BSS

I won't tell you the last one we used, but we won't be using him again! Wasn't anywhere near fit enough to climb aboard so I did & took photos of what he wanted to see on a mobile phone & showed him the result! Obviously I didn't photograph what I didn't want him to see!! (I jest!). I really had no confidence in him. So yes, go by recommendation, two so far, one of which can swear for England but nevertheless is ace at the job.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I won't tell you the last one we used, but we won't be using him again! Wasn't anywhere near fit enough to climb aboard so I did & took photos of what he wanted to see on a mobile phone & showed him the result! Obviously I didn't photograph what I didn't want him to see!! (I jest!). I really had no confidence in him. So yes, go by recommendation, two so far, one of which can swear for England but nevertheless is ace at the job.

I had one time that turned up to inspect a narrow boat in a suit and flatly refused to go in the engine room :default_2gunsfiring_v1:, obviously it failed on the fuel lines that the lazy person couldn't be bothered inspecting even though they were clearly stamped  ISO 7840 :71_smiling_imp:.

The best I ever heard was a good friend who rang his previous inspector and was asked if he'd changed anything , no was the answer and  in return for a cheque received a BSS certificate , no visit nothing , that said I really don't agree with that practice .

1 minute ago, Ray said:

Thanks everyone, 2 good recommendations noted ready for when the time comes.

(I tried to "like" everyone's contribution but I exceeded the board's limit, but all of your advice is much appreciated)

I had a similar problem the other day, not sure what the limit is, but there does appear to be a daily limit.

I believe the daily limit goes once you have been here a while or reached a certain amount of posts or learnt one of those special handshakes or been initiated etc

One of the chosen few will be along to explain it properly I am sure :default_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Thanks to this post,it reminded me to get my BSS done.I thought it was next year.My first BSS  for SK,BA reminded  me to get it done.Anyway Tim will do it for us.What I will do is make a note of it for 4 years time.

B.A. sent me a letter reminding me (as the named owner for the  syndicate) about Moonlight Shadow.  We had it done as part of the annual maintenance.  

SueH

I just wondered so Googled what the penalty of not having a valid BSS certificate was, and that directed me back to the relevant waterway authority - so in our case the Broads Authority. So I searched the Broads Authority website but I cannot really find much information as to what happens if you choose to let your BSS lapse.

You need to supply a BSS certificate for registration (to be issued with a Toll)  but then seems for 3 more years after you do not need such to renew the Toll.

So it would appear that no BSS = no Toll so then the penalty is not so much about not having a valid BSS but switches to not having a Toll which then seems more serious? Just got me thinking, in the general scheme of things ,if you have a lot of things to do to comply with the BSS and Toll requirements, it may be cheaper to pay a fine which so far as I can see can be no more than £1,000.

With Tolls ever increasing, plus the cost of the BSS and any remedial work that may be needed to obtain one, this is getting to the point where it one day could work out cheaper to get in trouble and pay a fine than to stick within the bylaws.