National Park? Does It Matter?

I'm not buying and I'm not selling, having been overseas for some 20+ years, I just don't understand what the issue is . What is so wrong with the broads being referred to as a national park?

Please can someone give me a 5 line answer? 

If you repeat a lie often enough people believe it. 

When people start to believe  a lie is the truth,  it becomes easier to manipulate opinion. 

When resistance is lowered a misrepresentation becomes fact.

Then they can pass legislation with less protest.

The protesters are seen as a few loonies hankering after the past and stopping progress.

Five simple lines,  five steps to overrule the majority.

This happens every day,  some mundane traditions,  some important cultural events,  they get diminished and disappear.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Line 1   It is a lie.

Line 2   It is untrue.

Line 3   It is not a democratically achieved decision.

Line 4   Repeating the lie is quite simply an underhand tactic being used with the aim of gaining Sandford and                the control that that would allow..

Line 5   See lines 1,2,3 and 4

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Line 1   It is a lie.

Line 2   It is untrue.

Line 3   It is not a democratically achieved decision.

Line 4   Repeating the lie is quite simply an underhand tactic being used with the aim of gaining Sandford and the control that that                  would allow..

Line 5   See lines 1,2,3 and 4

Thanks, am reading about "the Sandford Principle" 

I have read every post on this subject since joining the forum, rarely contribute (some of you are far too clever for me) but I will tell you that I was at my Parents who regularly watch the chase when the question came up, I immediately shouted "That is so wrong, the Broads is not a  national Park", I was quite cross at how they could get it so wrong. My Dad asked me how I knew this and went on to explain some of the knowledge I have gained on here, mostly from JM himself. The point I'm trying to make is...it may have been discussed to death on here but how valuable is the information we learn from the likes of JM? It really does make a difference and I for one am so grateful. The Broads is NOT a National Park and that's the truth (Thanks JM :default_wink:)

I believe the Chase did this before a few years ago, perhaps the researchers should read our forum lol

Grace

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Apologies to everyone who thinks we shouldn’t have had this discussion.
But I have to say as a newcomer to this without hearing the reasoning behind it arguing just that it’s a lie does sound quite out there.
It makes perfect sense to object when you find out a little more about what’s happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My wife and I went to Solihull, Redditch, Coventry & Birmingham at the weekend, numerous times we were asked where we are from. Of course we replied ' The Broads' and without exception, everyone knew just where that was and not one person mentioned national park. The Broads has been marketed and known as the Broads for generations so why change that now? To refer to it as marketing is a poor excuse in my opinion. 

Sandford is very real and It has long been one man's personal agenda and it has, almost fanatically, been driven by him. At no point has the lead on this issue come from either the people or the Authority members themselves, it has always been executive lead. That can not be right. 

• Like 1

JohnK. 

My views are well known. This conversation is repeated most months. 

The cult says BA: “failing” “intending to ban boating” “Lie” “lie” “lie” “Nazi meme” “lost moorings” “no dredging” “sandford” “4 horsemen of the apocalypse” “the rapture”

Others say: Broads complex balance between many pressure groups - conservation, boaters, etc. On whole keep balance pretty well. No chance of legislation to make Broads full NP  

Mostly Broads lovely. 

• Like 1

I would also like to mention, as I have on other threads, that the Broads are geographically different from other national parks, which can be genuinely described as being in their natural state. A place like Exmoor has looked like Macbeth's "blasted heath" for thousands of years and if left alone, it will stay that way, without interference or maintenance from any "authority".

But you can't say that about the Broads. They are man-made and so man must maintain them. As I see it, the only practical way to do this is to maintain navigation for pleasure boating and tourism, which is where the revenue comes from. Other activities such as birdwatching and cyling will not, on their own, provide enough revenue.

Those of us who are against the national park status fear that this balance of activity, and revenue, will be eroded if they are "managed" by a national park authority.

• Like 5

I would also like to mention, as I have on other threads, that the Broads are geographically different from other national parks, which can be genuinely described as being in their natural state. A place like Exmoor has looked like Macbeth's "blasted heath" for thousands of years and if left alone, it will stay that way, without interference or maintenance from any "authority".
But you can't say that about the Broads. They are man-made and so man must maintain them. As I see it, the only practical way to do this is to maintain navigation for pleasure boating and tourism, which is where the revenue comes from. Other activities such as birdwatching and cyling will not, on their own, provide enough revenue.
Those of us who are against the national park status fear that this balance of activity, and revenue, will be eroded if they are "managed" by a national park authority.

That’s really informative thank you.
It’s good to hear an option of why or why not rather than “it’s a lie” which superficially sounds petty (I’m not saying it is petty, just that unless you hear the back story it sounds petty).
I think you’ve convinced me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

which can be genuinely described as being in their natural state

To be absolutely fair much of UK's wild uplands are shaped and maintained by grazing sheep, deer and cattle; the farmers, environmentalists  and country sports aficionados are just as keen as we are to prevent their countryside reverting to the wild woodland, bramble, gorse and ferns of yesteryear.

• Like 3

The 'lie factor' is relevant, let me explain. I was at a staff and member briefing at BA H.Q. when the BA CEO, John Packman, instructed us and BA staff to call the Broads 'The National Park', explaining that that was in order that the term should gain acceptance. That was despite the fact that the Broads National Park Bill had failed in Parliament and despite the fact that DEFRA was adamant that the Broads is not an N.P. The 'Lie' clearly being used as a means of undermining the will of Parliament, that can't be right.  A case of attempting to 'gently, gently, catch the monkey'? I'm sure that it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Could I just point out...

The Broads Authority IS NOT IN RECEIPT OF A NATIONAL PARK GRANT.
It receives government funding which uses the national park financial apparatus to administer that funding to save setting up a duplicate financial tool. That is the total limit and connection that the Broads Authority has with the National Parks.

As for being a member of a cult...that gave me a chuckle this morning Bill.:default_biggrin:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Could I just point out...

The Broads Authority IS NOT IN RECEIPT OF A NATIONAL PARK GRANT.
It receives government funding which uses the national park financial apparatus to administer that funding to save setting up a duplicate financial tool. That is the total limit and connection that the Broads Authority has with the National Parks.

As for being a member of a cult...that gave me a chuckle this morning Bill.:default_biggrin:

The total limit and connection? That will be news to the National parks!

The term cult usually refers to a social group defined by its religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs, or its common interest in a particular personality, object or goal.

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 10.44.51.png