Breydon Bridge Currently Not Operational!

Dear all

The Authority has been informed by Peel Ports that Breydon Bridge at Great Yarmouth is currently not operational and cannot be lifted for vessels until further notice.

Kind regards

Tom Waterfall

Digital Communications Officer

Tel: +44 (0) 1603 756034

Twitter: @BroadsAuth

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734
www.broads-authority.gov.uk

If its not working then its the only way plans or not , that life things change , besides I would have thought the engines would be looking forward to a rest I'm sure she will be opened up at sea .

I would always plan GY than Lowestoft and the lock. 

Bridges working of course.

Then there is the issue of the lock working? Not that I have heard it isn't. They will still need the rail bridge lifting at Mutford so another little challenge. 

Of course Lowestoft is a good safe haven if it gets rough. Just watch out for the sea cats. They don't take prisoners!:default_biggrin:

7 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

It was a broken traffic barrier, which snapped off in the high winds of early AM 18th January. As soon as this is replaced normal working will be resumed.

Isn't the traffic controlled by lights as well as barrier? If so surely it is not beyond the capabilities of the port to stop the traffic with the lights and then wheel out a temporary barrier across the lane to then open the bridge? It might add a minute or so to the road closure, but I cannot see that many bridge lifts being needed at this time of year. Why do they and Network Rail always take the easy option of just announcing the bridge is non operational until further notice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Why do they and Network Rail always take the easy option of just announcing the bridge is non operational until further notice.

I would imagine that the road bridge no I hope the road bridge, is interlocked with the barriers and lights. Just the same as railway bridges and level crossings are. Its time all half barrier's were done away with and replaced with full barriers as well..............

of course in years gone by, they would have a man there who put a cone in  front of the traffic if the barrier had broken.

but in this modern day and age you just cant trust drivers enough to stop if there wasnt a physical barrier to stop them driving off the edge of the bridge when it was open.