Structural Concerns ,yes Or No

Due to the wife's worsening mobility issues she is finding it hard to climb on and off the boat so the plan is to cut out a section of the port side to make it into a hinged door, I know a guy that does GRP work and is confident that its a straight forward job , I'm just a bit concerned about altering the structure by a large amount after all it was built like that for a reason, can anyone see any issues with having a hinged door in the area I have marked out.

IMG_20180128_154028-1.jpg

IMG_20180128_154038.jpg

IMG_20180128_154017.jpg

My concern is going below the hull to superstructure join. I think that it would be better just to remove the combing to deck level or would this not be any help? You would be getting rid of a "trip" and if your wife could step onto the deck with perhaps the aid of a caravan step I think it would help.

You will be taking a great deal of strength out of the structure and in the event of a collision you may well regret it. Although you probably won't be concerned, your wife coming first, you will probably devalue the boat. Personally I'd create a bathing platform, access point, in the transom and that may well up the value in the event of a resale. 

Won't it weaken the hull and maybe give you an issue if you have to lift the boat out with a crane and webbing straps?  Best talk to them that really knows, or maybe find out if anyone has done something similar in the past

Not so much of an issue coming out on a slipway though

Griff

12 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

My concern is going below the hull to superstructure join. I think that it would be better just to remove the combing to deck level or would this not be any help? You would be getting rid of a "trip" and if your wife could step onto the deck with perhaps the aid of a caravan step I think it would help.

That would help greatly , just above the join would make things easier and if it doesn't weaken anything too much that may be the way to go

14 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

You will be taking a great deal of strength out of the structure and in the event of a collision you may well regret it. Although you probably won't be concerned, your wife coming first, you will probably devalue the boat. Personally I'd create a bathing platform, access point, in the transom and that may well up the value in the event of a resale. 

No room in the transom for any mods the gas locker is one side and the battery's are the other, it will only ever be moored port side on so just need "leg over " bit removed, we already have various steps of different heights but trying to avoid any steps if at all possible due to lack leg strength

11 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Won't it weaken the hull and maybe give you an issue if you have to lift the boat out with a crane and webbing straps?  Best talk to them that really knows, or maybe find out if anyone has done something similar in the past

Not so much of an issue coming out on a slipway though

Griff

Not much of a concern to us at the moment, happy if we can have another years use out of it , no plans to take it out this year , could always put it back to standard if we ever sold it , not too bothered about de valuing it either its not worth a huge amount and  we would rather have it useable for as long as possible..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

A pasarelle is a flat walkway I will look for examples tomorrow but have posted a link before.

paul

Ps something like a dog ramp fot cars may help

I'm aware what a pasarelle is but if it goes uphill like it would then its not really any better than steps , the issue is no leg strength so a  straight walk in would be preferable..plus there is still a big drop on the inside

I do have some sympathy with this one, being a little less than able. I am also well aware that there are varying degrees of disability. Anyway, it is always with a degree of amazement that I watch the good folk of Waveney Sailability hoisting their clients aboard. At Oulton Broad they use an easily dis-mountable hoist, one that could be mounted onto the side-deck of your boat and one that would probably provide a longer term solution, and save the integrity of your boat's hull and deck.

Sailability 2.jpg

Sailability.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion but that would be a definate no no, we moved house to a bungalow because a stair lift wasn't an option, I'm trying to keep things as normal as possible without any lifting aids, long story but anything that resembles a disability aid is something that we wish to avoid for now ..

16 minutes ago, Jocave said:

Thanks for the suggestion but that would be a definate no no, we moved house to a bungalow because a stair lift wasn't an option, I'm trying to keep things as normal as possible without any lifting aids, long story but anything that resembles a disability aid is something that we wish to avoid for now ..

I do understand, was there with my mum-in-law.

I'm all for planning ahead but the wife wants to keep things as normal for as long as possible,, its not a huge value boat, we only paid 8k for it and spent another 2k on it tidying it up, plus I have done a few modifications to make it more workable on the inside, its the getting onboard that's the issue now, its been 5 months since she was last onboard, don't mind spending on it if it makes it usable, I'm pretty sure it will be OK but I will get a second opinion before any cuts are made , I may even end up with the only side entry Viking afloat..

6 hours ago, Jocave said:

I'm all for planning ahead but the wife wants to keep things as normal for as long as possible,, its not a huge value boat, we only paid 8k for it and spent another 2k on it tidying it up, plus I have done a few modifications to make it more workable on the inside, its the getting onboard that's the issue now, its been 5 months since she was last onboard, don't mind spending on it if it makes it usable, I'm pretty sure it will be OK but I will get a second opinion before any cuts are made , I may even end up with the only side entry Viking afloat..

6 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Can I suggest that you have a word with the manufacturer about your plans and ask for their opinion or alternative suggestions.

Jeff

I thought it looked like a Viking. Viking do offer the option of an opening down to deck level on certain boats. I know the 24 is one. Why not have a word with Wayne or Vinny on 01371.875214 (don't e-mail, you will not get a reply) As a Viking owner I would definitely not go into the hull as the layup is very light. These are boats for the masses and are built to sell at an attractive price.

• Like 1

I have done a couple of Hamptons and even one in the side of an old mediterranean,  if you can access underneath to fully clean up, prep and bond in then its easy, if you have to fair it out on the outside to bond in the joins it will take more sanding and finishing, either way it will be worth it.

Structurally no problem as long as you bond it all back in properly.

just make sure the gas pipe is not clipped up along where you cut! 

• Like 2

If you look at the Nancy Oldfield trust boats some have large sections cut out, here's one of their images.

There were also at one time caravan boats where you could load your own caravan on board. They had the entire stern cut away down by about 2 feet.

Properly done I don't think there would be a problem.

4027889667.jpg

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

As long as you bond in a good box section underneath (on the inside) running back up to the deck it should be fine,  after all it's only for river use.

Only for river use, probably more demanding on a hull than a trip to sea! Anyway, that aside, I agree that a box section could be the answer but I do wonder at the access on the inside in order to install. Vikings, like many boats, have great strength when considered as a whole, e.g. deck to hull bond and combing shape. Without advice from a surveyor, better still the builder and designer, I would be loath to meddle with the basic structure of the boat.  Bit like an egg, very strong whilst the shell is entirely intact.