North Or South ?

Movic

So we have had Movic moored at Horning Ferry Marina for a number of years now , but we have been considering a move to the South side. Can i just say at this point there is absolutely no problem with ferry marina, in fact i can't praise them enough, they have been excellent through out. 

Any thoughts on North v South , the positives  v negatives, we re really not sure 

I guess it comes down to whether you want the peace and quiet of The South, or the hustle and bustle of The North. You will see a lot less hire boats down South, although having said that, a lot more seemed to be venturing South than normal last year. Moorings are generally easier to find in most places with no need to be moored up mid afternoon.

Somewhere in the depths of my memory I seem to remember that if you moored at Ferry marina you could exchange the mooring for one at WRC for a short period of time and vice versa? That may be totally wrong, but if not, then maybe the answer would be to renew with Ferry for the next year, but arrange to take a 2 or 3 month "holiday" at the WRC to see if you like being South, with a view to moving there permanently the year after? or not if you decide The South doesn't suit. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, imtamping2 said:

Stay North....... nothing down here to  see and there be Dragons !!!!!!!!      :default_drink_2:

I've seen a Sea Dragon, it was outside the Surlingham Ferry pub just after closing time You didn't mention the strong currents that can "rip the bottom" out of your boat, or high tides that can leave you washed up for weeks with no communication with the outside world, that is assuming you did not get the cleats ripped out of your boat. If you were not on the boat at the time introduces you to a southern game "go hunt the boat", tides tables and witnesses can be very useful here.

Well navigation..... the rivers are so wide that with a little mist or fog in the morning you can sail in circles for hours unless you brought a compass with you (not provided for hire craft) and bridges, well forget Potter....... can you believe that they actually swing a railway line with running trains right across the river in front of you. in not one but three places.

My boat is down south and it was the worst decision I ever made stay north is my advice.

I think a lot depends on the way you actually use your boat - for weekends and short trips or weeks at a time. If weekends and short trips then the south certainly would provide quieter trips. If weeks at a time then crossing north to south can become part of the trip. Being based in the north is great in the quieter months. Both areas have much to offer, having been based in the north for a number of years maybe time for a change?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Four years South, then one year North.  Boating is not a contact sport in the south.

(dons tin hat)

I beg to differ. Every time I venture South, I get clobbered. It's the tides wot does it, and the fact that few people seem to take any notice of them, or accept advice on how to deal with them. I advised a crew last year on how to leave the mooring by reversing out against the tide. What did they do? Powered straight forward into me. I just give up now, and let them get on with it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Reedham is probably the place where you are most likely to get hit, but timing your arrival once most have moored up, and departing early can alleviate the issue. For some reason the rangers at Reedham for the last couple of years seem to be a little reluctant to leave the hut and help people moor up, which I think has led to more incidents there. Strange really, as I thought that was why the rangers were there in the first place!!! Going back two or three years and the ranger was always up and down the mooring helping boats in. The ranger at Reedham could do with shadowing the ones at Yarmouth for a few weeks.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Reedham is probably the place where you are most likely to get hit, but timing your arrival once most have moored up, and departing early can alleviate the issue. For some reason the rangers at Reedham for the last couple of years seem to be a little reluctant to leave the hut and help people moor up, which I think has led to more incidents there. Strange really, as I thought that was why the rangers were there in the first place!!! Going back two or three years and the ranger was always up and down the mooring helping boats in. The ranger at Reedham could do with shadowing the ones at Yarmouth for a few weeks.

Well, I think that the Quay Workers at Reedham do a jolly good job, sometimes under difficult circumstances.

Andrew

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your input and thoughts. My personal preference is North. We run a pub so getting away is the odd day here and there or weekend. I feel the North side gives me greater options, but i do enjoy the South with its quieter rivers and miss going down there. After a few enquiries it would appear that mooring costs are around the same too, so not much to be gained there either.

I agree also I have been hit more times in the South , and harder too, The tides catch so many hire crews out. As for Reedham haven't been there for a year or two, but always found the Ranger to be helpful.  

I am still giving it some thought but the North has it so far

Thanks everyone  

• Like 1