To Anti Foul Or Not To Anti Foul, That Is The Question

What do people tend to do with GRP boats that are in the Broads all year round?

I guess the other stupid newbie question I should ask is do GRP boats need to be treated differently to wood?

We’re talking 15’ day boat with outboard.

I do get my ski boat anti fouled that sits at Goodchilds but that’s more about not loosing performance. Not sure what to do with the day boat (or what’s been done to it in the past)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on how often you take it out of the water, with something as small as 15 ft, if you just use a trailer and not  a crane, I'd take it out every six months, give it a hose down and brush off and put it back in.

The outboard should be ok if you tilt/ lift it output the water when not in use.

Thanks folks.
I will tilt the outboard out of the water.
It looks like the anodes need replacing but otherwise I think it’s ok (although to be fair I haven’t run it yet).
I don’t have a trailer for it.
As I see it I have three options.....
1. Do nothing
2. Get a hull brush (or whatever they’re called) and do my best to manually clean it. I do have 270 degree access when it’s moored.
3. Pay someone to get it out and anti foul it.

It also depends on how you are using your boat. If she is lying on a mooring for long periods without moving, then you need a "soft" antifouling and not a "hard racing" one. Have a look what it says on the tin.

By the way, don't just antifoul as a protection against osmosis, because it isn't!

It also depends on how you are using your boat. If she is lying on a mooring for long periods without moving, then you need a "soft" antifouling and not a "hard racing" one. Have a look what it says on the tin.
By the way, don't just antifoul as a protection against osmosis, because it isn't!

I didn’t know that. I assumed different types suited different water rather than different uses.

If I do nothing how bad will it get?

Depends where you are I guess. The zebra mussels can be a pain and will ruin your outboard, hence tilting it out of the water, but they should come off the hull ok if you don't anti foul just yet. It's any nooks and crannies they can live in that will set up a challenge for removal.

1 hour ago, JohnK said:

I assumed different types suited different water rather than different uses.

It depends if the boat is moving or not. A hard antifouling will release its poison more slowly, when a boat is constantly in motion, but a boat moored up for long periods needs a soft paint which will release more easily. Unfortunately this also means that it needs re-painting more often.

Hire boats are on the move all the time in the season and I, like many others, don't bother to antifoul them at all. If they grow a little bit of green then they go a bit slower, which is all to the good! It just takes 5 minutes with a pressure washer when you haul them out in the winter. We can also tell local fishing associations that we are not using antifouling, so it is a "green" advantage.