BA Volunteering

JohnK

Let’s not turn this into a badge debate (please)

I’d be really tempted to volunteer to help the BA:
http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/looking-after/how-you-can-help/volunteering/current-volunteering-opportunities
But all the roles (except one) are “customer facing”. That really wouldn’t work for me.

Do they ever ask for volunteers for work on the banks etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to be honest work clearing rubbish or underbrush on the banks would be an excellent thing to use volunteers for,  it could even be used as a corporate team building exercise. where I used to work, we went in as a team and built a wheelchair access path around a local fishing lake, this included bridges from sleepers across the streams and levelling up the existing paths with a mini digger and hardcore.

54 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Let’s not turn this into a badge debate (please) emoji57.png

I’d be really tempted to volunteer to help the BA:
http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/looking-after/how-you-can-help/volunteering/current-volunteering-opportunities
But all the roles (except one) are “customer facing”. That really wouldn’t work for me.

Do they ever ask for volunteers for work on the banks etc?

I would have thought so, iv seen lots of volunteers at whitlingham etc engaged in bush work , I'm pretty certain that last yr they we're advertising .  

I seem to remember that there was a group of young volunteers organised by BA some years ago, I just assumed they were still going, I am sure they had a name, maybe going back to the 1990s. I didn't realise how long ago it is. As it was for younger people, it would no longer include me, but I am sure some other members may still qualify!

I see there is a training element to one or two of the jobs. If I lived in the area I could very well be tempted to apply for a couple of the posts. The company I work for allows everyone one paid day per year to do voluntary work somewhere ... I don't think that's quite what they're looking for! ;)

The BA do appear to have bank clearance volunteers as I've seen non uniformed personel clearing banks up river of Horning.

I think Horning sailing club themselves clear the bank between the club house and the bend up river from the club. They used to do further up to near the mill but that agreement with the landowners / BA seems to have ended.

The club members who volunteer for working parties get a free lunch  / tea  /coffee on the day.

JohnK - Broadsword would certainly be the answer to your volunteering question, they do a lot of darn good work. You’ll have to join the Broads Society but that only puts you ‘in with the in-crowd’! :default_norty:

Thank you. Not heard of them. Google time!

To anyone looking to volunteer some labour, I personally think that's a much more worthy cause than BA. And from what I've seen Lori and the NWDCT lot really crack on.

Agreed.    I'd really love to get involved with this organisation.  Snag is I'm just too far away and when I do get time to pop down,    'B,A' takes priority with her upgrades and maintenance.  What I really need to do is get retired and win the lottery.  Then again if I did manage that then the NWDCT would be completed to full navigation within a year or so

Griff

• Like 1