Winter Maintenance At Herbert Woods

Broads01

Nothing out of the ordinary there really, its the minimum you would expect of a professional hire yard/fleet.

No time for anything other than essential repairs once the season starts so everything has to be done over the winter.

2 hours ago, 40something said:

Nothing out of the ordinary there really, its the minimum you would expect of a professional hire yard/fleet.

No time for anything other than essential repairs once the season starts so everything has to be done over the winter.

That is actually very good to hear, we really used to look forward to our week on the broads so I can understand how hirers would feel if the boat let them down.

A good read, thank you Simon for sharing the link.

"Following quality control action points taken ..." 

I wonder if that includes taking note of all feedback from their hirers and working on any issues that have been reported. I'm sure there must be many minor things that can't be fitted into a turnaround day and are considered through the closed season. And of course they have their self catering properties as well.

A busy time then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SteveDuk said:

I must admit I hadn't really thought about what happened to the boats over the winter and reading that certainly opened my eyes.  

Hi Steve,

Most of the work done at Herbert Woods over winter is very similar to the work undertaken by most of the Syndicate boats on the Broads. Ranworth Breeze is no exception and is currently out of the water.

We have had a new cutlass bearing fitted and this week a new bow thruster and tube is being fitted as well as all the other jobs that need to be completed before the season start in March.

Regards

Alan

It wasn't so much the mechanical stuff. More the emptying all the drawers and cupboards, removing the curtains type stuff I hadn't thought of.

I probably thought it was done by the laundry fairy that washes and irons my shirts and hangs them in the wardrobe ;)

(I'll be in trouble when Debs sees that)

• Like 3

In the days of wooden boats such as WR (built by Herbert Woods), the boat was stripped of everything and underneath every item that could be moved including the wooden bottoms of cupboards, small sections of floorboard that was designed specifically to fit 'that' boat would be written the class of the boat and number. It must have been like a jigsaw puzzle putting everything back in the spring.  Its bad enough now just getting the correct curtain wire in place for the correct window! Illustrated is the drawer from the front cabin which used to be the galley and the back of the mirror in the toilet.

Drawer-old_galley.jpg

lav.mirror.reverse.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, w-album said:

In the days of wooden boats such as WR (built by Herbert Woods), the boat was stripped of everything and underneath every item that could be moved including the wooden bottoms of cupboards, small sections of floorboard that was designed specifically to fit 'that' boat would be written the class of the boat and number. It must have been like a jigsaw puzzle putting everything back in the spring.  Its bad enough now just getting the correct curtain wire in place for the correct window! Illustrated is the drawer from the front cabin which used to be the galley and the back of the mirror in the toilet.

Drawer-old_galley.jpg

lav.mirror.reverse.jpg

Ooooh that's interesting....in the cockpit of my (plastic) boat there is a drawer and on the bottom of it is written "Craigmore"......I suppose it could have been salvaged from an old woodie at some point perhaps?

If they require anyone to take any boats out for a few trial sleepovers, then they can get me on here .

No problem :default_biggrin:

All the hire yards I have had dealings with over the last ten years , HB , Richardsons and Pacific  have been on the top of their game . Both in boats and customer service.  

Norfolk folk in general ( on my experiences) seem a good friendly bunch. Certainly adds to the holiday experience. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

Norfolk folk in general ( on my experiences) seem a good friendly bunch. Certainly adds to the holiday experience. 

I was talking to someone yesterday who asked me where I would move to if I could. Norfolk ... near the Broads, was my answer. But wouldn't what you love about it wear off through becoming everyday he asked? Not at all, I replied, the pace of life seems slower and more relaxed. But where would you go on holiday? I wouldn't ever need to go on holiday again, was my reply.

Actually not in a position to move away from Essex right now but we have enjoyed all our time in the caravan at Lowestoft. It's not on the water but it's close by ... and the sea is yards away. The caravan, incidentally, is now completely winterised. It's been fully drained down, moisture traps left around the place, cushions vacuum-packed and stored away, fridge freezer defrosted and switched off with doors slightly open, and one or two other bits and pieces done.

• Like 4