Single Parent Hiring Boats

Loddonlad

7 hours ago, Philosophical said:

Imagine how the yards would react if a hirer informed them "our family has changed its policy in respect of holidays to one of No Boating, please take this communication as notice of cancellation of our booking..... we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause"

And what would their chances be of getting a full refund.... ZERO

and that's just given me a thought if I'd phoned up last Wednesday to cancel my holiday as it is 2 weeks before I believe I would not have received any money back as there would not have been sufficient time to get the boat rebooked by another customer so instead they've phoned me the day after cancelling my booking giving me a full refund even though there's still insufficient time for the boat to get rebooked by another customer 

• Like 1

I think this situation is very sad; I still can't understand it and I fear it may have other consequences.

When I look back to what Richardsons used to be like in the old days, under the Rank umbrella and then I look at all the work they have put in over 40 years, to turn it into a business of quality boats - both old and new - quality service and competitive prices, it is very dis-appointing.

• Like 4

Richardsons  are suffering bad publicity due to the sudden implementation of this policy, hitting their reputation and will also suffer ongoing loss of those hirers who they will now not accept, hitting their bottom line. Competitors are already gleefully courting those dumped so my theory is its an on-going claim or case that has forced them into this action 

I agree with Marshman.  -  We must stop meeting like this!

I go back to what I said about the hirer being the "charterer" of the vessel. He is effectively, the owner of it for the duration of his charter. If he breaks local bye-laws, or civil law, then he is responsible, not the boatyard. I cannot see how the yard can fear litigation, from a hirer who has declared his circumstances before booking. Yes, the yard have the right to refuse a booking from an unsuitable hirer, but not, as I have always understood it, after they have confirmed a contract of hire (a charter).

If the hirer has not declared his circumstances at the time of booking, that is different.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Doubt that - Norfolks too small to keep secrets!!! In any case cannot realistically see the basis of any claim that could even begin to be considered likely!

Fair enough, but Richardsons have self harmed so there must be a good reason. Hopefully all those affected will find a suitable alternative and have  nice holiday on the rivers. 

As not everybody is on the FB page (I am not any longer due to over-modding), please allow me to confirm Freedom's position on hiring Solo or to lone parents. 

The overriding point is one of safety.

Whilst we will hire to solos and lone parents, it is not a guarantee.  

We will ask relevant and pertinent questions at the booking stage to determine experience and skills and we will discuss the matter internally before accepting a booking. 

Newbie solos are unlikely to have an overnight booking accepted. Likewise for lone parents of toddlers or children who require a great deal of their parent's attention. Also, we will not hire large boats to solo pilots. 

This has never changed for us and there is no outside pressure or influence (currently or anticipated) that will cause us to review this. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Thank you Andy and that is how I have always known it to work, on the Broads.

I remember back in the 50s we had a regular customer at Hearts called Bill Vaughan (perhaps that's why I remember him) who, after he had lost his wife, came back on his own twice a year in the off season. He also booked a week in winter in a nearby guest house, so that he could help to paint the boat that he was hiring for next year.

You certainly don't turn away customers like that, just because they are single handed!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

As not everybody is on the FB page (I am not any longer due to over-modding), please allow me to confirm Freedom's position on hiring Solo or to lone parents. 

We will ask relevant and pertinent questions at the booking stage to determine experience and skills and we will discuss the matter internally before accepting a booking. 

Newbie solos are unlikely to have an overnight booking accepted. Likewise for lone parents of toddlers or children who require a great deal of their parent's attention. Also, we will not hire large boats to solo pilots. 

This has never changed for us and there is no outside pressure or influence (currently or anticipated) that will cause us to review this. 

Common sense......... it'll never catch on :10_wink:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

As said by others, a sensible attitude and approach to the matter. Thank you Freedom.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

All spot on Andy, as is your any day to any day policy which very handily enabled me to replace the Thursday-Tuesday Richardsons break that I lost. I'm really looking forward to Lady of Freedom on 26 April. 

16 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Well said

And to be honest everytime I book solo I look at the boats and think to myself would I be able to manage that on my own

Solo I've never hired anything above 31ft (escapade) although I moored San Remo solo twice which is 35ft but sedan style are a lot better solo as you have greater all round visibility 

On 17/02/2018 at 19:03, finny said:

How many broads boating deaths are related to solo hirers ?

finny 

On 17/02/2018 at 19:33, C.Ricko said:

I don't know and I'm  not going to find out, you can google it if you want to then enlighten us. its much more fun reading the steady stream of speculation on these threads, I'm sorry i contributed and upset equilibrium in the echo chamber but I will now sit back. 

