Mud Weight Size

I have used a 16lb Bruce Anchor on The Broads they hold extremely well but a huge amout of mud comes up with them and going along with it just below the surface does not clean it like a mud weight. Also difficult to stow on a small boat.

39 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I have used a 16lb Bruce Anchor on The Broads they hold extremely well but a huge amout of mud comes up with them and going along with it just below the surface does not clean it like a mud weight. Also difficult to stow on a small boat.

Never thought about getting all the mud off, think i spend enough time cleaning the boat as it is. 

I made the mistake of using a danforth anchor and chain on my ski boat. Just the once. The anchor and chain were caked in mud when they came up. It held ok but now I’d only use a mud weight on the Broads. I did find on Oulton once though that the mud weight seemed to have dropped off an edge. When I moored it seemed to be holding but half an hour later I was drifting with the mud weight hanging at the end of its rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd use a mudweight with chain then line. It's a good idea to do as Ricardo says, use the fwd/astern to break suction. Also trail it just in the water a short way to save a lot of deck swearing. :default_blink:

i have floaty line on the end in case it comes loose from its fixed end in the fwd locker.. 

Like JM, we have a thumping big weight stashed fwd if need be. Had a Danforth but think I let that go with Rondonay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Moving our boat to the broads in a few weeks time, I don't have a mud weight just an anchor.

im wondering if there are any rules on using anchors in the broads system and whether I would find a mud weight useful, perhaps over the stern when at anchor?

Hello Simon,

For several years I used to replace our anchor for a mud weight that I had purchased, the boat was still being used at sea at that time so we still had use of the anchor, we we stopped going out to sea a mud weight replaced the anchor on a permanent basis.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Moving our boat to the broads in a few weeks time, I don't have a mud weight just an anchor.

im wondering if there are any rules on using anchors in the broads system and whether I would find a mud weight useful, perhaps over the stern when at anchor?

No rules but some anchor types are next to useless on the Broads. Mud weights are great, most of the time, and would be my first choice. Some folk carry two mudweights, when one isn't enough then they put the second one on the end of the rope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnK said:

I made the mistake of using a danforth anchor and chain on my ski boat. Just the once. The anchor and chain were caked in mud when they came up. It held ok but now I’d only use a mud weight on the Broads. I did find on Oulton once though that the mud weight seemed to have dropped off an edge. When I moored it seemed to be holding but half an hour later I was drifting with the mud weight hanging at the end of its rope.

Perhaps the tide had come in? :facepalm:

Perhaps the tide had come in? :facepalm:

Haha, do you know, I never gave that a thought.
Even thinking about it after I never considered it!
I spend a significant amount of time trying to understand tides so I have no explanation for it at all
Doh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

No rules but some anchor types are next to useless on the Broads. Mud weights are great, most of the time, and would be my first choice. Some folk carry two mudweights, when one isn't enough then they put the second one on the end of the rope.

Really greedy ones have 3 :51_scream:  , 1 normally used ,1 stern and 1 oh flipping heck its windy emergency one :default_biggrin:

On 09/03/2018 at 16:08, Jovril said:

Thanks Sidestand

Look forward to hearing from you

John

Just checked and it's 15 kilo shiny chrome one attached with chain and powered by a windlass.... 

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Only softees have winches!

It is also has both foot switches on the bow and a remote in wheelhouse to work it .... us softies don't like getting wet either JM.... ?????

3 minutes ago, sidestand said:

It is also has both foot switches on the bow and a remote in wheelhouse to work it .... us softies don't like getting wet either JM.... ?????

I grew up without a winch onboard but when my father turned fifty or so he had a leccy one fitted, ooooh, wonderful! When I managed the yacht station at Burgh St Peter it used to be the morning's clarion call, I can't get my mudweight in. My chest would swell, time to impress the girlies! All it takes is a jerk to loosen a mudweight, simple enough when you know. Now, in my dotage, I have a Moyle winch on the foredeck, 'tis manual though.

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I grew up without a winch onboard but when my father turned fifty or so he had a leccy one fitted, ooooh, wonderful! When I managed the yacht station at Burgh St Peter it used to be the morning's clarion call, I can't get my mudweight in. My chest would swell, time to impress the girlies! All it takes is a jerk to loosen a mudweight, simple enough when you know. Now, in my dotage, I have a Moyle winch on the foredeck, 'tis manual though.

In my defense it is a godsend to me as I have severe arthritis to both hands and extreme finger tip joints ..... can manage to tie the boat up in a fashion but sadly pulling up a mud weight can leave me grabbing for the painkillers ... lol

13 minutes ago, Jovril said:

Many thanks for that Steve

Looks like 15 kilo then that is so long as purchase goes through.

Due for survey next week - fingers crossed

Thanks

John

Hope all goes well next week John 

Edited by Guest
Fat fingers lol

We have a 30'  connoisseur which came with a 18kg front mudweight which seems to hold well and i have added a second for the stern , as we like to wild camp and do a bit of fishing so one at either end keeps the boat in the desired position! I would have prefered a bit lighter one for the stern , say a 15kg but ended up with another 18

Ours is 18kg and holds the boat fine but I find it heavy to retrieve. I am going to try a lighter one this season and keep the 18kg in reserve for windy days.

• 2 years later...