Well Done BA On These Two Prosecutions

Meantime

The problem being that when small shops close down people moan. These well a lot of the shops were there long before morrisons, tesco's etc. These small shops as well as pubs will close if not used.

An old Jewish man in the early 70's said to me in my shop I managed at the time, that before he had been dead long, that all shops would be supermarkets in the near future, all small shops will die. He wasnt far off.   We use local butchers and bakers, but sadly we evebn have to venture into supermarkerts these days.

I love the little old shops on the broads and the pubs.

USE ALL LOCAL SHOPS AND PUBS OR LOOSE THEM.

• Like 5

Three strikes and you'll be off the water, good in theory, but we all have a right to navigate on a tidal water, as are most of the Broads. Be careful what you wish for, selective rights to navigate, inflicted by an unelected quango, no way!  Better to cut their unmentionables off.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I don’t disagree with you but, until that area started being developed, there were signs there indicating 2 hour mooring availability. It was never clear who had actually put the sign there but it was generally accepted. I guess the sign was removed when they started building. It would be far better if it either became a recognised short stay mooring or no mooring signs were put up. Not everyone wants to go to Norwich YS, it would be quite a walk back from Morrison’s with shopping bags. There are food shops reasonably close to the YS but not with the choice of M’s and there is also a variety of other shops at Riverside too. Personally I love mooring at the YS and going into the city but I also appreciate being able to do a big shop without actually visiting the city. 

Too right why would anyone go to the YS and pay £6 for not very long and having to carry everything much further , it was the council that out the signs up and they stated 2 hr  Max , no overnight mooring and a £60 fixed penalty fine , I actually got reported by someone in the flats opposite and a policeman turned up , he wasn't particularly interested in any of it and was highly hacked of he'd had to walk out of the city to the mooring , told me the easy way , that being just turn the boat around n then its sorted you have moved , as far as I know it was scrapped due to not being enforceable and currently there are no signs there and no no mooring signs either , that said iv seen boats in the past moored there for significant lenghts of time and no one onboard .

As it is its extremely handy for shopping and hopefully if its not abused and such like will remain so .

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

The problem being that when small shops close down people moan. These well a lot of the shops were there long before morrisons, tesco's etc. These small shops as well as pubs will close if not used.

An old Jewish man in the early 70's said to me in my shop I managed at the time, that before he had been dead long, that all shops would be supermarkets in the near future, all small shops will die. He wasnt far off.   We use local butchers and bakers, but sadly we evebn have to venture into supermarkerts these days.

I love the little old shops on the broads and the pubs.

USE ALL LOCAL SHOPS AND PUBS OR LOOSE THEM.

Once again, no arguments there. Problem is most of the small shops that used to be handy for boaters HAVE closed. There are some really good local butchers but for river users they are few and far between with little in the way of available moorings - think Stalham, Wroxham and Horning. There are a lot of folk who live aboard in the Thorpe area and probably are grateful to have access to a supermarket (as Islander has pointed out) and also access to cheaper goods than the small shops provide. Horses for courses as the saying goes. 

Who remembers the tiny shops at Broom’s Brundall and Bondon’s South Walsham? The post offices and shops at Barton Turf and Somerleyton. Lots more too, no doubt someone will remind us of a few. 

The stores opposite The Bell St Olaves,

The stores in Hickling a few hundred metres along from The Greyhound,

I think The Pleasure boat had a shop in the out buildings in the car park for a while,

The shop on the front at The WRC.

Not sure if it's still there, but there used to be a fruit and veg shed in Geldeston village.

6 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Who remembers the tiny shops at Broom’s Brundall and Bondon’s South Walsham? The post offices and shops at Barton Turf and Somerleyton. Lots more too, no doubt someone will remind us of a few. 

I do ............................. but if people keep choosing supermarkets soon all the amenities will gone, then what will you do once the the mighty supermarkets decide right no competition to us now we will close this one down,. They will come to xyz as they have no where else to get their provisions from. 

Obviously you dont come from a small village that every thing is shut own in

Can't say much about moorings in Norwich, but there are several buses which stop outside Thorpe station by Foundry Bridge, call at Thorpe Green and Whitlingham Lane (for the Commissioners' Cut) and then go direct to Sainsburys on Pound Lane, where they stop inside the Supermarket car park.

A pleasant ride of only 10 minutes and you can always break the journey at Rosary Corner and have lunch in the Coach and Horses!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Can't say much about moorings in Norwich, but there are several buses which stop outside Thorpe station by Foundry Bridge, call at Thorpe Green and Whitlingham Lane (for the Commissioners' Cut) and then go direct to Sainsburys on Pound Lane, where they stop inside the Supermarket car park.

A pleasant ride of only 10 minutes and you can always break the journey at Rosary Corner and have lunch in the Coach and Horses!

Isn't Foundry Bridge by The Compleat Angler? If so isn't that Norwich station? Looking at Google maps, it lists it as Norwich station, but actually I can see Thorpe Hamlet is actually quite close? Is this another Roys is actually in Hoveton scenario? Confused!!!

If not there is a bus which goes the other way, with a stop on Riverside Rd right alongside the Yacht Station and goes up Kett's Hill to the Plumstead Rd shopping centre where there are little local shops of all descriptions, as well as an Aldi, a bank and a pint in the Heartsease!

