A Winters Tale

Friday 15th December

The ideal plan would have been for the family to all have been heading off to the boat today, kids finishing school and work a thing of the past for the next week or two.

Sadly life never seems to allow for the most ideal plans so as it was I had to go into work for a final 11 hour day shift due to lack of staffing and people with response driving qualifications despite having saved my leave up till the end of the year, the OH was at home between night shifts and the kids at school not breaking up until next Tuesday.

These things which don't work out do however allow for new plans, and so it was that I had the opportunity to head off to the boat alone (well with the dog) with the remains of the family heading up by train on Tuesday once school finishes.

I shall spare the details of the final Friday at work, but needless to say it was long it seemed never-ending and I swear the clock kept going backwards at various points throughout the day. Nevertheless 7pm finally rolled around and I was able to set off for Brundall.

The inevitability of the A47 being closed couldn't dampen my eagerness to arrive at the Bayard and when I did arrive I stepped out of the car just in time to unload as a downpour of rain hit. 

Soaking through and fumbling around in the dark I unloaded the car and loaded the boat, unpacked, made beds, you know the usual stuff, took the dog for a walk and finally at around 1a.m. got time for the first beer of the holiday :default_beerchug:

Cor I went on a bit there didn't I :default_biggrin:

(more to follow (sorry) with pics but please bear in mind I am alone so they they are 'action' shots) :default_biggrin:

Saturday 16th December 

After the usual necessities I set off from Brundall without a particular destination in mind although knew I would be staying at Somerlayton more than likely.

Despite being icy it was a gorgeous morning on the broads.

Imagine a beautiful August day but with the heating turned off.

20171216_100229.jpg

20171216_101951.jpg

20171216_102512.jpg

20171216_103034.jpg

20171216_103128_001.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Unfortunately not. We could have but everyone is congregating at my house for me to cook dinner :default_biggrin:

Having said that I won't complain its not unusual for us to have Christmas a few days late due to work shifts :default_biggrin:

5 minutes ago, SwanR said:

More beautiful photos. What amazing blue skies you get at this time of year. 

They really are lovely

So along the Yare I go.

Number of boats seen between Brundall and Cantley - 0

It was around this point a fellow helmsperson would have been handy, for reasons I'm sure you can imagine. My volunteer helmswoman however had some flimsy excuse lined up so I had to soldier on...

20171216_110817.jpg

20171216_112419.jpg

Reedham to Somerlayton number of boats - 2 :default_ohmy:

It's like the bloody motorway down the new cut :default_biggrin:

I apologise for the numerous posts too people but my internet isn't great so I'm trying to do little often rather than one big one :default_norty:

20171216_120532.jpg

20171216_124834.jpg

20171216_132944.jpg

Once moored up at a Somerlayton me and the beast went for a walk from the moorings to the Herringfleet moorings along the riverside footpath and back and then around the footpaths around Somerlayton. After which it has been refreshments on-board whilst uploading pictures with rubbish internet... :default_dry:

BTW there is a dog in the first 2 pictures if you can spot her :default_biggrin:

20171216_135928.jpg

20171216_135937.jpg

20171216_140743.jpg

5 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Beautiful photos. We were on our boat this morning and the blue sky was particularly stunning 

Which boat were you on and where Lulu? Maybe I saw you, I can remember most that have passed me today :default_biggrin:

We didnt leave the mooring Jay. We were checking that the heater in the engine compartment has been working and the dehumidifier had been running. We are a bit twitchy being first time boat owners and ice and stuff! Im sure we will be old hands at this by next winter and less paranoid! 

3 minutes ago, Lulu said:

We didnt leave the mooring Jay. We were checking that the heater in the engine compartment has been working and the dehumidifier had been running. We are a bit twitchy being first time boat owners and ice and stuff! Im sure we will be old hands at this by next winter and less paranoid! 

Ah no worries Lulu. Enjoy your boat, look forward to seeing you around the rivers next year :default_beerchug:

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Loving this Jay, the photos are stunning thank you. I know you have no crew at the moment but you could always take a selfie :default_norty: Seriously though, stay safe and warm my lovely friend

Grace :default_icon_kiss:(the helmswoman that let you down due to a little sniffle :default_norty:)

Out of respect to my fellow forum members I don't think a selfie of my ugly mug is a good idea :default_biggrin:

Sorry guys, I have had a great day today but unfortunately I know this is going to be a boring day of my 'blog' for you as you will see but nevertheless.....

Sunday 17th December 

A cold and frosty morning (although I had no plans to go around the mulberry bush) greeted me this morning. The ground and boats decks were iced over but thanks to the 50 odd pence left on the electric post when I moored up yesterday I was toasty laid under the quilt in bed with a snoring bitch at my feet.

After the usual ablutions I took the dog out for a lovely winters morning walk, the white frosted landscape and the cold air hitting your lungs reminding me of why winter morning runs are the best of the year.....unfortunately due to rushing my packing because of work I had forgot mine :default_sad:

Rubbish disposed of and a cup of coffee whilst catching up on forum posts sorted I headed off at around 9.45. The temperature was apparently -3° even colder than when I woke but nevertheless, head out of the helms window and off we go.

20171217_075311.jpg

20171217_091226.jpg

I was setting off well past low water and although the 7 foot something clearance under somerlayton bridge was ok if I dropped the roof I didn't want to faff about putting the roof back up if it ended up  raining or I was turning I to a snowman so I headed back up the Waveney where I had come from yesterday. (Bear with me but the term going round in circles has crossed my mind numerous times today).

Unable to fit under St Olaves at this time here is the Haddiscoe New Cut again minus any boats (sorry)

20171217_095740.jpg

20171217_100333.jpg

20171217_100757.jpg

20171217_101347.jpg

20171217_101356.jpg

20171217_101359.jpg

Warming to a humid -1° I decided to turn right at Reedham knowing I had to be heading back up the Yare later in the week to collect the clan.

You are forgiven if you fall asleep along this stretch of river, it's a personal opinion, but despite anything I say to the contrary I love it all....

20171217_103656.jpg

20171217_104318.jpg

20171217_104551.jpg

20171217_104619.jpg