Trixie (Rascal's Fleet)

I am now but a small step away from owning another boat and as has become my way of going about these transactions they have progressed in the most unorthodox of ways.

About three weeks ago my Mum and I were talking about boats generally and over a few drinks in the Yare Pub, she suggested that what was needed as a small, practical riverboat. Something that would not cost much to run or cost too much to moor and be ready to go for her and Simon and I could use whenever I fancied too. She said I knew what I was doing so she would leave this to me. 

I therefore went away and had a look – and the first thing I came up with was a 1986 Broom 9/70. With twin upgraded Yanmar engines (2005) and a host of other improvements – the owner was in his late eighties and not in the best of health so reluctantly selling.  Well, as I said to my Mum – it is 32ft long will pass under Ludham bridge, sleeps 4 and when pushed will do 23Kts what is there not to like?

You can imagine the response this got. Back to the drawing board I went.

Then Clive posted that a couple of boats were still for sale from their hire fleet, and so at the weekend I popped over to Fineway and met one of the chaps there who showed me round a nice Sheerline 740 Aft Cockpit formally Broadland Saturn 3. This really was practical, small and economical boat and to my astonishment they let me take her for a test drive – alone. I pootled down to Wroxham Broad for some 'sea trials' and was actually really enjoying myself and the boat – sure it was basic and needed to have some things doing (if you wanted and you know what I am like) but if you wanted a boat that was ready to go with all you needed it was ready to go.and great value to boot.

I reported back to my Mum that I had found the ideal boat. She was keen but between Saturday and Sunday evening we found another one - also a Sheerline 740 Aft cockpit but at £29,950 a big jump up in price from the model over at Fineway in Wroxham

We had some more talks and decided that the least things that needed to be added to the boat to being her 'up to scratch' the better from an Inverter, to Nav Lights, to new curtains, appliances etc. We wanted something already in pristine order that we could keep that way and only improve upon and not have journey over time to reach this level.  It was decided therefore to go with the dearer model.

I have spent time emailing the Broker with offers and counter offers this morning until we reached an agreement between both sides. So, now I am but a small step from becoming the owner of another boat and I am pretty happy! I did mention that this has been done in an unorthodox manner though. All I can say is don’t follow my lead with these purchases – you will note that I have accepted the price and will hopefully be popping over to sign the Contract this weekend and pay the balance which just so happens to be the first time I will have set eyes on the boat in the flesh, and yes there is no survey being done on this boat either.

I am hopeful the rest of the process will prove as smooth as the initial phase. I guess if you are selling I am your man – quick and to the point.  Time for another series of posts and videos then...Can we all take it? I am now looking at northern river based moorings too and have made contact with David at Broads Edge. Oh and here are the details of this smart little cruiser: Broker Details

• Like 16
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Why are you looking for Northern moorings? That should just about fit in the swim platform of Indy.

Congrats be nice for your Mum and Simon to trundle about in. And for you and Sheila. Although I still reckon Sheila is taken with the Williams

22 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Lovely looking boat Robin! Since you’re building up a Fleet we’ll have to start calling you the Admiral!

Helen

I think he'd go for it but the operation to remove an eye and an arm is putting him off.

Well thats what they do to Norfolk Admirals

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

I think he'd go for it but the operation to remove an eye and an arm is putting him off.

Well thats what they do to Norfolk Admirals

But don't their boats have sails?

20 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

I think it's clear Robin knows what he is doing. It may not be how some would do it. But what's life without a little risk?

Does he ? How do you come to that conclusion ? , by robins own admittance its not the orthodox method of buying a boat and it's extremely risky , at the end of the day its not your risk its his but seriously iv bought and sold boats for a long length of time including as a business and no way would I buy even a rowing boat without viewing it and on anything more than  10k a survey too , playing with fire is one way of looking at it n trust me even with a survey you can get your fingers burned .

Now clearly robin is prepared to take this risk and he's said don't follow his lead , and that's my point , I hope people heed that , as there are plenty out there very willing to take advantage of those that wish to chance their arm , 2 boats doesn't give you as track record on buying boats and trust me even though iv bought and sold probably 60 + boats I don't consider my self as an expert , iv missed things viewing boats and had it cost me personally .

Great stuff Robin. When you first posted about the new boat before explaining the details I was rather confused as to why you'd want it but it makes more sense now. The boat looks lovely and I get the buying it unseen thing - sometimes in life you have to take a calculated risk to get what you want. 

Ricardo, I think its not so much that Robin knows [or doesnt] what he is doing, its more a case of knowing the risk he is taking, and still being willing to take the risk, he does have a good maintenance team available to him, in the form of his good friend Griff.

Does everybody take a mechanic along when buying a used car - no, yet I go out to buy an old volvo with 100,000 miles on it and trust to my judgement when I look at it and listen to it run.

Robin expressly says dont do it this way, you may get burned, but its his way and works for him.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

Ricardo, I think its not so much that Robin knows [or doesnt] what he is doing, its more a case of knowing the risk he is taking, and still being willing to take the risk, he does have a good maintenance team available to him, in the form of his good friend Griff.

Does everybody take a mechanic along when buying a used car - no, yet I go out to buy an old volvo with 100,000 miles on it and trust to my judgement when I look at it and listen to it run.

Robin expressly says dont do it this way, you may get burned, but its his way and works for him.

Until it all goes horridly wrong, I guess we have to say he does know what he is doing.

Well the worst that can happen is he has bought a lemon. Might lose some money get a few "i told you so!" Then carry on being Robin. It's not the end of the world, and if everyone behaved as they were expected to the world would be a duller place and we'd be surrounded by boring conformity. :369_sweet_potato:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Well the worst that can happen is he has bought a lemon. Might lose some money get a few "i told you so!" Then carry on being Robin. It's not the end of the world, and if everyone behaved as they were expected to the would be a duller place and we'd be surrounded by boring conformity. :369_sweet_potato:

Even lemons float and therefore could still qualify as being a boat

20 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Well the worst that can happen is he has bought a lemon. Might lose some money get a few "i told you so!" Then carry on being Robin. It's not the end of the world, and if everyone behaved as they were expected to the world would be a duller place and we'd be surrounded by boring conformity. :369_sweet_potato:

Be serous buying a boat is just that serious , it doesn't matter a fig about conformity , thing is would you personally chose the no survey sight unseen route London lad ???? I certainly wouldn't its not smart , n personally I'd rather protect my hard earned than be flippant with it .

50 minutes ago, grendel said:

Yes you trust your judgement n what is that judgement based on ? Yea experience , sure you can get away with crazy impulsive purchase's but one day they will bite you hard , and to be honest if iv made a mistake then the last thing I would do is get mates or otherwise to sort it out for me .

Sure its his risk I accept that but its just coming across on this thread and others that Its smart to be unconventional mostly by others not Robin BTW  , sometimes it works but its a hell of a risk n normally much more than most spend on cars .