The Peer Review Of The BA

JennyMorgan

Sorry, but I got as far as no 2 - recommendations, and realised that this was just American gobbledygook that actually says nothing.

About the only one I agreed with was "learn from others". 

What is "navigating the local government landscape"? And what is a sub regional platform? Was that when they put that sign up on Beccles railway station?

I just wonder how much this review has cost?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Sorry, but I got as far as no 2 - recommendations, and realised that this was just American gobbledygook that actually says nothing.

About the only one I agreed with was "learn from others". 

What is "navigating the local government landscape"? And what is a sub regional platform? Was that when they put that sign up on Beccles railway station?

I just wonder how much this review has cost?

I read it and it took me back to when we used be ISO9001 registered, load of box ticking and way with words that looked good to the inspectors but said nothing of merit.

Basically just another job for the boys.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

I have read and re-read the report. Totally sterile really, could we expect it to be otherwise? As far as it goes it is quite fair but does it really go as far as it might, does it probe into hidden corners or discuss the obvious concerns regarding policies and visions, or more importantly the glaring exclusion of alternative points of view? I suspect that JP will take comfort from the antiseptic pleasantries that have been bandied about, however,  I honestly don't see any really meaningful high praise.  The report is not the product of an impartial and independent body, it's almost, but possibly not quite 'in house'.  At best it's lacking in any real substance, in my opinion of course.

My joking apart, but peer reviews are not always just a 'paper' exercise. A bit like a swan, they seem all gloss, sheen and magazine quality gumpf on the surface. Underneath there's a couple of webbed and clawed flappers liable to take chunks out of you. Along with the published peer review goes an internal one and/or a verbal one. That will not have been so slick or rosey. My former office and most government departments used the peer review to jump up and down on departments and department heads when it was not politic to begin formal procedures. A peer review was often a fair warning that a 'formal' footing was being contemplated and it was time for some 'housework'. Expect to see quite a bit of humble pie between now and spring, a lot of mention of stakeholders, pseudo consultations and a new 'vision', similar to the old vision, with different words...until the next calamity.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

In George Orwell's book, 1984, there is a language called "Nu-Speak", it seems that in recent years a form of Nu-Speak has been adopted by a great many organisations. This form of language is common and has been imported from (mainly American) management gurus, and now permeates the English language like a plague. This particular document is written in an ambiguous language which is open to a variety of interpretations. It leaves me asking the question: what exactly is this document saying? For example: who are the "stakeholders"? I would certainly suggest that toll payers can be regarded as stakeholders, yet there is no mention of those of us who pay our tolls. A look at the membership of the group who wrote the report gives no indication that there was any input from anyone who has a boat on the Broads. 

Any report about the Broads should, in my humble opinion, include input from boat owners and local businesses. This document lacks both clarity and credibility, and shows that the BA are failing to engage with  stakeholders at any level. In order for a report to have credibility the views of toll payers must be considered. I would suggest that the BA commission an independent report by a committee made up representatives of  everyone who has a stake in the Broads. Once again resources have been spent on a meaningless activity. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, marshman said:

You must see stuff between the lines then, that I cannot see!! So I doubt any wrist slapping will occur!!

Few people have a positive thing to say, be they broadland businesses or humble boat owners.

He wont be getting any more of our money to spend frivolously thats for certain.

He may well know his turnips when it comes to the environmental matters but it appears that being in possesion of a Doctorate doesnt automatically make you good at knowing how to work within a budget.

His approach to toll payers is one of a number of other smaller issues that for us are increasingly taking the shine off any enjoyment we get from our boat. Except for the odd sunny day over the season our boat has become an inconvenience we are using less and less. I think it might well be going to brokerage before the next  toll becomes due.

14 hours ago, dnks34 said:

He may well know his turnips when it comes to the environmental matters but it appears that being in possesion of a Doctorate doesnt automatically make you good at knowing how to work within a budget.

His approach to toll payers is one of a number of other smaller issues that for us are increasingly taking the shine off any enjoyment we get from our boat. Except for the odd sunny day over the season our boat has become an inconvenience we are using less and less. I think it might well be going to brokerage before the next  toll becomes due.

I still think that our tolls are good value for money. The main gripe for me is the lack of moorings now. Having said that, we are lucky enough to be able to pick and choose when we go out and that makes a world of difference to being tied to weekends and suchlike. As we spend 15-20 weeks each year on the Broads, it would take a lot to spoil our enjoyment. My understanding of what goes on in the BA offices comes from the minutes of BA meetings, be they Nav Comm, Planning or whatever. Add that to the information/speculation etc that appears on the Broads’ forums and it is a case of making your own mind up! I think that if something really untoward happened, the boating community would stand together and not just roll over and submit. I hope so anyway.

• Like 2

I dont think I was trying to make any point other than the rising cost of boating is making us ask ourselves is it worth it ?  Based on how much we used it this year the overall decision for us is it isnt!

With Dr Packman at the helm who as far as I can tell has a job for life the Toll is only going to continue to get more expensive.  I would rather now spend my time on other activities not at the mercy of a moneygrabbing executive each time taking more from the little people to pay for his own shortcomings.  

I no longer see the Toll as good value and I also dont see a mass rally of boat owners if he decided upon anything drastic and lets face it who could and would stop him. 

After the significant raise in Tolls at the beginning of this year to then hear there will even be an inflation increase in 2018 is bare faced cheek coupled with insulting greed.  The guy just doesnt know how to quit while hes ahead! If he had any real sense he would have given the boating community a break and spent some time trying to earn some respect and reinstill a little confidence!

• Like 1

If the BA dropped the tolls wouldn’t the result of that be more boats?
Compounding the problem further they’d then have less money to spend on moorings wouldn’t they?
Maybe I’m adding two and two and coming up with five but I wouldn’t like see more boats unless the infrastructure supports it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, marshman said:

Not putting them up at the moment would reduce their income by 3% because of inflation. Not a lot I grant you but probably enough to pay 2 1/2  Rangers!!! Or thereabouts!!!

2 1/2 rangers must be the new phrase for tree cutting equipment cos that's what its due to be spent on along with electronic speed signs so the broads look more like the M25 :44_frowning2:

59 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Where are they going to put electronic speed signs? 

I cant see that as a justifiable spend no matter what way they dress it up!

Thing is with signs they are purely information nothing else , as with road signs they are ignored , hence a waste of money , same with the hydraulic tree cutters they need an excavator to be mounted on and said excavator needs to be able to access the areas where the trees need cutting and that's absolutely impossible in some cases , on top of that they are designed for far bigger trees than BA currently cut down , its high time BA started to look how others manage tree cutting in other country before spending silly money on frivolity , true large scale forest management requires big kit but this is Norfolk and the amount of trees and size of the trees really don't require that level of equipment and I'll guarantee that one of my local rangers who is regularly found cutting trees totally agrees with me on this and I doubt he or anyone else at the sharp end has even been consulted much like toll payers aren't .