Overtaking

JohnK

I just wish I could find the On / Off switch that controls the cloaking device on my Triumph Tiger, then I could permanently disable the blasted thing

Most days it is turned off, but some days for no sensible reason whatsoever it turns itsen on and makes both me and the Tiger invisible to other road users including pedestrians

Griff

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, BroadAmbition said:

I just wish I could find the On / Off switch that controls the cloaking device on my Triumph Tiger, then I could permanently disable the blasted thing

Most days it is turned off, but some days for no sensible reason whatsoever it turns itsen on and makes both me and the Tiger invisible to other road users including pedestrians

Griff

shorten the exhausts

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Fred, take another look, an awful lot of private boats, especially imports, have their steering wheels on the 'wrong' side. On the rare occasion that I have gone to the Boat Show I may have gleefully inspected a gleaming mass of gel-coat and well buffed stainless, watched the salesman grouping for his order book, and commission slip, and then walked away with the comment, the wheel is on the wrong side, his face suitably falling as he thinks 'there goes another pedantic twit who can't afford my superb offering!  

I did say most and  Broads Boats, most cars are right hand drive but not all are especially imports.

Fred 

Broads regulation 15.

"(1) Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in these Byelaws the master of a vessel overtaking another vessel shall keep his vessel out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.
(2) A vessel shall be overtaking when coming up with another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft deemed toits beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel it is overtaking that at night the master would be able to see only the sternlight of the vessel but neither of its sidelights.
(3) When a master is in any doubt as to whether his vessel is overtaking another he shall assume that this is the case and act accordingly.
(4) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel for the purposes of Byelaw 16 or relieve the master of the overtaking vessel of his duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until his vessel is finally past and clear."

Now if YOU are being overtaken by a vessel between you and the bank on the starboard Side,  YOU are not keeping to the right hand bank..

However Broads reg 13 doesn't say that,  it says

"The master of a power-driven or manually propelled vessel proceeding along a channel shall when it is safe and practicable to do so keep to the side of mid channel which lies on the starboard or right hand side of the vessel"

Which  sort of implies you can wander around the middle of the river as long as you are just to the correct side of the centre line, which means the only way to overtake would be on  the Bank Side.... or If YOU don't like being overtaken on the right hand side, stick to the bank...

One of the problems with Bathtubs, is unless you have additional crew or mirrors or cameras, you cannot as required be keeping an good look out. As you cannot see out of over half of the boat.... one of the reasons I bought a centre cockpit boat.

Broads regulation 8.

The master of a vessel shall keep or cause to be kept a proper look-out by sight and hearing and shall observe any precaution which may be required by the ordinary practice of watermen in the navigation area or by the special circumstances of the case.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The master of a vessel shall keep or cause to be kept a proper look-out by sight and hearing and shall observe any precaution which may be required by the ordinary practice of watermen in the navigation area or by the special circumstances of the case.

In my earlier example of being "under-taken" on the Thurne at Thurne Dyke, I was driving a 44ft bath tub and I was keeping a good look out. That is why the accident was avoided - by me!

I

12 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

In my earlier example of being "under-taken" on the Thurne at Thurne Dyke, I was driving a 44ft bath tub and I was keeping a good look out. That is why the accident was avoided - by me!

Which means there was no problem...

In sailing at Horning I'm always amazed at those that take no account of the tide, particularly Past the Swan you can get a tide  of 2 MPH, even up near Dydlers mill I have drifted up against the wind in a rescue boat at 1mph. 

Which reminds Me......

A quick look at Shorebase shows that on Sunday, the tide going out during all of the racing period, High tide being just Before the first race... So it's middle of the river going down,  the edges coming back(where possible.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

In sailing at Horning I'm always amazed at those that take no account of the tide, particularly Past the Swan you can get a tide  of 2 MPH, even up near Dydlers mill I have drifted up against the wind in a rescue boat at 1mph. 

Which reminds Me......

A quick look at Shorebase shows that on Sunday, the tide going out during all of the racing period, High tide being just Before the first race... So it's middle of the river going down,  the edges coming back(where possible.)

That's not uncommon. Down here we have a very active Broad based sailing club, not a problem whilst sailing on the actual Broad but clearly a problem when working the river, on the rare occasion they actually leave the Broad.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Labrador said:

Quoting  all these bylaws, tidal info etc. is all very well, but the average hirer is ignorant of most of this, and a fair percentage of private owners are also ignorant, plus a lot of arrogance.

Hirers I can understand but the level of ignorance shown my some private boats owners is nothing short of amazing. The Bylaws are nothing short of being our Highway Code and no less important. Learning about such things, even marlin-spike seamanship, is all part of our great hobby yet so many boat owners ignore such things. 

• Like 2

My Land Rover Discovery seemed to have one of those cloaking devices, given the number of people who would merrily pull out straight  in front of me at roundabouts n such.

As for overtaking on the Broads going past on the port side always feels right to me but I take each situation as I find it...

Griff I always found Triumphs own Race Cans were good de-cloakers on my Sprint RS and Daytona...

• Haha 1

I try and take a common sense approach. My preference is to overtake on the port side and I find most people are pretty good at keeping to the right 9 times out of 10 (when it's a powered boat). If they were drifting around slowly left of centre then if a clear view I'd give them a wide berth on the starboard side. Sailies have to go where the wind is I guess and are apt to change direction so it's a case of pass where an when is 100% safe. 

• Like 3

All these byelaws, rules , regulations , do's and dont'ts can make all this cruising on the broads seem perplexing.

Ive been coming to the broads for nearly 50 years, without knowing pretty much any of them. Common sense has however has served me well , as it has most others. 

If you come up behind a boat , who is going slower than you, pass on the least inconvenient side to your new friend , give them a wave and continue on in paradise. :default_cool:

• Like 9