Trixie (Rascal's Fleet)

If members are interested in discussing the desirability or otherwise of having a survey done on a potential purchase then perhaps a seperate thread could be started. This thread seems to me to have become a discussion regarding Robins judgement, not, IMHO a subject for this forum. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, johnb said:

If members are interested in discussing the desirability or otherwise of having a survey done on a potential purchase then perhaps a seperate thread could be started. This thread seems to me to have become a discussion regarding Robins judgement, not, IMHO a subject for this forum. 

Whilst I understand your sentiment on this occasion Robin quite openly discussed his preferred method of purchase. So discussion regarding this is IMHO quite justified on this thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, johnb said:

Sorry but if you are going to live your life in public and create a celebrity status then you will attract public comment and possibly criticism, hopefully some others will learn from the various comments posted in this and other threads and avoid costly mistakes.

Fred

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Sorry but if you are going to live your life in public and create a celebrity status then you will attract public comment and possibly criticism, hopefully some others will learn from the various comments posted in this and other threads and avoid costly mistakes.

Fred

Very true but if these discussions were in a separate thread actually entitled ‘survey or not’ or similar, wouldn’t that be better? Doesn’t stop this thread continuing as intended. 

• Like 1

Congratulations, lovely little boat, always had a soft spot for these.

IMO surveys are just a license to print money, never had one done on anything I've purchased and probably will never have one done, common sense goes a long way, and sure there is a risk, but that's what keeps things exciting.

For northern broads, in the past we've moored at south quays horning, wroxham, broadsedge stalham, richardsons stalham & Richardsons horning.

Richardsons would get my vote anyday! We loved our time at their Horning marina.

• Like 2

The world is not a very nice place all of the time - last night I gave a pound to a chap on the Tube who was homeless, and the woman next to me said "cos' you know you're a mug for doing that" and therein began telling me all about what she did not know about me. It happens.

I would hate this Forum became some kinda of 'walled garden' like AOL tried to be protecting people from the harshness of the open Internet (and real life) so if people wish to ask things, debate, comment, assume, get 'hot under the collar' it is all fine by me.

But when someone says:

I do not choose to live my life in public - I share a very tiny proportion of what I do, focused on boating and boats on videos that I create for my own pleasure and as an easy way to record the places I go, things that happen and changes that take place over the years. I am really happy with public comment (and criticism) but saying ..."Hopefully some others will learn from the various comments posted in this and other threads and avoid costly mistakes..." is just plain wrong.

By saying this it implies that I have made some kind of costly mistake, or am about to. I have not and I am not about to. Also I do not encourage people to follow my lead, and made this obvious when in my opening post here when I said "All I can say is don’t follow my lead with these purchases..." After all, each purchase is up to the buyer to decide if it is what they want and go about buying in the manner they wish to - this is my way of doing it and I just don't understand why I have to explain and debate the process time and again, fist with Independence now with this boat. I don't think the fact I made some videos should change anything the real difference seems to be my openness to the process.

What usually happens is someone will post here that they are buying a boat or they have bought a boat. Usually the details of which are not shared in their first post but as others congratulate them it is often asked "what boat did you get" and they will share what it and maybe where they will be mooring her.  But because I am saying here is the boat I am buying, this is the process that came to this point and this is how the deal went down it seems to cause such a splash.

Anyway - back to the boat in question. Despite the fact I have not seen the boat I have not actually paid anything for it, and I will not pay anything until I have been onboard and giving it 'the once over' should I find something not to my likening I can walk away from the deal  - it is all subject to Contract and my acceptance, an important part of the negotiations but I have secured it and all being well this Saturday will be a done deal.

Just when I thought I had sorted the mooring my Mum raised the point about it having to having to have shore power - I don't think Broads Edge offer this, but they are great value moorings and such a lovely location. Now I am considering Horning or Wroxham as possible locations - Wroxham would be nice as it is pretty central, easy to get supplies, and offers a lot of possibilities for short day trip cruises from also.

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

The world is not a very nice place all of the time - last night I gave a pound to a chap on the Tube who was homeless, and the woman next to me said "cos' you know you're a mug for doing that" and therein began telling me all about what she did not know about me. It happens.

I would hate this Forum became some kinda of 'walled garden' like AOL tried to be protecting people from the harshness of the open Internet (and real life) so if people wish to ask things, debate, comment, assume, get 'hot under the collar' it is all fine by me.

But when someone says:

I do not choose to live my life in public - I share a very tiny proportion of what I do, focused on boating and boats on videos that I create for my own pleasure and as an easy way to record the places I go, things that happen and changes that take place over the years. I am really happy with public comment (and criticism) but saying ..."Hopefully some others will learn from the various comments posted in this and other threads and avoid costly mistakes..." is just plain wrong.

