The Downside Of Being A Facebook Member

51 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Better you being left to read messages,  not them reading about you!

Griff

If St Peter was sacked and I was now operating the pearly gates (I’m sure that would be my job)

how would I know if they were reading messages about me ? 

I think this raises a good point that your 'digital' life is as important as your 'real' life. It is how things are now, where once a generation ago you would collect photos, cine film  and in the 1980's and 1990's Camcorder footage that could be found easily, gone through and shared with family - much of this now only exists online. I would consider thinking about keeping a note of your login details with a copy of your Will so they can be dealt with as would be any other items one would own in the physical sense.

In the case of Facebook you can (while you are alive) advise them that when you die you wish to have your page memorialized. In so doing sensitive information (such as status updates and contact information) is removed from your profile, while privacy settings on the account are changed so that only confirmed, existing friends can see your profile or locate it in Facebook’s internal search. You can find out more here: https://www.facebook.com/help/150486848354038?helpref=faq_content

• Thanks 2

Some years back I recall reading a New Year Resolution that I found amusing

"My new year's resolution is to make my life half as interesting as I make it look on Facebook"

"This week in Night Owls Corner...Roderick Splunge Underpass will be joined by The Potterheigham All Ladies Formation Moustaches Twirling Troop, we will have music from Wildfuzz & The Back Waxers, we'll catch up with the work of the Broads Authority's Escaped Gorilla and Farting Camel Rangers Unit and in the studio our guests will include a Crocodile Dundee impersonator, a man without a chin and some bloke that just wandered in off the street..."

In memory of those nights when neither of us could sleep Iain! 

• Like 9

On 17.1.2018 at 15:46, LondonRascal said:

I would consider thinking about keeping a note of your login details with a copy of your Will so they can be dealt with as would be any other items one would own in the physical sense.

Some time ago I read an article about the difficulties family members have removing the deceased's various accounts (even supposing they are aware that such accounts exist).  The suggestion was to maintain a list with login details and keep somewhere safe.  Good idea I thought - but there must only be a small handful.  Currently at 1 1/2 pages of an A4 document.  Depressing I suppose.