Horsey Mere

JohnK

I thought that Horsey Mere was closed to navigation through part of the winter.

But this document seems to imply it’s open to navigation but closed to boat angling.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/404259/Winter_wildfowl_pdf.pdf

Does anyone have more info? (although it would be difficult to have less than me!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My understanding, such as it is, is that you must not disturb the wildlife but you can still access the staithe, or at least that is what I was told when calling The Nelson a season or two back to ask if they knew whether we could arrive by boat. I believe any ban is voluntary as strictly speaking the BA cannot close the navigation.

The latter is correct - access is also available to the Waxham Cut.

Having said that, unless you have any special reason to go other than for the sake of it, this is one area that perhaps the birds are best left to their own in the winter - it is a very special place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, riverman said:

News to me, I wasn't aware it had anything to do with BA. I've done a fair amount of work there and always got the impression is was closed by the stewards/owners of horsey estate. 

Horsey Mere may be owned by The Horsey Estate, but it is tidal and therefore a right to navigate exists. Threats have been made in the past of prosecuting under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act which can carry a £20,000 fine for intentionally disturbing birds. However if all you are doing is navigating to the staithe or as Marshman has indicated Waxham Cut then you should be fine.

• Like 1

I found this on the BA website which does confirm there is access to the staithe, although it doesn't mention Waxham Cut. Most bosts struggle to get up there anyway.

Horsey Mere is a particularly sensitive part of the Upper Thurne, supporting some of the largest populations of wild migratory water birds.  Between the start of November and the end of February boat access on the mere is limited to navigation between the end of Meadow Dyke and the Staithe. Anglers can also use a small area in the southern part of the mere as long as they get a permit first. More information is on the Thurne Fisheries website.

Natural England sees any boating or fishing outside these areas as likely to disturb waterfowl and therefore an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act.

In the past much of the disturbance caused by boaters has been due to lack of awareness of the rules so we have put up a sign at the entrance to Candle Dyke asking boat users not to access the mere during the sensitive period.

The designated areas for fishing are under continual review. However, at this moment in time it is Natural England’s view that any fishing outside of the permitted area could cause disturbance to the waterfowl.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kadensa said:

Horsey is owned by the national Trust

Exactly my point. Having done work there, (possibly without planning - woops), BA won't say too much to the National Trust or the stewards of the estate, The Buxton's. Perhaps one of the few instance where BA are forced to be cooperative. 

I think it's more a case of telling people it's closed to stop people descending on mass. 

The Mere is privately owned but there being a staithe there is a right of access. The Authority did try the heavy approach but common sense and co-operation saved the day for both boaters and Horsey. It is a special place and it shows that people can work together without being bullied. 

7 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Did they stop putting the chain out across the Horsey end of Meadow Dyke ??

I don't think that has happened for a number of years now. Since 2006 there has even been access for anglers, albeit it with strict arrangements on the number of boats, and area they can fish in. Something like only one boat at any one time and the area is from the end of Meadow dyke along the sides of the Broad for a number of yards. See map

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1GWn6yN4qB7n6H1bj9oVu0ciuCcQ&msa=0&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=52.73922100000002%2C1.6226080000000138&spn=0.003248%2C0.004656&z=17&source=embed

3 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Wow! Is it really at least eleven years since I last chugged up there and, after a night in The Nelson, have bacon butties with the fella in the small shed/shop!

It flies really fast. It is now twelve years, since we are now in 2018 :default_beerchug: The Nelson is a good pub though.

22 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

The Mere is privately owned but there being a staithe there is a right of access.

Somewhere in the back of mind I remember a thread being discussed a few years ago on maybe an 'inactive' forum where a certain knowledgeable individual that doesn't contribute here, mentioned that the real Public Staithe was actually further towards the village.  Not sure if anyone has any old maps to confirm this?

If you Google I used Bing, Horsey Mere Closure, amongst the top results is one from another forum from Dec 2006. It claims to be the "official" forum. Some interesting discussion on that topic, and it would appear at least two of the people discussing this topic here appeared to have taken part in that discussion back then. Small world.

52 minutes ago, w-album said:

Somewhere in the back of mind I remember a thread being discussed a few years ago on maybe an 'inactive' forum where a certain knowledgeable individual that doesn't contribute here, mentioned that the real Public Staithe was actually further towards the village.  Not sure if anyone has any old maps to confirm this?

If you mean Old Frank & Speakers Corner then he is still about, you'll find him on FaceBook, under his real name. If anyone has a map then 'tis he.

• Like 1

Looking at the attached map and satellite image you can see the difference in the edge of the Broad and the length of the dyke. I wonder if the staithe was originally in the area I have marked in Red? The drainage channels don't appear to have moved much as a reference.

Horsey Mere Satellite.jpg

Horsey Mere 1905 Map.jpg

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

If you mean Old Frank & Speakers Corner then he is still about, you'll find him on FaceBook, under his real name. If anyone has a map then 'tis he.

Oh yes I know where he is  :default_biggrin: - he told me once that I sold him (when I worked in a Norwich Jewellers) his first engagement ring