Solar Panals

Hi All

Having been looking a solar panel's and would welcome your views.

Have found the following online which look as though they would be suitable for most occasions.

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/197-100W-12V-ETFE-Semi-flexible-dual-battery-solar-charging-kit-for-motorhome-caravan-campervan-rv-boat-or-yacht.html

What do you all think - Is it worth the cost to install?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and sorry for all these stupid questions

John

Seems a good set up, other than the charge controller. I would get an MPPT as we have on Broad Ambition.

MPPT controllers give  more power than a PWM charger (as the one that comes with the kit above would have). With an MPPT you can connect higher voltage panels to lower voltage battery banks.  In a normal charger the battery acts as a resistor reducing the amount of power you can get out of the panels, these chargers use Multi Power Point Tracking (MPPT) which keeps 2 separate circuits for the panels and batteries allowing 'upto' 30% more power to be collected from the panels. Using higher voltage on the panel side will also benefit by less volt drop and can use thinner cables. 

3215RN.jpghttp://amzn.eu/dS3cbzi 

• Like 1

I've had four panels, similar to those you have shown, fitted for over a year With an MPPT controller. They seem to be doing the job of charging  24,  2 Volt traction batteries very well. So far the only maintenance they've needed is a wash off with river water,  as the dust and bird carp collects on the Cabin roof.

Hi John. I must agree with Robin about the mppt controller and the Amazon one looks good value.

If a rigid panel is an option then have a look here. http://www.bimblesolar.com

They have a good range of panels and you could get more watts for your £ :default_biggrin:

You could ask for a price with an upgrade to mppt.

Colin:default_beerchug:

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

I've had four panels, similar to those you have shown, fitted for over a year With an MPPT controller. They seem to be doing the job of charging  24,  2 Volt traction batteries very well. So far the only maintenance they've needed is a wash off with river water,  as the dust and bird carp collects on the Cabin roof.

Is there a thread about your electric propulsion system?

Not as such, although I have explained in on other threads.

Basically it's a 3 phase AC motor by ev not too dissimilar to this http://www.everything-ev.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_77_97&products_id=416

Their controller that converts 48V DC  to 3 Phase ac,

a small throttle on the dash board.

24 2v batteries

4 12V solar panels with controller.

4 CTEK battery chargers

I managed to get a bargain for the generator a panda fischer AGT 4000 (48V) a a good price. like this https://www.fischerpanda.co.uk/AGT_4000_PMS.html

I estimate I could get  from Horning to Potter and part of the way back, on battery power only, but in reality I'd wind up the generator before setting off to save takeing a cycle life out of the batteries.

For short journeys I just let the solar panels do the topping up. So for Black horse or just from the Moorings to the sailing club it's solar only.

Had I not got the generator deal, I would have had the system at 72V as that would be more efficient.

I have the stuff to fit Shore power, and once thats fitted I'll have the battery chargers available.

The intention then is to have  48V- 240V inverter and have a microwave, hot plate and kettle . no gas.

The electric motor It's very quiet except for a small high pitched whine at full blast.

The generator is very quiet except for the engine noise from the water cooled exhaust. So I intend wrapping the exhaust in the fireproof jet engine insulation foam, and covering the boat around that area with  the jet engine insulation foam.

Even so the whole arrangement now is much quieter than the old BMC 1500 that used to be in there.

The only problems I've got,

Are because it's conventional lead acid batteries, having to keep them topped up with water.

I'm also having to ballast the boat at the rear, as  the batteries have moved the center of gravity forward.  This is because it's a center cockpit, center engine compartment boat.

• Thanks 1