Fridge Advice

Looking to buy a fridge to fill the empty hole where an old gas one was removed some time in the past,,currently using a cool box but its power hungry, not sure what to go for, boat spends a lot of the time at a marina 240v hook up is available but at the moment I dont have 240v on the boat, that is on the list of winter jobs to do , it doesn't have an invertor at the moment but could fit one if needed, options are a 12v compressor fridge at a huge expense or a 240v one run off an invertor, maximum cruising at the moment is two or three days away so unsure which option to go for??

12V compressor fridge would be the way to go imo.
Fitted one in a motorhome several years ago and wouldn't fit anything else now.
Need to fit a new one in my boat as soon as I get it ordered, Have always liked the Vitrifrigo fridges but they are dearer than others out there but very energy efficient.
The Webasto cruise range look quite decent on paper.

Thanks was thinking a 12v one would be preferable, just a bit put off by the price of them, guess a bit more overtime is needed, also need a cooker as the old Flavel Vanessa has failed the bss test and the only one I can find that fits the space is £490 

Some more overtime for that as well! I got a Spinflo four burner with oven and grill which fitted, just in a space previously occupied by the flavel! Smev also do some that have a reasonable reputation. Its the old old story, put the word "boat" anywhere near this stuff and the prices goes into the stratosphere!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Some more overtime for that as well! I got a Spinflo four burner with oven and grill which fitted, just in a space previously occupied by the flavel! Smev also do some that have a reasonable reputation. Its the old old story, put the word "boat" anywhere near this stuff and the prices goes into the stratosphere!

That was one I looked at, in a way I don't mind spending on a cooker, the flavel doesnt have flame failure so glad its going for a more safer up to date model, a fridge is just to keep the wife's wine cold so the £600 price tag is a bit more than I expected

1 minute ago, MauriceMynah said:

One can save even more space by hanging the wife over the side in a net.

Wonder if the Wench will let me try out your theory MM ??????????????????????? :default_hiding:

Mind will tell her before I try it that it was your idea of course, think that might keep me safe.

Charlie:default_gbxhmm:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jocave said:

That was one I looked at, in a way I don't mind spending on a cooker, the flavel doesnt have flame failure so glad its going for a more safer up to date model, a fridge is just to keep the wife's wine cold so the £600 price tag is a bit more than I expected

Get her to drink red. Problem solved!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You do not need any special boat cooker - see this so many times but any cooker will do as long as it has FFD's fitted and the correct burners. Trouble is getting the burners - most say they are available but try getting them even from the manufacturers!!!

Its all a con - why is a similar cooker from a so called boat manufacturer more than 2/3 times the price of one you might buy for a flat. They will tell you that they have 240V ignition pus oven lights etc etc but who needs those when you can buy matches???

One of my favourite pet hate topics......!   Grrrrrrr!

• Like 1

A domestic fridge will work perfectly well off an inverter providing you have the right battery capacity.

On my narrowboat I fitted a domestic fridge powered via a 2kw inverter ( needs to be min 1.5 - 2kw for the start up load ) from 3 x 110 ah batteries, it worked fine. My alternator was a 55amp one that put plenty of power back into the batteries.

Ok on GK the fridge is a 24v isotherm one ( yes 24v, a barnes brinkcraft innovation ) and it also works fine. However last summer I fitted a domestic freezer and that is driven off my inverter, from my 12v system,  with no problems but I do have a 100w solar panel feeding the domestic 12v batteries. It all works very well.

Completely agree with Marshman about the boat thing and it is very annoying indeed when there are other ways and means.

Try this link, they are magnum motorhomes here in grimsby and are generally quite competetive  :

http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk 

its all about personal choice and what ameneties your boat is capable of providing.

cheers

trev

We run a 460 amp hr battery bank, 100 watt solar panel, 100 amp alternator, 2.5kw inverter and a 240v domestic fridge, works beautifully.

I already had the alternator fitted and with some careful shopping the new batteries fridge and inverter came to less than the cost of a waeco of half the capacity! 

Looking at the motorhome website illustrates the point precisely - Spinflo Caprice around £600 yet go on many other sites and lots of choice from around £190, admittedly you need a conversion kit, but these should not be that expensive IF you can get them!!

Even Calor do one at £250 or so already converted but they spoil it by asking £42 for delivery!!!! They must be having a larf - do they sell ANY at that delivery charge when Amazon do a similar cooker at around that price with free delivery?

Look hard on the net and you will find some 50cm by 50 cm.

I have to say without a shadow of doubt that my Spinflo Caprice now retailing at nearly £600, is of the poorest quality and almost totally devoid of any redeeming features, and that includes their customer service. Even a few years ago it was so thin, the oven hardly retained any heat and takes at least 20/25 minutes to get really hot, the thin insulation is stuck on with adhesive tape and the oven thermostat at least 2 Gas Marks out temperature wise - the ignition piezo lasted 3 years and the  replacement part was a ridiculous price with a box of matches far far cheaper!! So I wonder why it is 3x the price of an ordinary gas cooker? I know  - BOAT. Boat Owner Add a Thousand!!

2 hours ago, Wildfuzz said:

What about three way fridges as used for camping etc, we have one for Florence the folding camper and it is the business, less than £200, runs on gas 240 or 12v depending on availability.

I have one of those in my camper van but the problem is that they are not a room sealed unit for the gas, so they would not pass the BSS.

You can get room sealed Electrolux units but they are not a practical option any more. Too expensive.