7 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Isn't Foundry Bridge by The Compleat Angler? If so isn't that Norwich station? Looking at Google maps, it lists it as Norwich station, but actually I can see Thorpe Hamlet is actually quite close? Is this another Roys is actually in Hoveton scenario? Confused!!!

It is by the Compleat Angler but that is a new name - can't remember the old one. The main station in Norwich (GER) has always been called Thorpe Station (except perhaps by Google). The others were the City Station, for the M&GN from Kings Lynn, which is more or less where Halfords is, on Heigham St, and Victoria Station, which was a goods station, now a big supermarket at the bottom of Queens Rd.

Thorpe Hamlet is on the western outskirts of Norwich, near Taverham. Nothing to do with Thorpe St Andrew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

I do ............................. but if people keep choosing supermarkets soon all the amenities will gone, then what will you do once the the mighty supermarkets decide right no competition to us now we will close this one down,. They will come to xyz as they have no where else to get their provisions from. 

Actually I do! And I really don’t understand why you should make that comment. Maybe I haven’t explained myself very well, tell me which part of my posts you haven’t understood and I will try and elaborate.

It is by the Compleat Angler but that is a new name - can't remember the old one. The main station in Norwich (GER) has always been called Thorpe Station (except perhaps by Google). The others were the City Station, for the M&GN from Kings Lynn, which is more or less where Halfords is, on Heigham St, and Victoria Station, which was a goods station, now a big supermarket at the bottom of Queens Rd.

Thanks, your comments led me back to Google maps and in searching for Halfords I found something marked up as the train statue. A little further research and this is on The Marriott's Way Trail which appears to be a trail that follows the path of the old railway. You learn something new every day. :default_beerchug:

http://www.marriottsway.info/

• Like 2

t is by the Compleat Angler but that is a new name - can't remember the old one.

Norfolk Railway House. It became the Compleat Angler in the early 70's I believe. 

And yes, Vaughan is right about the station. It was known as Thorpe when there were more stations but now just Norwich. 

I see we are drifting nicely again!! :default_norty:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

A little further research and this is on The Marriott's Way Trail which appears to be a trail that follows the path of the old railway. You learn something new every day.

Yes, we are drifting a bit, but it is worth mentioning that the Midland and Great Northern railway was the one that brought all the holidaymakers from the Midlands and effectively made the Broads into the tourist place that we know today. A little research will show you that all of the main centres of Broads boating - except Horning - are right beside an old railway station.

• Like 2

Drifting slightly further, the train statue is listed as a Historical Landmark on Google maps. Clicking on Historical Landmarks shows about 20 or so in the centre of Norwich, including the Norwich Breweries War Memorial located at Normans buildings, Polypin yard footpath, Norwich NR1 1RB.

Can see a fair bit of new sight seeing when next in Norwich.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Norwich+Breweries+War+Memorial/@52.6264914,1.287667,14z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sHistorical+landmark!3m4!1s0x0:0x69c1d97549876e92!8m2!3d52.6260559!4d1.299423

• Like 1

Maybe if the 2 people the subject of the thread ie the speeders had done a little drifting ( n no I don't mean speeding round corners sideways !  ) then there would have been no thread :default_coat:

18 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Oooohhhhh, just wait til next month when I'm skippering Independence across Breydon. North to South, semi displacement, 23:5 x tons throttles down 22kts.  Bring it on! :default_icon_twisted:

Make sure the camera's are on Robin when you open it up?

Have a good trip guys and hope the weathers good for you.

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Thorpe Hamlet is on the western outskirts of Norwich, near Taverham. Nothing to do with Thorpe St Andrew.

My wifes cousin (Norwich born and bred) used to own and run The Old Gatehouse tea room on the old M and GN line at Gunthorpe.  A small signal box was still there in 2014 when we last visited.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Siddy said:

Make sure the camera's are on Robin when you open it up?

Have a good trip guys and hope the weathers good for you.

Personally speed across braydon doesn't impress me at all nor does the tonnage , what I do care about is others that may well be on what is an estuary are going to receive the duty of care that is required , that sadly was missing from the original post , it just came over as if it was " and watch this ,  this is fast " and surely the boat has been given its head at sea so why bother ? . obviously IMHO nothing else .

2 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

Wasn't there a small shop at the end of the trail at the Fairy Garden  close to Womack Water ?

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

Personally speed across braydon doesn't impress me at all nor does the tonnage

The message here was that LR get everything on film but this is his new toy and the joke is that his mate is at the wheel giving it large. Do you think it will happen and put others at risk? The guy that got caught is from a few miles from me up here & giving us a bad name.

Anyway I must be doing it wrong on Barton Broad I always do a 360 donut on there on the way back to Stalham & even been known to circle the island, there no stop in me.

11 minutes ago, Siddy said:

The message here was that LR get everything on film but this is his new toy and the joke is that his mate is at the wheel giving it large. Do you think it will happen and put others at risk? The guy that got caught is from a few miles from me up here & giving us a bad name.

Anyway I must be doing it wrong on Barton Broad I always do a 360 donut on there on the way back to Stalham & even been known to circle the island, there no stop in me.

No I don't think it will happen , but I merely reacted to a post that appeared to at least be more about how fast one can go across braydon , me I'd be thinking hell we consumed all that diesel at sea time to calm things down a bit after all who's gonna see it live , the guy caught can't be too far away from where I used to live really considered I'm too from west Yorkshire :12_slight_smile:, my point re braydon was simple ie wats the point :default_beerchug: