Where Did The Love Affair Begin?

PastorsDayOff

late to this fred, but....

always loved the water.. dad was merchant seaman, we always had our holidays in Cornwall camping, one year my dad got a boat, tested it on the Don, outside the ICI, we used that the next year as the trailer for our camping stuff, after tent was put up, me and my dad took boat to Mousehole, put it in the harbour and had the best times of our lives. me, sister, mum and dad, going over from Mousehole to St Michaels Mount. Me and dad fishing off of Mousehole. One year going out of Mousehole, turning right, me, my dad, my dads mate and his daughter feather fishing for mackerel, six feathers on each rod, my dad got a tug from a fish and said, that's one.... that's 2, that's 3, that's four....pull them in dad....no Geoff, two more hooks left... that's 5....

that is when the dorsal fin appeared ....... no more mackerel on the line, no more rod in my dads hand... shark 1 dad 0......

So after that, my dads mates daughter said she didn't want to fish any more, so she sat with my dad while me and his mate filled the boat.

Look, that's Logan's Rock, my dad said to her,

Holey ****, he said to us.... we need to go back

PERFECT

84 mackerel in boat..................

when we got back to the campsite, instead of freezing it all in the camp site owners fridge, we knocked  on the tent doors (you don't knock, you just say knock knock) and offered every one mackerel for tea.....

They all accepted, but asked if we could clean and gut them.....

me and my dad were gutting fish for over an hour.......

that was a memory from 36 years ago.....

I miss my dad............................................................

• Like 9

Thank you donnygeoff for being so honest. And sorry if my post upset you. I feel for you.

In truth, I found the trip to Woodbridge that started my initial post off an emotional experience because I miss my perants who got me into boating, and the time I spent with them there. 

The memories however remain, and for that I am truly thankful.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PastorsDayOff said:

Thank you donnygeoff for being so honest. And sorry if my post upset you.

No Pastor,

It did not upset me at all, it brought back GOOD memories....

I have tears in my eyes now replying to you, but they are HAPPY tears.....

Does that make sense.........

PS.. welcome to the forum

:default_beerchug:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, donnygeoff said:

when we got back to the campsite, instead of freezing it all in the camp site owners fridge, we knocked  on the tent doors (you don't knock, you just say knock knock) and offered every one mackerel for tea.....

They all accepted, but asked if we could clean and gut them.....

Same thing happened to me Geoff.

Camping in Scarborough in my younger days with mates we went out on one of the fishing boats from the harbour and came back with bags full of mackerel and distributed them around the site but like you had to clean them first.

I was sick of the sight of mackerel after that.

• Like 1

Return to school January 1956, notice on "School Information Board" about a school holiday on a boat on the "Norfolk Broads". Comment from Dad "Where's that?" Further advice sought from school & signed up. So Whit Saturday set off from a dreary, damp Flixton on the 200+ mile treck to Percivals at Horning, no M ways or bypasses so route was Manchester, Chesterfield, Mansfield, Newark, Sleaford, Spalding, K.L. Norwich, Wroxham & finally at about 16:00 Horning!! Shown boat Panther 11 & got on board, the teacher who was in charge was shown the bits & pieces that were to be attended to each day & then had the demo cruise. Got away about 17:00 & went to South Walsham broad to meet up with rest of the "Armada" if an extra 3 Woods Light class plus Panther can be classed as such, mud weighted that first night & ever since I've made sure I visited the Broads as regularly as possible, brought both sons & they enjoyed it, but as stiffness of the limbs, brought on by arther, or his brother fred, I find getting on & off boats a bit problematic, so I usually stay at the Lion at West Somerton to once again enjoy the relaxed pace of life here in Broadland.:default_cool:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

First boating experience of the Broads, September 1972, with my parents.  I had just graduated from University and had long been fascinated by the idea of holidays on a boat.  Hired a Bermuda from FB Wilds at Horning, had a great (if rather rain-sodden time) but the bug had bit!

In many ways, the next Broads holiday is more memorable.  My wife and I married in 1974 and had been greatly helped by our respective parents to set up our first home etc..  So, 1975, we decided to take both sets of parents on a boating holiday on the Broads, as a thank you.  Obviously, my parents and I both knew what to expect.  However, my wife and her parents had no such idea and, as I discovered later, if as late as the night before we were due to set off I had told them we couldn't go, they would have been delighted!

By the Wednesday of the week we were there, hiring from Alan Johnson Boats (can't remember the name of the boat but it was an ex-Wilds Carribean) parents-in-law and wife were all asking, when can we go on a boating holiday again?

Since then, numerous holidays on the Broads (and the Thames, and the English Canals, and the Caledonian Canal, even French waterways later this year).  Our two daughters, now married with children of their own are equally "bugged"; we're on the Broads for four nights from Easter Monday with one daughter, her husband and two youngest grandchildren, and the France expedition is with the other daughter, her husband and three oldest grandchildren.

There's truly nothing like a boating holiday.

Jeff

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1