By saying this it implies that I have made some kind of costly mistake, or am about to. I have not and I am not about to. Also I do not encourage people to follow my lead, and made this obvious when in my opening post here when I said "All I can say is don’t follow my lead with these purchases..." After all, each purchase is up to the buyer to decide if it is what they want and go about buying in the manner they wish to - this is my way of doing it and I just don't understand why I have to explain and debate the process time and again, fist with Independence now with this boat. I don't think the fact I made some videos should change anything the real difference seems to be my openness to the process.

What usually happens is someone will post here that they are buying a boat or they have bought a boat. Usually the details of which are not shared in their first post but as others congratulate them it is often asked "what boat did you get" and they will share what it and maybe where they will be mooring her.  But because I am saying here is the boat I am buying, this is the process that came to this point and this is how the deal went down it seems to cause such a splash.

Anyway - back to the boat in question. Despite the fact I have not seen the boat I have not actually paid anything for it, and I will not pay anything until I have been onboard and giving it 'the once over' should I find something not to my likening I can walk away from the deal  - it is all subject to Contract and my acceptance, an important part of the negotiations but I have secured it and all being well this Saturday will be a done deal.

Just when I thought I had sorted the mooring my Mum raised the point about it having to having to have shore power - I don't think Broads Edge offer this, but they are great value moorings and such a lovely location. Now I am considering Horning or Wroxham as possible locations - Wroxham would be nice as it is pretty central, easy to get supplies, and offers a lot of possibilities for short day trip cruises from also.

A question; a small boat (compared to your other one) will not be running fridges etc., has gas for cooking so is shore power so important?, nice to have agreed but then so might the saving in mooring fee.

23 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Of course Broadsedge has shore power.   Just got to be able to get on one of the moorings that has it from what I recall.

Thank you, I had emailed David and await confirmation - their website made no mention of such provision hence my query.

Strange that all these blow ups on any thread always seem to happen during the dark hours, (witchcraft? other dark arts are available). Having worked shifts for many years it is really understandable to me how things seem to get over important during the wee hours.

A bloke bought a boat his way, why all the fuss, he is not suggesting everyone should buy one that way.

paul

• Like 8

Thank you, I had emailed David and await confirmation - their website made no mention of such provision hence my query.

Broadsedge can accommodate all sizes of motor cruisers & sailing boats most with electricity 

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

"Broadsedge can accommodate all sizes of motor cruisers & sailing boats most with electricity"

A question; a small boat (compared to your other one) will not be running fridges etc., has gas for cooking so is shore power so important?, nice to have agreed but then so might the saving in mooring fee.

You are quite right it has a little fridge and very little in the way of any electrical draw - a small heater and provision for a television  and I suspect will have a couple of batteries for the domestic supply but it would be much nicer to have the benefit of shore power on a mooring. From popping down in the winter with additional heat (e.g a fan heater) to tube heaters in engine bay and running a host of things when moored up at base that need mains power like the ease and speed of an electric kettle verses a hob version.

However I want to get stuck in with upgrades too.

First I want to see what sort of batteries and capacity we have and how much space there may be for additional capacity and that will likely need an upgrade from the current Sterling 240v 20Amp charger in situ. I am not sure if it has an Inverter, but if it does this will need to be upgraded and additional sockets put in with an outdoor rated one in the cockpit area. A new electric macerating toilet is on the list, all new lighting (LED) in the boat and cockpit, new carpet and perhaps upholstery too.

I guess rather handy would be figuring out a name too!

• Like 1

I just don't understand why I have to explain and debate the process time and again,

You don’t.
You could choose to not share it.
You could choose to not share it on an open forum.
You could choose to not respond to the comments.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wether to survey or not surely just boils down to your own level of risk and what figure you consider too much to take a chance on, everyone has differing ideas on both and differing levels of wealth, at £30k I wouldn't have the balls to do it without a survey of some sort but would accept a recent one done for someone else.

Give Robin a break, we have to sell our lemons to someone.... :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Robin - shorepower at Broadsedge is £90 a year for the facility plus cards from David for power used. No idea of price per KW but our two tube heaters on thermo-plugs and a trickle charger used £18 odd from early November up to Monday last when I started de-winterising. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Robin

My post wasn`t just aimed at you but an observation on Johnb`s post, however I will clarify it by saying that I have very little dealings with so called social media, on this forum I will comment on various threads and occasionally post public information but nothing of my personal activities hence my life remains private, however should I post any of these activities it then becomes public and as such is open to comment good or bad, the only time there is a problem is when people refuse to accept there is an opposing view.

Fred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1