Still In Shorts

Snowy

When I worked in a motor bike shop whilst at uni we used to get a lot of 16-17 year olds coming in, never wore gloves. I’d say to them “why don’t you run down the road, then fall over and put your hands out?” They’d always reply “because it would hurt” to which I’d make the comment “if it hurts at 6mph, what do you think it will do at 30mph? Now, go and buy some gloves...”

• Like 2

I had a motorbike accident, this left me sliding down the road on one shoulder (well it was my head at one point if the scratches on the helmet were anything to go by)

I was on my way to work, I was wearing office wear - shirt, jacket, on top I was wearing a belstaff motorcycle jacket, with the reinforcing layers. on that shoulder I had a big hole through the belstaff, my work jacket had a smaller hole (about 1" round) and my shirt had a tiny hole, I was untouched, the belstaff was worn through two reinforcing layers and the cloth underneath, other than a broken little toe, and a badly torn ligament in my right leg I came through unscathed after sliding for nearly 100 yards between two lines of traffic. the impact had been right on the toe of my brand new totector boots, it had dented the steel toecap, the exhaust next to the toe of the boot had been re-routed to 1" inside the engine casing, and the front wheel was D shaped wrapped around the engine. I got an award from totectors as their boot saved my foot, and can only say that if I was riding a bike (even in the height of summer - full protective clothing was a must.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, grendel said:

I had a motorbike accident, this left me sliding down the road on one shoulder (well it was my head at one point if the scratches on the helmet were anything to go by)

I was on my way to work, I was wearing office wear - shirt, jacket, on top I was wearing a belstaff motorcycle jacket, with the reinforcing layers. on that shoulder I had a big hole through the belstaff, my work jacket had a smaller hole (about 1" round) and my shirt had a tiny hole, I was untouched, the belstaff was worn through two reinforcing layers and the cloth underneath, other than a broken little toe, and a badly torn ligament in my right leg I came through unscathed after sliding for nearly 100 yards between two lines of traffic. the impact had been right on the toe of my brand new totector boots, it had dented the steel toecap, the exhaust next to the toe of the boot had been re-routed to 1" inside the engine casing, and the front wheel was D shaped wrapped around the engine. I got an award from totectors as their boot saved my foot, and can only say that if I was riding a bike (even in the height of summer - full protective clothing was a must.

Fortunately I have never had an accident on the bike (touch wood) but have seen the state of people after some accidents.

I swear anyone who actually sees how poorly the human body and roads get on would never even think about getting on a bike without protection (:default_norty:) but then again there seems to be so many lacking in sense these days maybe I am wrong.

I've seen them laughing at work (the brain dead ones) when I put my full gear on to ride home on my Motorscooter in the summer.

What they fail to appreciate is;

A, the above posts.

B, My L plated Motorscooter is a top of the range 125  (not a 50CC moped)and quite capable of doing 70mph, so even more reason to be fully kitted out...

If you take take your CBT now, they actually advise against Steel toe caps, reckoning it will bend your toes back and break them... I ignore that, with steel toecaps you'll still have some toes to be repaired...

I stopped wear shorts when I could, so that was...

A, when I left primary school ( grey shorts were the uniform all year round)

B, when I stopped having people shouting at me round a sports field /  air field in the RAF.

My legs can however be occationally seen. Next time on Saturday, when I wear one of my kilts to the Broadland Model Railway Club Christmas Dinner..

• Like 3

The sensible ones wear full leathers what ever the weather. Then there is the Darwin factor.

I have only dropped my bike once and that was at only 10mph!!! Leg trapped under 400+lbs of bike. Leathers save my leg from serious burns off the exhaust.

I would never ride in shorts or without gloves.

So who is still in shorts now the ice and snow has arrived.

Colin:default_winko:

• Like 1

me - I went to my astronomy club meeting at the weekend wearing shorts, in my defence I was also wearing a fleece and hat.

last night after changing into my shorts I went out and changed the CVVT valve on my car (its now working and has got rid of the engine warning light on my dashboard)

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

If you take take your CBT now, they actually advise against Steel toe caps, reckoning it will bend your toes back and break them... I ignore that, with steel toecaps you'll still have some toes to be repaired..

on my accident the steel toecap took the brunt of the impact, it did inflict some damage and chipped the bone on my big toe, but even totectors when they saw the boot, said that without I would have severely injured the foot.

• Like 1