Salhouse Cafe Dispute.

JennyMorgan

43 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

For what reason should a council refuse an individual the chance to open and succeed in their chosen trade , yes an existing cafe was there however that does not give the original cafe the sole right to trade in that area , the days of restricted trade and monopolies have long gone and IMHO I for one are happy that they have .

if the original cafe had provided a better product and service than the newer one then they would be the one still trading 

Maybe so but take that idea as a business plan to a bank and expect them to lend on the business and you would be laughed out of the building for a very good reason , I can't draw conclusions as to either business as iv visited neither , that said for a business that's run by a local councillor to end up with a little known order in his favour then that begs a question or 2 in my book , more surprising is his reluctance to comment inspite of doing so previously .

The original cafe doesn't have sole rights to trade in the area but only a fool would sink thier own savings into a identical business metres away , how could they possibly know that they wouldn't loose everything to an already established business ? And that the part to me that raises eyebrows .

I find it interesting that the claimant denied knowledge of the plans for "Radleys" when it was discussed at length at Parish Council meetings (the Parish Council previously refused permission for change of use to residential on the grounds of lost amenity to the village). The claimant was a regular attendee at these meetings even before becoming a councilor himself.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Paul said:

I find it interesting that the claimant denied knowledge of the plans for "Radleys" when it was discussed at length at Parish Council meetings (the Parish Council previously refused permission for change of use to residential on the grounds of lost amenity to the village). The claimant was a regular attendee at these meetings even before becoming a councilor himself.

That's interesting but then again no one would create an identical business without research , I'm totally convinced that's there's far more to this than currently known and in my book it stinks of abuse of power within councils .

Shame they concentrated on mostly the staring aspect of the case to me its much deeper than that , interesting though that since this when national the complainant's trip advisor ratings etc have dropped so clearly there's some backing for the accused .

A waste of time as far as the cafes are concerned, pity nobody local to Salhouse came on the programme. Radio 2 only used the story to highlight the CPN aspect, clearly short of current articles to cover. I think Jeremy Vine said there were very few people phoning in. :default_blush:

18 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Shame they concentrated on mostly the staring aspect of the case to me its much deeper than that , interesting though that since this when national the complainant's trip advisor ratings etc have dropped so clearly there's some backing for the accused .

I've always been suspicious of Trip Advisor ratings.

Now I know why

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/dulwich-shed-becomes-tripadvisors-number-one-ranked-restaurant-in-london-after-fake-reviews-a3712606.html

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Seriously the council is not prepared to spend public money on an appeal ! The apeal they don't seam to have confidence in winning , and yet they are prepared to pay what is infectivity compensation to the victim of the order using the same public money to get out of their latest disaster ! BDC tax payers must be delighted that the money's they pay is used in such a flippant fashion .

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Fully agree with Ricardo on this one. The whole saga has been absolutely ludicrous. This latest episode was reported in mainline media with excellent, in depth comment, I thought surpassing the EDP.

Yes, I read that too. Gives a much better idea of the history of this saga.

I like nothing more than reading about government or authoritative bodies ending up with egg on their face and having to make public climb downs to try and salvage their reputation.  

The fact these things even get to the press stage is ridiculous, if common sense and a lighter touch was adopted rather than the predictable gestapo approach to dealing with things in the long run Im sure it would save a lot of public money and the minute it becomes personal they loose. 

They are all to quick to get involved with persucuting the easy targets but when you actually want things doing about anti social behaviour, neighbour problems, dogs, noise etc they become to scared to deal with it. 

Brilliant is all I say, another authority made themselves look stupid. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I like nothing more than reading about government or authoritative bodies ending up with egg on their face and having to make public climb downs to try and salvage their reputation.  

The fact these things even get to the press stage is ridiculous, if common sense and a lighter touch was adopted rather than the predictable gestapo approach to dealing with things in the long run Im sure it would save a lot of public money and the minute it becomes personal they loose. 

They are all to quick to get involved with persucuting the easy targets but when you actually want things doing about anti social behaviour, neighbour problems, dogs, noise etc they become to scared to deal with it. 

Brilliant is all I say, another authority made themselves look stupid. 

I agree a more common sense approach is required but the only people who pay for things like are basically the tax payers in the affected area most of who I imagine a extremely annoyed that they eventually fund stupid decisions by those who should know better .