Salhouse Cafe Dispute.

JennyMorgan

As we live in the village I thought the shop and cafe was  a great asset and went in a few times before it closed suddenly, but now it looks an eyesore with it all taped off the mural if that what it’s suposed to be and also what’s not mentioned in the piece a rant in bold red letters on the shop window about these premises are to turned into an adult shop (really in Salhouse ?) 

John

• Confused 1

I've long since held that local / district councils should not have the authority to issue orders of this kind, at least without reference to a magistrate. The system is too open to abuse by a level of local authority which does not have a great record of integrity (and I am not referring to any one council) 

The fact that the complainant in this case is a parish councillor is bound to leave a slight whiff of fish in the air. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

thanks for that Paul, I did wonder if the complaining party had an inside in the parish council - it was the only thing that would make sense of the whole affair. t explains how the shop next door obtained planning permission, and the subsequent actions.

having been in the past a subject of a parish councils dissaproval, where the county chief of police was on the parish council, and parking my van outside the house in a dedicated parking spot for my house - unfortunately this was shared with the church parking. the local bobby was told in no uncertain terms to slap a ticket on my legally parked van. unfortunately the local bobby was a copper of the old school, and didnt like the smell of the orders, he came and told me, he had found an offence he could get me on - he explained to the chief constable that out of fairness he would also have to give the whole congregation who parked there tickets on the sunday during the service - the parish council then managed to find a good solution, another member of the parish council -a  farmer was persuaded to make available a space to park in one of his orchards, I even got the parking for my caravan there too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To me this stinks of the old boys club , how can a councillor say he had no idea of the other persons Intentions when they had an already established business , clearly the councillor and his wife knew there was a very similar business already trading so why open up a like for like business so close ? No way would a bank lend on that business the chance of failure is way too high .

I'm glad there's appeal going forward next yr as to me the original business has been run out of town wrongly there's no way you can convince me that a parish councillor doesn't have friend's in other councils and doesn't know about this particular order the likes of which I've not heard of before .  

This is shocking and clearly stinks of something. 

We went here in the summer. The little cafe looked uninviting and ask you me aimed at an older clientelle which is a bit dated now. The other cafe was far more welcoming and more my style. I'm sorry but I certainly won't go to the other cafe.

Very strange indeed..

• Like 1

For what reason should a council refuse an individual the chance to open and succeed in their chosen trade , yes an existing cafe was there however that does not give the original cafe the sole right to trade in that area , the days of restricted trade and monopolies have long gone and IMHO I for one are happy that they have .

if the original cafe had provided a better product and service than the newer one then they would be the one still trading 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

For what reason should a council refuse an individual the chance to open and succeed in their chosen trade , yes an existing cafe was there however that does not give the original cafe the sole right to trade in that area , the days of restricted trade and monopolies have long gone and IMHO I for one are happy that they have .

if the original cafe had provided a better product and service than the newer one then they would be the one still trading 

Dont want to appear offish but am I right to presume you have visited both cafe’s before coming to this conclusion?!

Dnks34 

not offish at all , I did sample the original cafe once , and was not that impressed , to date haven’t tried the remaining one .

although free trade etc has effected my business and not in a good way (think uber) I still welcome a free and open marketplace , I remember when many companies granted sole trader options to their chosen outlets this resulted in higher prices to consumers and less choice.

by allowing healthy competition I have found that often choice and quality has improved , this is obviously only my opinion which is worth no more or less than that of others .

• Like 2