Fishing Rights Question

Malc

Hi Malc

Depends on what you mean by a mooring, if you are referring to land bordering the water then you own the rights to fish from the land but not from the water, ie anyone in a boat can fish there as long as they are not on or moored to your land, in most instances on tidal water the river bed is owned by the crown apart from a few exceptions near Norwich  and nobody owns the water, hope this helps.

Fred

• Like 2

Malc, as someone in a similar position, lucky sods that we are, Fred is right but there is more, as you might expect. Really you need to check your deeds. Some properties, for various reasons include land under the water, some don't though. It's largely a Broads thing but don't let that cloud the issue. My deeds include a 190 feet out into my local Broad. I can, if I wish, refuse people from mudweighting, or fishing when their tackle lays on the bottom, not that I would do either. I can't prevent folk from sailing or fishing OVER my land, I can object if they anchor their boat or tackle to the bottom. Ownership of a river's bed can be the Crown, some places near Norwich and Oulton Broad, for example, it belong to the Church. Some Broads belong to the local gentry or to the local authority. In practical terms I would just go fishing and not worry about it. In times gone by some landowners sold fishing and gaming rights separately from the land, upper Wensum for example, but that would show on your deeds and is a very rare occurrence on the Broads. Owning the fishing rights does not mean that you don't need a licence though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Thanks for the replies, this is very helpful. I am not talking about the broads I'm talking about 'The Great Ouse', don't know if that makes any difference.

Thanks again.

Are you talking the River Gt Ouse proper or a man made tributary, channel or adjoining canal? I say that because many properties up there are actually separated from the water by a public tow-path and the fishing rights might be owned by a fishing club or federation. On the river proper that is less than likely but your deeds should make that clear. However if your property goes to the waters edge, without a tow path, then I suspect that you will own the fishing right. 

37 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Are you talking the River Gt Ouse proper or a man made tributary, channel or adjoining canal? I say that because many properties up there are actually separated from the water by a public tow-path and the fishing rights might be owned by a fishing club or federation. On the river proper that is less than likely but your deeds should make that clear. However if your property goes to the waters edge, without a tow path, then I suspect that you will own the fishing right. 

Yes its Great Ouse proper and no tow path.

Thanks again everybody. Such a great forum.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, L8DAVE said:
  • Mark , close season rules apply wherever you intend to fish from :439_fishing_pole_and_fish:

Not on certain lakes. 

And I think there are some old canal type waters down in Kent that are private and don't have a close season as they aren't classed as proper waterways anymore. 

18 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

Not on certain lakes. 

And I think there are some old canal type waters down in Kent that are private and don't have a close season as they aren't classed as proper waterways anymore. 

Mark , what I meant was " Rules still apply " with still and enclosed waters having their own ,......

• Thanks 1