I have attached a copy of a report, issued by the Broads Authority in 2015, which contains an analysis of deaths and injuries reported to them since 1993 (scroll down to Table 1 on page 6).

The most number of boat-related fatalities in any one year was 6 in 2003. In most years the number is 1, 2 or 3.

In 6 of those years, there were none reported.

I can see nothing in that report that suggests that a single person hiring, or hiring by a one-parent family, creates an increased risk.

Marine-Annual-Incident-Statistics.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Since most of the bigger boats have bow thrusters, I would have thought hiring solo on a bigger boat would be no problem as you can bring them along side to a dead stop quite easily before heading for the ropes...

I thought the bank was for bringing a boat to a dead stop!:default_biggrin:

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Since most of the bigger boats have bow thrusters, I would have thought hiring solo on a bigger boat would be no problem as you can bring them along side to a dead stop quite easily before heading for the ropes...

The problem is most of the bigger boats with bow thrusters are more expensive, making it more expensive if you're solo

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 19:19, BoF said:

I put a very similar question the Clive when we spoke. My wife isn't really into messing around in boats, previous trips have not gone as well as hoped, but she was willing to come with me so I didn't miss out. However, she is not fit or able enough to be of any practical use in crewing the boat, other than her ability to dial 999 if something happens. 

In answer to my question "What's the difference between me going on my own and my wife coming, when I would still have to do all the crewing single-handed anyway?".  The reply was "She is over 18". Full stop!

So it would appear that the abilities, or lack of, the second person is totally irrelevant, the only criteria are that they be over 18 years of age. 

You and me both. It does make the whole saga rather nonsensical, in my opinion, but there we go.

Previous comments about Martham Boats and centre cockpits is spot on, plus you start on the nicest side of Potter bridge.

On 2/17/2018 at 19:31, Vaughan said:

I think it should be remembered that inland waterways boating holidays, although an adventure and activity holiday, have a safety record, right back over the years, which must be second to none.

Thank you for that Paladin and I think it bears out what I suggested to Clive earlier on this thread.

And to quote the conclusion from that BA report :

When consideration is given to the large number of visitors to the Broads, the statistics demonstrate that it continues to be a safe place for boating and boating related activities.

4 hours ago, Paladin said:

I have attached a copy of a report, issued by the Broads Authority in 2015, which contains an analysis of deaths and injuries reported to them since 1993 (scroll down to Table 1 on page 6).

The most number of boat-related fatalities in any one year was 6 in 2003. In most years the number is 1, 2 or 3.

In 6 of those years, there were none reported.

I can see nothing in that report that suggests that a single person hiring, or hiring by a one-parent family, creates an increased risk.

Marine-Annual-Incident-Statistics.pdf

Thank you Paladin .i did contemplate looking this up but after the tone of the retort to my question I simply thought why bother ?

i have solo sailed my times on my own boat and have done it once under hire in this case like many others I feel honouring existing booking would have been the right thing to do speaking as a Richardsons customer 

moving forwards the statistics that you have kindly brought forth confirms the situation from a factual safety view .i also feel that across the yards there is enough experience to adopt a relevant hand over before hire similar to what Freedom do 

thank you Finny

• Like 2

I still think there is something going on that no one knows about.

On the face of it Richardson’s decision and the sudden implementation of it seems foolish, upsetting some loyal customers and getting bad publicity on social media.

But these guys are no fools. Every dealing I’ve had with them has been excellent from the phone call to book, to leaving the yard at the end.

So why did they do it?

Well here’s a theory, it’s a bit thin I must admit.

Suppose there were some people, maybe solo hirers, maybe single parents, that they just did not want to hire to at any cost. I don’t know why, could have had trouble in the past or may have heard about them from other yards. To just refuse the booking(s) on an individual basis could potentially cause the yard a lot of problems . So they do what they did, they suffer some bad publicity but it’s acceptable, and now company policy keeps away the people they don’t want.

Like I said, it’s a bit thin, it’s just hypothetical, made up in my own mind but something along those lines is the only reason I can see for them taking the action they did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1