the perception becomes that everyone agrees?

11 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Couldn’t agree more.
Isn’t there a danger that if the only people talking about it are for it the perception becomes that everyone agrees?

Thankfully there are folk who don't agree and I'm quite certain that they won't go away.

• Like 3

I found this on Wikipedia.
Do you think that’s a reasonable description of the state of affairs?

This is the subject of ongoing controversy among some Broads users who note that the Broads is not named in law as a National Park and claim the branding detracts from the Broads Authority's third purpose which is to protect the interests of navigation. In response to this the Broads Authority has stated that its three purposes will remain in equal balance and that the branding is simply for marketing the National Park qualities of the Broads.

If the BA did make that statement do we believe them?

20 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Let's not forget that roughly half of BA's total annual income is a National Park Grant

A fact that blurs the truth.

In fact it's now less than half, not that that really matters. 

Don't lets forget that roughly half of the BA's income comes from toll payers.

Only half our toll is spent on the navigation, the other half goes to covering the shortfall caused by the recent reduction in the NP grant.